Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 07-03-2010

Default front shock tower breaking

i´m breaking 1 or 2 front shock every race...
It breaks by the upper holes. Are u guys also breaking?
I´m not the only at the track breaking it...

What can i do ?
Old 07-03-2010

Ouch that's a pretty expensive break. If your breaking 4mm carbon fiber that's a pretty serious crash.. somebody needs to make an aluminum one
Old 07-03-2010

Haven't broke one so far have you tried not driving too fast? Are sure your shocks are not binding?
Old 07-03-2010
Mad Member

Something else must be wrong, most of the time a hard impact to the front shock tower should break the front bulkhead not the tower. Is everything on the front of your car standard?
Old 07-03-2010

I have noticed that some holes for the shock standoff is very tight. if it is just make the hole slightly bigger just so it slide in and dont have to use force.
And dont overtight the nut.
Old 07-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

Jeez!!!

I can't imagine one actually breaking, they're that tough!

I don't think I've seen one go yet, even at worksop, and that surface grips the shock towers when you land upside down.
I landed upside down the first time I raced it there and the shoc tower survived, but it broke the upper gearbox casing, as that was the weaker point.
So I can only imagine they are monster crashes or the surface you race on is a bit strange?
Old 08-03-2010

i had some hard crashes and nothing break. but just a small flipp and they break. All i´ve seen break by the holes. I´m racing on carpet. Under the carpet it´s hard floor...

This time i tried nuts with larger base, and also break... anything is wrong.. and the no hard crash on breaking...
Old 08-03-2010

Really not sure whats happening dude but ive yet to break a single shock tower in nearly 6 months, racing just about every week.

The only thing ive broke on the car is a front bulkhead, and that was due to someone driving into the front of my car at full speed!
Old 08-03-2010

Same problem as I was having, everyone shot down my theory and solution.
Old 08-03-2010

what was your theory and solution?
Old 08-03-2010

lol Dont crash.

Joking apart though, as some other have siad, i cant see how these things would break. I have had some heavy high speed rolls and flips and nothing.
Old 08-03-2010

The material they use is almost aircraft grade, making it very strong, but slightly more brittle upon severe impacts as almost all of the glue is removed. I use fiberlyte shock towers which are 'laid up' carbon fiber and have more glue left in, allowing the product to be slightly flexible and a little more forgiving.
The problem is when you crash, the shock tower digs into the carpet and breaks along the weakest point- the one with a hole in the middle. Since changing to fiberlyte shock towers i have smashed my car into walls, dug the tower into carpet when coming off big jumps upside-down, wiped out other cars, and not had even a crack!
Old 08-03-2010

On the back of this, I know loads of people have not had an issue, but someone who crashes more regularly like a beginner, may break things others dont, and i think a lot has to go down to the way you land, you might just be unlucky and catch the tip of the tower in 'the wrong place at the wrong time', i did 6 meetings with loads of crashes without a problem, then all of a sudden I broke 2 shock towers in as many meetings!
Old 08-03-2010
Mad Member

May sound silly but have you considered how you crash?

If you watch a lot of top drivers when they are crashing, you will notice they are revving the nuts off their cars trying to keep it moving and adjusting the angle. It really is the weirdest thing ever when you try it yourself as your initial reflex is to let go of everything and wince, but having tried it this last season it actually works and I have the feeling that I have broken less due to this.

If you're snapping the original towers try Atomic Carbon ones. Might not be as stiff but that is a good thing sometimes.
Old 11-03-2010

I would love to see pics of these busted shock towers as I dont see how you could bust a tower wout busting the front bulkhead first..I have broken 2x front bulkheads and getting a bit annoyed as they are weak behind the shock tower where the 2x screws go in from the sides that connects the top plate and just leaves no meat for strength here and this is where they are cracking..wish they made alloy ones as the crashes arent big ones but havent broken a tower..we race on clay so maybe carpet puts the towers under more stress?