Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 01-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
There is an auction on ebay uk now for 2 pairs of front diffs. The seller says these are optima mid diffs but to me they look like Lazer Gear diffs. The seller isnt too sure but you guys can help confirm that i am right ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...:X:RTQ:GB:1123
Yeah those are lazer diffs.

mvh Isobarik
Old 01-03-2012

Definately Lazer gear diffs, the pulley is the wrong pitch for Optima

Here's a pic of Optima/Mid geared diffs. You can see the belt pitch is totally different:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tL3VrG8BIg...opy_resize.jpg
Old 01-03-2012

Quote:
There is an auction on ebay uk now for 2 pairs of front diffs. The seller says these are optima mid diffs but to me they look like Lazer Gear diffs. The seller isnt too sure but you guys can help confirm that i am right ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...:X:RTQ:GB:1123
They do look like they are a set of gear diffs for the lazer.

And the front and rear diff of the lazer is the same.
Kyosho TF6 SP
Kyosho Plazma Ra
Old 01-03-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Minus the drive cups
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 02-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek23k View Post
Definately Lazer gear diffs, the pulley is the wrong pitch for Optima

Here's a pic of Optima/Mid geared diffs. You can see the belt pitch is totally different:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tL3VrG8BIg...opy_resize.jpg
hey interesting pic. what blogspot is this?
Old 02-03-2012

Sigh... I made some terrible mistakes and learnt a very valuable lesson with my lazer.

After a tired some day of work, I got home to break in my new ball diffs. Tightening the slipper to do so, the ball diffs are now nice and smooth. After the diffs, I had to set my slipper again. Being tired and all, somehow I tried to set up the slipper as a 2wd. (holding the rear tires and hit throttle to get the front wheels to jump around 3 inches). As you know, this did not end well, the front didn't jump, so I throttle some more. After 2 tries, both front and rear belts snapped. In shock of realizing what I have done, I quickly disassemble the lazer and found out that the pulleys and diffs are all okay. That was a close one.

Amazingly, the teeth on the blue belts that snapped have no wear on them. I guess under a lot of torque, something have got to give. Luckily it's the belt.

So the lesson is, don't try to set up your car when you are dead tired. For some reason, the most obvious things will go unnoticed.
Kyosho TF6 SP
Kyosho Plazma Ra
Old 02-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosh123 View Post
Sigh...

So the lesson is, don't try to set up your car when you are dead tired. For some reason, the most obvious things will go unnoticed.
I totally understand, but eventhough i am very tired, if i dont fix my car on that day itself, it will always bother me even when i go to bed, its like something that i didnt finish...so i just have to go fix the car..same thing that happened to you !
Old 02-03-2012

Im the same, it drives me crazy so have to rebuild then and there. Well first drawing has come my way and is now being redone, then when I am happy will add my changes and get the first two plates made. Im going to have to make the gearbox minus a chassis as mine is still broken and the mold will take a little while to make me my tub chassis. Still will show pics when the gearbox is made.

Also the belts snapping is a problem we will have until we sort the slipper clutch out. Ive never managed to snap a front though which has kindof surprised me that you managed that. Due to this my next task after the gearbox CF design has been sorted is the slipper layshaft.

Ive also got to get alloy pivot blocks as well as mine are bent fractionally after the crash (just noticed) so new set needed.
Answer UK team driver
Old 02-03-2012

Quote:
hey interesting pic. what blogspot is this?
I just grabbed it from a google search, I did the search again to find the page for you:

http://theoptimahouse.blogspot.com/2...or-optima.html

Looking at this makes me wonder, what would it handle like with saddle pack lipos, carbon chassis and modern or ZXR suspension geometry? ;Dx
Old 02-03-2012

Guys,

Do anyone know what's the ID of the B4 Slipper plates?

I want to use the most out of the B4 slipper pads. I made one set out of stainless, but because the material is too thin, it bends under load.

Thanks
Kyosho TF6 SP
Kyosho Plazma Ra
Old 03-03-2012

Quote:
I just grabbed it from a google search, I did the search again to find the page for you:

http://theoptimahouse.blogspot.com/2...or-optima.html

Looking at this makes me wonder, what would it handle like with saddle pack lipos, carbon chassis and modern or ZXR suspension geometry? ;Dx
dude, i am already doing that. My optima Mid Has Lazer ZX-R arms, c hubs, rear hubs and shock towers. it also has the B4 Slipper clutch. and i use a Lipo 5400mah battery with 10.5T motor. I exchanged the standard middle plastic gear to pargu2000s aluminium one which handle loads better. i am pleased to say the car drives better than it did, and i am waiting for my big bore shocks to come for the ultimate rough track handling. here is my blog.
http://superturbooptimamidspecialzx-5.blogspot.com/

and my videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdBUdcm15Xg
Old 03-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosh123 View Post
Guys,

Do anyone know what's the ID of the B4 Slipper plates?

