Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 29-01-2012

Default Which Noob Brand?

Guys,

Looking to buy an electric 1/10 off road.

I get the impression Ansmann are the way forward but the boy likes the look of some of the Tamiya's.

I don't seen anyone bigging up the Tamiya's, should I avoid?

Thanks in advance
Old 29-01-2012
Mad Member

The tamiya's are awesome cars, I run a Trf511 4wd. It's an easy car to driver and very forgiving. The latest 4wd is the trf502, again a very good 4wd car.

The main problem in the past was spares. However loads of shops stock them now.
Old 29-01-2012

Whilst I have no experience of them myself, the Ansmann cars offer exceptional value for money and I have seen them perform as well as anything else.

The Tamiya's I think you're referring to aren't really in the same league as the Ansmann - or any competition level buggy for that matter. They're really designed for bashing - which they do a great job of. But they are not geared towards racing particularly. That is not to say that Tamiya don't make race machines too, they certainly do. The TRF201 2wd and 502 / 511 4wd buggies are all excellent cars and well supported on here. However, they don't fall into the same price category of the Ansmann's and can be tricky to get parts for in the UK.
Old 29-01-2012
Mad Member

Might help if you write which cars exactly you're looking at and what you want to be doing with them ie. racing, bashing about the park etc.
Old 29-01-2012

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not sure which model I'm after right now. This would be my first proper purchase and its all a bit bewildering.

I'd like something that can be upgraded should it need it. It will most likely spend most of its life bashing around the local BMX track or the park.

I quite like the look of the Ansmann Blizzard & Tamiya Sand Viper, my boy (who its more for) likes the look of the Tamiya Super Fighter.

I pretty much just want best bang for buck. I have around £175.

All recommendations (any brand) very much appreciated!!

Thanks Guys
Old 29-01-2012
Mad Member

Ansmann mad monkey. Get down to your local race meeting and see if you want to race, then make your mind up!
Old 29-01-2012
Mad Member

Going from what you say the car will be used for I think your boy might have chosen the better car

The blizzard is geared more towards starting out racing and driving on tracks. It is really good for that but won't last too lang if it is not cleaned and maintained regularly.
The Super Fighter is more basic and rugged. If it's going to be used for bashing about this will be easier to keep running nicely with fairly little effort.
It's not so good on tracks though (read really bad).
The Sand Viper will be marginally better on tracks and is slightly better than the Super Fighter but that advantage will be lost if it isn't properly maintained as well.

Basically if he just wants to throw a battery into it and drive it, the super fighter is great. If he's interested in the technology the sand viper will be great too. Stay away from the blizzard if you don't want to put a lot of effort into it yet.
Old 29-01-2012

Thanks Sparrow.

Aside from Tamiya and Ansmann, where would you spend £175 if you were starting out?

I'm happy to tinker and realistically we'll be most likely throwing it around the local bmx tracks.

Old 29-01-2012
Mad Member

You might want to check Traxxas out as well. Pretty tough and fairly indestructible (or so I've been told)
Old 29-01-2012

Best 2wd bang for buck..

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-edge...roducts/365621

Or 4wd..

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-vant...products/40388

Everything in the box, brushless, Lipo & charger, 2.4Ghz radio, or the truggy version..

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-sieg...roducts/365626

Maybe not the best for racing/upgrading but certainly good for bashing & certainly a big bang for your £££'s.

Traxxas as mentioned, the Bandit, though been out a while now is tough, fast, everything included & can be upgraded to brushless: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-...products/33021

Big choice these days, you want to decide if it'll ever be raced, whether you want a buggy, truggy, monster truck, 2wd or /4wd...

http://www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com/
Old 29-01-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

If you want something to bash, is easy to drive and looks good for the kids I'd up the budget (or watch eBay) to £200 and get an HPI Blitz ready to run truck. Damn near indestructible and if you ever fancy a go on the track you won't be totally embarrassed (or in kid speak = disheartened to the point of giving up). Ansmann do a short course truck too, not sure about the quality as no personal experience of them. Avoid really cheap kit though, remember the saying "Buy cheap, buy twice".

