Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > South Lakes Model Car Club

Old 23-01-2010

Default Summer Dates

Hi,

When will the summer dates be decided?

Also, does the club have a permanent outdoor track yet? I think I remember reading something about it on the website.

Barry
Kyosho RB5
Tamiya M03
Schumacher Mi3.5
Schumacher Mi4LP

My feedback
Old 23-01-2010

Hi Barry, our summer calendar has not yet been published. The winter season runs to March and the summer dates will be release before then. Please keep an eye on the forum. It will be published when finalized.

We don't have a permanent track as we are still too small a club. The work to maintain it would be too much. Virtually all our members prefer the grass tracks at our current outdoor venue to the astro we would need for a permanent track. A permanent track would be nice but at the moment driving on grass is something you can only do at south lakes.

Old 29-01-2010

yup. As Glenn says a we don't have a permanent outdoor track but the idea has been mentioned by some of our members and some possibilities are being looked into, however, where we race currently is fine for our club meets - short, well drained, grass with a choice of flat or unjulating and banked areas to use as well as ample parking. alot of our summer meets are at various events around the area too, so we only use our 'regular venue' a handful of times each year. The variety events we race at (and get free entry too ) more than make up for having a permanent track in my opinion. Our secretary should be on with looking at the summer calendar soon and it will be on the forum as soon as its sorted.
Old 29-01-2010

Thanks both. I came very close to racing at south lakes last year, but ended up doing tc at carlisle. I'm still doing tc but might be able to squeeze in some visits - after all, my heart is in off road buggies. I also bought an ultima to race, but it's gathering dust!

What time does practise start on race days - I'll have about an hour's drive to get to kendal. How many racers attend the off road meets?

Cheers,
Barry
Kyosho RB5
Tamiya M03
Schumacher Mi3.5
Schumacher Mi4LP

My feedback
Old 29-01-2010

Sunday we will start setting the track up between 8:30 and 9:00, racing will start around 9:30 ish. Similar during the summer, maybe 30 mins earlier. We normally get about 8 - 10 drivers in off-road.

Old 29-01-2010

Sounds good. I may need a lot of help and advice if I do make it down - have no clue about shock positions, off road gearing etc! :-)

Barry
Kyosho RB5
Tamiya M03
Schumacher Mi3.5
Schumacher Mi4LP

My feedback
Old 29-01-2010

We have lots of experience in the club to help you with that sort of thing but as Sunday is an indoor meeting you are better off getting your car as low as you can. Mini pins are banned but any type of on-road or at a push, block type rubber will do. We do run a control tyre for indoors but as it will be your first visit we would not expect you to buy a set in case you decide its not for you. You might even be able to borrow a set.

Old 30-01-2010

Cheers Glen. I was thinking if waiting until the summer series starts though...

Barry
Kyosho RB5
Tamiya M03
Schumacher Mi3.5
Schumacher Mi4LP

My feedback
Old 30-01-2010

Though you might but no harm in trying. We will keep you posted on summer dates.