I want to use the most out of the B4 slipper pads. I made one set out of stainless, but because the material is too thin, it bends under load.

Thanks
internal ID is 4.6mm, and the flats are wee bit less than 3.2mm. be careful you need to tune the tolerances carefully.
Old 03-03-2012

Quote:
dude, i am already doing that. My optima Mid Has Lazer ZX-R arms, c hubs, rear hubs and shock towers. it also has the B4 Slipper clutch. and i use a Lipo 5400mah battery with 10.5T motor. I exchanged the standard middle plastic gear to pargu2000s aluminium one which handle loads better. i am pleased to say the car drives better than it did, and i am waiting for my big bore shocks to come for the ultimate rough track handling. here is my blog.
http://superturbooptimamidspecialzx-5.blogspot.com/

and my videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdBUdcm15Xg
Oh I know and very good it looks too but I was talking about doing it with an Optima, not a mid, so it would be rear engined! ;Dx
Old 03-03-2012

Default broken part

Guys i had some fun today with my Pal, with His ZX-R and my Optima Mid. Unfortunately he broke a bellcrank arm. i told him to buy a servo saver but he didnt. i expected the servo to go but i never expected the left bellcrank arm to snap. I took out my ZX bellcrank arm to fix it in his car, but mine snapped too while fixing it in ! so now i have a favour to ask from you guys, since i know most of you have the blue kyosho steering parts, can any of you guys sell to me the bellcrank arm as shown in the picture ? i need at least 2. The bellcrank arm in the pic is super glued back, just to keep them together, but i defo cant use them for sure they will snap again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0455.jpg (279.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-03-2012

Default OT-66

I raced around with my friends ZX-R today and found something interesting. I lent him my OT-66 tyres on Optima Mid rims, and i used Proline M3s. on hard packed surface like cement, the M3s were a little better. But on the grass and loose pebbled sand, I was eating his dust ! Everytime i punched the gas out of a corner, my rear end swung around, wasting precious time, and everytime i tried going into a corner, i understeered. But my friend with his OT-66 equiped ZX-R just shot off with traction and lots of steering without loosing control ! These tyres are worth a try at my local track the next time i am there. i placed them on my MID and it handled with almost perfect traction and more steering. in fact on the grass, i almost traction rolled a few times. Here is some pic my buddy took of his ZX-R with my rims and tyres.

Old 03-03-2012

Quote:
Oh I know and very good it looks too but I was talking about doing it with an Optima, not a mid, so it would be rear engined! ;Dx
Maybe you could try that since i dont have an optima. But i heard the optima will understeer because of the rear motor overhang.
Old 03-03-2012

Quote:
Guys i had some fun today with my Pal, with His ZX-R and my Optima Mid. Unfortunately he broke a bellcrank arm. i told him to buy a servo saver but he didnt. i expected the servo to go but i never expected the left bellcrank arm to snap. I took out my ZX bellcrank arm to fix it in his car, but mine snapped too while fixing it in ! so now i have a favour to ask from you guys, since i know most of you have the blue kyosho steering parts, can any of you guys sell to me the bellcrank arm as shown in the picture ? i need at least 2. The bellcrank arm in the pic is super glued back, just to keep them together, but i defo cant use them for sure they will snap again.
Look on ebay under lazer zxr or zx and the blue items are there
Answer UK team driver
Old 03-03-2012

Quote:
I raced around with my friends ZX-R today and found something interesting. I lent him my OT-66 tyres on Optima Mid rims, and i used Proline M3s.
If you check that Optima House blog there's a link to someone who is making OT-66 repros now x
Old 04-03-2012

Quote:
If you check that Optima House blog there's a link to someone who is making OT-66 repros now x
yes i am using those.
Old 04-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Look on ebay under lazer zxr or zx and the blue items are there
welshy i just want the normal parts not the blue ones. those are too expensive. i figured since many of you already use the blue parts, the originals will be sitting idle doing nothing, might as well sell them to me.