Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 10-08-2013

Default airbrush newbie

HI i looking to buy an airbrush and im after some advice. Do i need to thin paint down before spraying spray patterns,cleaning any help welcomed as i havent got a clue
cheers
Ned
Old 10-08-2013

Hi, i m also just getting into the "spray-part" of the hobby... I read that an Iwata Eclipse is a decent pistol for starters. U have few choices in the Eclipse range.
For colours i use Parma Faskolor. I m using the paint without thinning it.
I ve learned a lot from Peter Chang's videos on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s4O-kK0ubM
Old 11-08-2013
Mad Member

What budget do you have for airbrush and paint ?

Iwata airbrushes rock, I've been using them for over 25 years now and I can't fault them, worth every single penny !

I recently bought one of these https://airbrushes.com/product_info....6083c4bff62535 from the airbrush centre, stunning bit of kit if you just want to lay down colours and do fades, maybe something finer for smaller details but essentially this would do you to start and isn't too much cash.

The above mentioned has a bigger nozzle so not too much thinning required however it is advisable to thin the paints slightly, maybe 10 - 20% just to help it flow a little better.

What air source do you have ? Do you have access to a compressor or will you need to buy one of those as well ? I use Bambi compressors, brilliant bits of kit and no louder than a fridge so won't irritate the neighbours. They aren't cheap but this place knock them out for a very very low rate - http://www.aircomps.co.uk/product-ca.../bambi-budget/

Hope that helps to get you started.

My paintwork thread
Old 18-08-2013

sorry to crash, this is not an answer to the above but another newbie q. I also am looking to buy and as stated there are several models in eclipse and other ranges. would you suggest a gravity fed cup or the suction feed?
Old 19-08-2013

My preference for detail work is a gravity-fed brush, mainly 'cause I find them better balanced and generally more comfortable to work with, especially in confined spaces. Either will work though.