Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 10-12-2011

Default Help identifying my purchase!

Hi there, I've just joined up here as I have decided to get myself a bit of a hobby. I used to race back in the mid 90's so thought I would start with a few childhood purchases and recently bought what I was expecting to be a Cougar 2000 from ebay.
TBH I'm not quite sure if it is or isn't as some of it reminds me of my old cars and some is all new. The driveshafts are different ( didn't the have anodised red shafts?), as is the front suspension and the bottom part of the chassis.
Any of you guys got any more of an idea, I stopped racing in 1994 so maybe this is a later version, either way it is in need of some tlc!

Old 10-12-2011

A Schumacher...
Old 10-12-2011

Gee, thanks for that! Apart from the comic genius above, anyone got any info?!
Old 10-12-2011

looks quite like a fireblade 2000 but if i remember it had a pod at either side for reciever and speedo. the front wishbones dont look like fireblade ones though inless their from one of the later models like the usa...............
Diementia would like to invite you to vote for us on Total Biker FM here : http://lnk.ms/TPsV9 and share this link. Please also share this link.Thankyou for your support \m/ www.reverbnation.com/diementia
Old 10-12-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

i would say fireblade as well
Old 10-12-2011

It's a Cougar 2000. It's a later one with the sacs front end and plastic driveshafts. Also has the laydown shock conversion fitted.

They also came with silver and red annodized driveshafts, but these were prone to bending so replaced.
Old 10-12-2011
Mad Member

I would say Cougar 2000 '95 Team with the lay down front shock conversion.
Old 10-12-2011

Thanks for all the replies so far, I'm not entirely convinced it's a cougar 2000 although gearbox and rear half of the car tell me otherwise.
I remember the original lower chassis plate had pods on the sides and I've had a close look and there's definitely no cutting or filing been done to this.
I have had a bit of a google for images of Fireblades and all the ones that I have found so far all have a different top chassis plate that is open where the servo sits, maybe it is a cougar? The schumacher site only has instructions for the 94 cougar 2000 and doesn't have a copy of the Fireblade that I can look at either.
Old 10-12-2011

Definately a Cougar 2000, later 95 team version, see : http://www.retromodelisme.com/manuel...chumacher.html
Old 10-12-2011
Mad Member

Cougar 95 with laydown front end conversion. It isn't a 95 Team.

Narrow chassis means it's a Cougar 95. The early Cougar 2000 cars had a wider chassis so you had somewhere to mount your radio gear, the Cougar 95 had this narrow chassis and the kit included two vac formed lexan pockets that screwed on to either side of the top deck to sit the receiver and ESC into, although it was a lot simpler just to stick them the undertray.

Front end is Schumachers SACS, standing for Schumacher Active Caster System. The idea is that as the chassis pitches forwards and backwards under acceleration and braking the caster on the front suspension stays the same. It was standard on the 95.

Laydown front shocks was an option part from Schumacher.

Plastic driveshafts were an upgrade from the alloy ones, the plastic ones didn't bend or wear out and were more efficient.

You have the standard Cougar 95 model as it has battery slots in the chassis, the 95 Team version had a separate battery tray and a big hole in the chassis, so you could move the battery to adjust weight balance. The 95 Team also had a different rear suspension with a quite different rear wishbone mount.

If you want to check to compare with the standard 95 manual above, there is the manual for the 95 Team here
Old 10-12-2011

Fantastic, thanks guys! Once I'm done with this one I have a CAT 2000, CAT 3000, 98 EC and a Losi XX Kinwald Edition to sort out so I will be keeping busy!
Anywhere around the South East/ Medway towns that I could race these old things, I think it will be a while before I get to that stage but it would be good to get a bit of research in first! Thanks again, Nick.
Old 14-12-2011

This looks like a Cougar 95 chassis, laydown front end conversion and the cougar 2000 rear end!!! My confusion is this the rear wishbones mount differently on the 95 chassis you need the 95 shock mount and metal pivot bracket,
this clearly has the rear cougar 2000 shock mount....
How are the rear wishbones being held on this car??

Also the front chassis gate is missing and the servo is mounted further back than normal, looks like the servo might have been to big for the regular mounting place.

Mick
Old 16-12-2011

I've taken a couple more pictures and as far as I can see with the exception of the driveshafts it looks standard cougar 2000 at the back to me. The rear wishbones are held on with pins and circlips that go through what looks like a plastic mount that is then screwed/bolted onto the chassis.

I see what you mean about the front gate missing, although the servo doesn't look any bigger than a normal servo, it is an Acoms AS-12 servo.
Old 16-12-2011

That is not using standard Cougar 2000 servo mounts, hence the chassis gate being missing due to the servo sitting further back than designed.
Old 16-12-2011

I see what you mean about the servo mount. I have just had a look at the instructions for the 95 team, posted a couple of posts up and they should be "L" shaped servo mounts to move it forwards. I think getting this back to what it should be could take some time....!
Old 16-12-2011

Confusion all cleared up now....i have never seen this chassis before...
But Terry.sc said it was a Cougar 95 and not a Cougar 95t so that would be the difference.

Mick
Old 16-12-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickos77 View Post
I've taken a couple more pictures and as far as I can see with the exception of the driveshafts it looks standard cougar 2000 at the back to me. The rear wishbones are held on with pins and circlips that go through what looks like a plastic mount that is then screwed/bolted onto the chassis.
Ahem..
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Cougar 95 with laydown front end conversion. It isn't a 95 Team.

The 95 Team also had a different rear suspension with a quite different rear wishbone mount.
The absolutely correct full name for it is Cougar 2000/95 Spec, and is the same car in the manual posted by CAT3K above.
The standard 95 has the same rear suspension as the original 2000, but with the 95 shock mount, 95 top link mount, 95 driveshafts, narrow XPC chassis and SACS front suspension.