Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 23-08-2010

Send a message via ICQ to ApexSpeed Send a message via AIM to ApexSpeed Send a message via MSN to ApexSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to ApexSpeed Send a message via Skype™ to ApexSpeed
Exclamation 2010 U.S. ROAR 1/10th Electric Off Road Nationals - Photos

This past weekend was the US ROAR 1/10th Electric National held near to me at Leisure Hours Raceway in Joliet, Illinois. I spent most of the last 9 months putting together a program to plan to race this event, but life takes unexpected turns sometimes, and I remain on the sidelines with a camera in-hand.

There is a photo gallery from yesterday's mains found here. Lots of Kyosho content, for some reason.

Great track, awesome racing, excellent turn-out in all classes. Wish I could have been racing, but it's just been one of those years for me. At least I got to shoot some of the mains, though.

Any and all feedback appreciated.

doug

Old 23-08-2010

Cool pics

But just a silly question. Didn't the drivers make their own tire rule ? Since there a some pics with cars with differen tires.
Old 23-08-2010

Send a message via ICQ to ApexSpeed Send a message via AIM to ApexSpeed Send a message via MSN to ApexSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to ApexSpeed Send a message via Skype™ to ApexSpeed

ROAR makes the tire spec rules for some classes, not the drivers. Not all of the photos in the gallery are from the Mod classes, so there are classes that have open tire rules.
Old 23-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

you got a gallery posted up somewhere?
Old 23-08-2010

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
There is a photo gallery from yesterday's mains found here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
you got a gallery posted up somewhere

Heheh, yup. Linked in the first post.
Old 24-08-2010

Quote:
There is a photo gallery from yesterday's mains found here.

Any and all feedback appreciated.
Make a link we can easily find
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
you got a gallery posted up somewhere?
DCM
see red text above. I had to twice in 1st post
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 24-08-2010

Great pictures.....
Was there a lack of Durangos ?
Old 24-08-2010

Ta.... I was tired... honest!!
Old 24-08-2010

Yeah, links in the forum body don't have underlines and can't be colored, so it's hard to call it out as a link.

There was one Durango in the lower mains, I believe. You have to realize that Durango just recently got distribution in the United States, so there still aren't that many here unfortunately. Plus, 4wd is such a small class in the US now, that it's tough to justify a car that is more than double the cost of either an Associated B44 and Losi XXX4. There weren't even that many Schumachers out there this weekend.

Just a note, I was only shooting the triple A and some of the B mains. I didn't have time to get everything there, but most of the cars in the higher mains were accounted for. Lots of Losi and Associated cars, for sure.
Old 24-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Lots of Losi and Associated cars, for sure.
Mainly XXX4s or are XX4s more popular out there?
Old 24-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetbee View Post
Mainly XXX4s or are XX4s more popular out there?
Depends on the track. Most tracks in the US are smooth, high bite clay or blue groove hardpack, where the XXX4 is the car to have. I didn't see one XX4 out there this weekend, if that tells you anything.

On tracks that get rutted or are loose surface, such as tracks that see a lot of 1/8th scale abuse, the XX4 has an advantage. Parts supply for the XX4 though, can be a problem, so I don't know if a lot of people run them anyway, as good as the car is.

doug
Old 24-08-2010

Send a message via Skype™ to PositivoNegativo

Quote:
Yeah, links in the forum body don't have underlines and can't be colored, so it's hard to call it out as a link.

There was one Durango in the lower mains, I believe. You have to realize that Durango just recently got distribution in the United States, so there still aren't that many here unfortunately. Plus, 4wd is such a small class in the US now, that it's tough to justify a car that is more than double the cost of either an Associated B44 and Losi XXX4. There weren't even that many Schumachers out there this weekend.
not much difference..

Team Durango DEX410R: 349$

Losi XXX-4: 280$
Associated B44: 310$
Kyosho ZX-5 FS2: 419$
Old 24-08-2010

I was speaking of the non-R version, but still, they are very new to the US and people have not had much time to get them in their hands before this weekend. The other cars you mentioned have been here for many years already.

And Durango has no factory or team presence in the US at all, so that's the main reason why there are none in the photos.
Old 24-08-2010

Hi Doug,
lovely pictures you got there. would you mind sharing your camera setup and lenses used? thks.
Old 24-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankyew View Post
Hi Doug, lovely pictures you got there. would you mind sharing your camera setup and lenses used? thks.
Thanks! Sure, the camera is a Nikon D70S using my cheep-o Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G lens. The lens is completely unusable on a windy day because it's so light (plastic body), but if you are shooting stuff like this that you can use a mono-pod or at least brace yourself really well while seated, it can give some great results for not a lot of cash.

I shot everything in Shutter priority mode, at a speed of 1/1000 or above, so that explains the lack of depth of field in some of the static grid shots that were shot with a pretty long lens focal length from where I was standing.

doug
Old 24-08-2010

thks for the info Doug. will try using a cheap dslr one of these days.
cheers.
Old 24-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thanks Doug.
They are great pictures