Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 30-04-2012

Default Blast from the past.

Hi.
my mum was clearing out her loft to move and had already sent me all my shumacher stuff,but phoned me the other day saying she had found another box with cars in..Got it this morning and was really suprised when i opened to this car i thought i had sold on years ago.

I still cant believe this.I remember buying this car as alot were going from shumacher to these so i though id give one a try.Im sure its the mid custom LWB but please correct my if im wrong . It still has the lemans 240 can that i ran maybe 3 times if that and the old silver star speed master brick of an esc is still attatched.I fired it up and it works like new LOL.
Im adding this to my restore list,along with the topcat.

It does need a few parts to get it back up,so if anyone can confirm exactly which optima mid it is,that would be great.The original rear shocks were gone,so i fitted the plastic ones for the pics.
many thanks
dave
Old 30-04-2012
Mad Member

Default Hi

That's a great find...is this a turbo optima mid with chassis option?

Yeah, the shocks aren't stock (need the gold option house ones I think). They will definitely need replacing.

Well good luck with the clean up!

Check out marwanrc on the net...he does great body and decal reproductions for a great price.
Old 30-04-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Kimble

Man with all these cars we organize a Kyosho vintage meeting at a European track this summer!

Good luck on the rebuild!
Old 30-04-2012

that is a Optima Mid Custom, and yes its LWB.
Old 30-04-2012
Mad Member

They seem so similar...
Old 30-04-2012

Thanks for the verification.It is the lwb custom,cos i remember using the rear shocks off it on an ultima i was running .
can i still get parts like universal drive shafts etc? was thinking of maybe trying a low powered brushless setup in it?.I do need a top belt cover and most of the ball races are seized too,so will need another set of those .
Would it be better to fiit the option house shocks,or would something a little more modern be better(big bores?).I have noticed the setup on the front has quite a restricted movement up and down,cos the top ball joint arrangement lies flat on the c hub,is thier any way of improving this?.
cheers
Old 01-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboi1973 View Post
Thanks for the verification.It is the lwb custom,cos i remember using the rear shocks off it on an ultima i was running .
can i still get parts like universal drive shafts etc? was thinking of maybe trying a low powered brushless setup in it?.I do need a top belt cover and most of the ball races are seized too,so will need another set of those .
Would it be better to fiit the option house shocks,or would something a little more modern be better(big bores?).I have noticed the setup on the front has quite a restricted movement up and down,cos the top ball joint arrangement lies flat on the c hub,is thier any way of improving this?.
cheers
yes big bores will fit. for the front suspension, tyr putting a small spacer in between the ball and the hub to increase a little travel. you can use the new Lazer ZX-5 62.5mm universal shafts, LA-245, but you must use pin hexes.Yeah racing hexes comes with pins and is very cheap. visit my blog for more info.
http://superturbooptimamidspecialzx-5.blogspot.com/
Old 25-05-2012

Hi all.
Ive decided to let this one go to a new home,as just dont have time to restore it ,got to much on.ithought id offer it here before ebay etc..
All ive done is stripped,cleaned the chassis and fit a new set of races and new spur protector so far.It will come as pictured in the post.If your interested pm me.
Old 26-05-2012
Mad Member

Ahh, the Optima Mid Custom... my second RC car. I still remember all the mistakes I made with that one!
Old 02-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboi1973 View Post
Hi all.
Ive decided to let this one go to a new home,as just dont have time to restore it ,got to much on.ithought id offer it here before ebay etc..
All ive done is stripped,cleaned the chassis and fit a new set of races and new spur protector so far.It will come as pictured in the post.If your interested pm me.
This has now found a new home