If your son is really young he may be right about the Super Fighter and if he enjoys driving it and wants to get more into the hobby you can always sell it and get something more competent later on. Bear in mind some Tamiya Spares aren't cheap as you often have to buy a whole parts sprue or screw bag for some of the basic cars rather than just the specific bit you may break.
Old 29-01-2012

I agree with Dan...

I have the FTX Carnage and love it!!

The vantage brushed version which might be a better start car is only £90 and would be the perfect place to start RC both bashing and racing. The FTX range also come with a large range of up grades and spares support.

I also think the Vantage is one of the coolest looking 4x4 available... it just looks mean

J

ANVIL-GFX
Old 30-01-2012

Thanks Guys,

The boy is 3 (nearly 4) but I bought him a Scooby for christmas and as its on road, we are really limited where to take it, hence the reason for an off road (plus the scooby was quite cheap and he seems to have taken to the cars like a duck to water!!).

I'll check them out and work out which one to go for.

As a newbie, I have read a whole lot on this forum and was convinced Ansmann was the way forward but now speaking with you lot, it doesn't seem to necessarily be the brand of choice.

My brother in lam has a HPI Nitro 'On Road' but its far too much like hard work for when the littlun wants to go out.

Thanks again
Old 30-01-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBChunks View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I pretty much just want best bang for buck. I have around £175.
Though I'm a Tamiya fan, if you want the best specs/performance for your money, I could never recommend a Tamiya. Only the TRF line of cars has prices that are kind of in the range of the competition, but chassis' like the DT02 (that hide under the Super Fighter and Sand Viper shell) are from before the Brushless/LiPo age, so their drivetrain and chassis though durable won't be up to the job of handling any sort of power. Perhaps your son won't be using big power plants in his car yet, but that time may come This problem also becomes apparent when you screw off the motor/spur gear cover: 3 (I recall) gearing options and no slipper clutch! The only thing it was 'ahead' of it's time with was the gear diff (but as standard it's not ready to be oil-filled)

Don't get me wrong, they are nice chassis', but for the money? Though of course, when I think about my childhood RCs, my preference mainly went for the aesthetics of the car, so if you keep that in mind...

I think a Mad Rat wouldn't be a bad start. The plastics aren't as strong as that of other brands' offerings I heard, but then again it's price is considerably lower as well. Any broken parts could be replaced by that of the competition version that Ansmann/Team C sell, which should give superior durability over the Mad Rat's standard parts. The spec (on paper) is pretty good and I heard it's handling is decent. And because the car is relatively cheap, perhaps a 'better' looking body will fit in the budget.
Old 30-01-2012
Mad Member

If you are looking to build the car, Tamiya offer the PERFECT building experience. The instructions are clear, the cars go together exactly right, and are relatively straightforward to build with the right tools. The bodies are often unusual but Tamiya go to a lot of effort with the sticker sheets and shapes which makes it much more of a modelling experience. You can't really go wrong.

This is the case with all Tamiya's from a £70 Super Fighter to a £400+ TRF car.

However, the lower end Tamiya's do not really cope well with heavy bashing or a racetrack. They are intended for use in the garden or in the park with nothing much more powerful than the kit motor. That doesn't suit everyone.

Ansmann etc. are probably more capable on a track or under heavy use but the build quality is not the same.

Personally speaking, for a first car the Tamiya is a good choice, especially for a younger driver. I think everyone should have a Tamiya in their lives at one point.
Old 30-01-2012

Thanks Guys,

You mention getting different body shells. Where do you get them from? The ones with the links are limited, is there somewhere else you;d look?

Also, are the wheels interchangeable?

Still trying to work out which one to buy. Would like to order tonight so we can go out at the weekend!
Old 05-02-2012

Default trf502

if I were looking to buy a trf502 where would i get one from? cant find any???
Old 06-02-2012

I went for a Mad monkey in the end, will start building it up this week

Also ordered a clear shell from Eric, will most likely do something very simple in terms of paint.