Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 21-02-2012

on another note, will the ZX-S body and undertray fit on the Optima Mid LWB chassis? its becuase i see its alot more similar to the Optima Mid body in shape, than to the ZX-R.
Old 21-02-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam lancia View Post
Does anyone recognize this (tiny!) picture of the front knuckle and carrier? I've got it saved as ZX-5 front knuckles and hubs but I can't seem to find anything like them online anywhere. They're very similar looking to the XX4 style knuckles and hubs. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Best to contact kyosho as these are new, i think were first used at the worlds as per jimmys reports.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 21-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
on another note, will the ZX-S body and undertray fit on the Optima Mid LWB chassis? its becuase i see its alot more similar to the Optima Mid body in shape, than to the ZX-R.
If the mids the same length as a zxr then yes it will fit
Answer UK team driver
Old 21-02-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
If it works why change it. Anyway I have this weekend rebuilt my ZX-S front end with the ZX-5 steering knuckle arms and are a better design so may resolve a few problems. Iso you may find these simpler as no spacers are needed under the knuckle arm, only one is needed ontop so makes it a lot less problematic if you loose the king pin.

Now next job is to get onto the diffs. I have a set of the original ZXR diffs but have never used them since day one so any ideas how to keep the damn thing from coming loose? Do you thread lock the screw or is there another solution? My excuse is I only used gear diffs then upgraded to pure ten diffs.

You still used the ZXS caster block ???

Regarding the diff threadlock or drill it out and replace it with an UM-121 if you can find some. The last tip might need some machining

mvh Isobarik
Old 21-02-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Does anyone recognize this (tiny!) picture of the front knuckle and carrier? I've got it saved as ZX-5 front knuckles and hubs but I can't seem to find anything like them online anywhere. They're very similar looking to the XX4 style knuckles and hubs. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Yeah its from the zx5 but the where on pavidis worlds machine so i dont think they are avaliable to the public.

The zx5 SP,FS,FS2 use the same front susp but in plastic.

mvh isobarik
Old 21-02-2012

Quote:
There the metal hubs that were used at a Worlds event prior to the SP Lazer upgrade. In other words they are one-off Kyosho prototypes that were used before the SP kit went into production.
Old 21-02-2012

the thing is i like the original lazers c hubs and kunckles better, its because i can run the front end narrower than the rear, this way i can have more steering than running the front wide, with the ZX-5 parts, the front is only wide, no adjustment can be done.
Old 21-02-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Yes, especially considering the ZX-S body is just a Mid Custom body with a couple of lumps added to clear the ZX-S layshaft and the steering assembly.
Old 22-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Yes, especially considering the ZX-S body is just a Mid Custom body with a couple of lumps added to clear the ZX-S layshaft and the steering assembly.
i am just worried the undertray slope at the sides might not line up with the optima Mid OT-122 chassis sides. will they line up nicely? The ZX-S body to me looks nicer becuase of one improvement over the Optima mid LWB body, the side windows extend all the way to the back like for the SWB, whereas the LWB mids side windows are like the Kyosho integras side windows. also will the ZX-S body fit directly on the LWB mid undertray?
Old 22-02-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
i am just worried the undertray slope at the sides might not line up with the optima Mid OT-122 chassis sides. will they line up nicely?
The ZX-S undertray is that shape because it was designed to fit the OT-122 chassis.

I did a body comparison here the overall shape of both bodies is identical.
The main point to consider is the rear section, the ZX-S doesn't have the two bumps that fit over the shock mount so you have to cut slots to clear it. You will notice the clear ZX-S body rear has the same moulding marks as the Mid Custom, showing they are from the same mould.

As it is from the same mould that was modified by Kyosho, the ZX-S body will fit a Mid Custom undertray.
Old 22-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
The ZX-S undertray is that shape because it was designed to fit the OT-122 chassis.

I did a body comparison here the overall shape of both bodies is identical.
The main point to consider is the rear section, the ZX-S doesn't have the two bumps that fit over the shock mount so you have to cut slots to clear it. You will notice the clear ZX-S body rear has the same moulding marks as the Mid Custom, showing they are from the same mould.

As it is from the same mould that was modified by Kyosho, the ZX-S body will fit a Mid Custom undertray.
hey man thanks !! i will get a ZX-S body later, by the way, i dont mount my bodies on my MID using the fronts and the rears becuase i use ZX-R shock towers, i cut off the front and rear sections clean off, see these pics.

Old 23-02-2012
Mad Member

Welsh the LA-63 are ordered but i havent recived them yet, just wanted to keep you updated.

mvh Isobarik
Old 23-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobarik View Post
Welsh the LA-63 are ordered but i havent recived them yet, just wanted to keep you updated.

mvh Isobarik
Cheers mate. Much appreciated.
Answer UK team driver
Old 23-02-2012

Quote:
hey man thanks !! i will get a ZX-S body later, by the way, i dont mount my bodies on my MID using the fronts and the rears becuase i use ZX-R shock towers, i cut off the front and rear sections clean off, see these pics.

This is a Mid, nice work.
Answer UK team driver
Old 27-02-2012

Update

Guys, I am getting the CAD drawing for the gearbox today so will start tonight on it and aim to get two sides made up by the end of this week.

Also may be a good idea in getting alcyon involed in the design of the slipper as his Mid slipper redesign using the B4 slipper parts looks stunning.

Also I have managed to get hold of a hand made tub chassis for the ZXR and have sent off to be made as well so a mold will be available soon. I will post a picture of the made tub chassis but FYI the mold will be as though the chassis is a full cabon fibre tub so if you want cell holes you can have.

As ive been spending all my money on my house I have been unable to do this until now as my chassis and top deck are still broken. Still cant wait to get new ones and fit and test properly.
Answer UK team driver
Old 27-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Update

Also may be a good idea in getting alcyon involed in the design of the slipper as his Mid slipper redesign using the B4 slipper parts looks stunning.

hehe thanks for the compliments welshy40. i will see how i can intergrate the B4 part with the ZX top shaft. if you need the CAD drawing i did for the Optima mid shaft let me know.
Old 27-02-2012
Mad Member

How did you manage to break the chassi and topdeck ???

mvh Isobarik
Old 27-02-2012

Quote:
hehe thanks for the compliments welshy40. i will see how i can intergrate the B4 part with the ZX top shaft. if you need the CAD drawing i did for the Optima mid shaft let me know.
Yes please, id prefer gif cad drawings please
Answer UK team driver
Old 27-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobarik View Post
How did you manage to break the chassi and topdeck ???

mvh Isobarik
Hitting a brick wall at area 51 at the end of the straight. Speed was quick and would have made the top 40 if it hadnt have interferance. Gutted as nothing else broke other than the top deck and chassis. No dents on hubs or wishbones so any other car and it would be worse. Also annoyed as id gone from last to first and was on for a really good first round time hence why i used the zxs.
Answer UK team driver
Old 01-03-2012

There is an auction on ebay uk now for 2 pairs of front diffs. The seller says these are optima mid diffs but to me they look like Lazer Gear diffs. The seller isnt too sure but you guys can help confirm that i am right ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...:X:RTQ:GB:1123