Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 01-04-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to BenG Send a message via MSN to BenG
Default Getting back into racing?

Hey guys, I used to race tourers on a fairly regular basis, got rather good at it but quite racing back in 2006. RC racing is a very rewarding and enjoyable sport and I have from time to time kept my eye in on what's been happening. I checked today and there are so many new companies and manufacturers out, it looks like brushless and lipo have become the norm and all in all things have really flown on.

I want to get back into racing, but have no idea which car is the defaulto car at the mo. I have a B4 in the loft which is custom built (don't ask) and I remember at the time, in 2WD atleast the B4 and the Losi XK2 or something been the 2 front runners. I also had an X10 for a while, I must state that I prefer 4WD really, always liked the look of the Jconcepts B44, but I see Associated now make one (my favourite manufacturer) and the Durango cars look like they need to be bought just to appreciate the engineering. What do you all think? I know it's a massively open ended question really.
Old 01-04-2011

hello,im new member in this forum.
Old 01-04-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Dust off the B4, it's still a very popular car. 2wd off-road is my favourite class - 4wds are harder to maintain!

Of the 4wds out there now, there's the new B44.1 (albeit quite a bit more expensive than the B44 was), Durango DEX410 (R and full fat version), Schumacher Cat SX3 (Pro and S1), Yokomo B Max 4, Ansmann X4, Kyosho FS2, Tamiya 511 and 502 (belt and shaft drive respectively, 511 hard to find!), Predator X11, Caster S10B Pro and towards the budget end of the scale, LRP S10 Blast BX.

The list is likely to grow with a Losi and updated Yokomo, too.

Right now, my pick would be the DEX410R for it's bang-to-buck ratio, and it's sleek modern design, but really, they're all very, very good.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...

Last edited by colmo; 01-04-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: removed link to Losi prototype thread as it's an April fool's - d'oh!
Old 01-04-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to BenG Send a message via MSN to BenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmo View Post
Dust off the B4, it's still a very popular car. 2wd off-road is my favourite class - 4wds are harder to maintain!

Of the 4wds out there now, there's the new B44.1 (albeit quite a bit more expensive than the B44 was), Durango DEX410 (R and full fat version), Schumacher Cat SX3 (Pro and S1), Yokomo B Max 4, Ansmann X4, Kyosho FS2, Tamiya 511 and 502 (belt and shaft drive respectively, 511 hard to find!), Predator X11, Caster S10B Pro and towards the budget end of the scale, LRP S10 Blast BX.

The list is likely to grow with a Losi and updated Yokomo, too.

Right now, my pick would be the DEX410R for it's bang-to-buck ratio, and it's sleek modern design, but really, they're all very, very good.
Thanks dude, only problem is, my B4 is actually a modified home brew project, with laydown shocks an aluminium chassis. I either need to finish it off and get it running or buy in another B4 kit
Old 01-04-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Thanks dude, only problem is, my B4 is actually a modified home brew project, with laydown shocks an aluminium chassis. I either need to finish it off and get it running or buy in another B4 kit
If you have enough bits, you could treat yourself to the Vega B4 (when it comes out), CML's forthcoming C4.1 Centro or X Factory's X6 (shock! This is actually available!) conversion kits for the same money as a new kit. Used B4s go for £60-80 depending on spec and condition.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...