Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 01-09-2015
#1 ZX5 fan

Default Car Insurance claim advice.

****ing Badger ran out on me tonight, surprisingly wasn't there when I went back though I dare say he's not happy right now. On getting home nor am I, the bumper is cracked 1/2 way up, \\daytime running light, fog light surround all mashed / missing. At the risk of stating what I assume is obvious this is going to total enough that it's a no brainer to claim on insurance?

16 years of driving I've never had to make an insurance claim, any advice on general process, things to do / avoid, any advice appreciated.

2010 Skoda Octavia VRS for info.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 01-09-2015
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

I wouldn't assume it's a no brainier to claim Dan. I'd try and get a quote before you make that call. Trouble is, you probably want to be quick so as not to leave it late.

The problem you have, is you'll have to pay your excess, and deal with the fact that a claim will put your premium of for anywhere up to the next 5 years.
Old 01-09-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Dan you'll be better just sucking it up and paying for the damage to be repaired unfortunately. I'd not bother claiming at all in this case. Your renewal will be through the roof, you'll have had a "claim" in the last 5 years, so will carry it forwards, and you'll loose at least 2 years no claims bonus.

Just pay to have the damage repaired.

Also, you are free to select who does the repair work, rather than their choice, which may not be to the standard you'd expect.

Got any photos of the damage? sounds to me like it'll be much cheaper to fix yourself.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-09-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Before you contact the insurance because once you have they log it against you anyway as a no claim accident give this fella on ebay a ring.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/eurosmartd...53.m2749.l2654

Looks like at the moment he doesn't have your bumper in stock but he may be able to get it for you.
I got a painted bumper for my daughters fiesta for £170 and a local garage fitted it for £50 you could probably fit it yourself. The excess would have cost her £250 so it saved money and the insurance cant sting her for the next five years.
The bumper was a really good quality well painted with a couple of small bottles of paint and laquer to match for any stone chips. The paint match was brilliant and 2 years on still looks great.
Old 02-09-2015
#1 ZX5 fan

Picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150902_072049nb.jpg (245.6 KB, 80 views)

Nortech is ACE!
Old 02-09-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Dan, search for parts/ replacement bumper and do it yourself, or get a recommended bodyshop or garage to do it.
Really don't bother claiming for that damage. It will cost you much more with a claim, unfortunately.

Try http://www.motorhog.co.uk/ and cooper bridge in Huddersfield.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------