Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 03-01-2012
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James
Default Ipad/Iphone apps on Macbook

I'm considering buying a mac laptop, ive had iphones for a few years and an ipad over a year, both are awesome but would I be able to run my applications on the macbook?
Old 03-01-2012

I dont think you can, but it would come down to each application as to whether they have a osx version of the application. Most wouldnt as developing an iphone app is a lot easier and cheaper than developing a full blown osx program. It also wnt be a case of just copying the iphone apps to your macbook, as you would have to buy the mac program again.

I have seen exceptions as dJay which has a iphone and an osx version.
Old 03-01-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Got to admit James, I'm seriously thinking about buying a Macbook Pro as well. One of the things that puts me off though is that I know one of the first things i'd need to do would be install parallels / windows! Which seems to defeat the point a little.

I can't help in answering your question though!!
Old 03-01-2012

Unless there is a mac specific version of an app like djay, then you'll not normally be able to run iphone/ipad apps on a macbook. You can backup and store all the apps on your macbook, but you'll not be able to run the apps. The "Mac App Store" is getting better all the time, with lots of great apps both free and paid, available from the app store icon on the OS X Lion desktop that will come with your new macbook.

I switched from Windows to Mac, about 4 years ago and it was the best move I ever made, the mac "just works" without all the hassle that windows brings, although it does depend on what you use your computer for.
Old 03-01-2012

don't currently own a mac but i have owned...

"no apps"

but out the box software is pretty good on mac..
Iphoto -
Garageband -
Imovie -

all very integrated and glossy

what you'll find your self doing is trying to find alternatives applications that you cant get on OSX... which is fine there are alternatives

a must have application for any converter to osx is "Parallels" you can run windows in a "virtual box" and jump between them with a hit of a button.
Old 03-01-2012
Banned

I've been using macs for about 5 years, and it's safe to say I would never go back to a PC, the quality is far superior.

I have never had any compatibility issues, although I use it for the design side of things. If you want windows so bad, load it on to the mac, if you use boot camp you can swap, windows runs better on a mac than it does on a PC!
Old 03-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman758 View Post
I've been using macs for about 5 years, and it's safe to say I would never go back to a PC, the quality is far superior.

I have never had any compatibility issues, although I use it for the design side of things. If you want windows so bad, load it on to the mac, if you use boot camp you can swap, windows runs better on a mac than it does on a PC!
i would agree but if you wanna play games get a pc.. one thing is for sure if you get a mac and you just want ot run windows there no point in getting a mac lol

i preferred Parallels to bootcamp as i would only need to run 1 application so there so no need me exiting osx
Old 03-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

the collection of games for the mac is growing all the time. true there are some games that are only windows, but people will port them over and sometimes they work ok lol. Since Steam arrived on mac we've been getting more and more games.

I bought my 1st MBP in Nov 08 and haven't looked back since. The only use I have for windows is to run the Tekin Hotwire program and the BBK net view thingy.

You can get MS office for mac as well as photoshop, dreamweaver, etc. The 'apps' that come with OSX is a good collection covering most bases.

At the moment in Lion 10.7.2 we can't run iOS apps, but rumours are Apple will make 1 OS that runs on all devices in the future. Lion brought quite a few iOS style features to our macs. Some believe the beloved dock will disappear soon which I'll be disappointed about as I use the dock a lot and don't touch launchpad.

The OS is rock solid. the only time I reboot is for updates now. I frequently see 30day+ uptime's and I use the laptop every day. 8gb RAM upgrade is worthwhile, but don't spec it on the laptop since Apple want a lot of dosh for that. Cruical do it for £40 or there abouts and it's easy to fit. I specced the high-res screen on this laptop (my 2nd) which I think is worthwhile making a almost 1080p (1680x1050) 15" display
Old 03-01-2012
Mad Member

Agree with Big G on all counts. I only have an old Powerbook G4 and an iPhone, but they just work. I have MS Office for Mac and it too just works - no seizures or outages like I get on my PC at work. 'Mail' is simple to use and has all the things you need without any of the redundant stuff in Outlook. You get everything you need on a Mac, only adding MS Office if you really need it.

I have mine on all the time, probably only switch it off a few times a year - no issues. Regard your MBP as the hub of your Mac machines and it works fine. Use whichever you need to do what you want. With i CLoud you'll never really notice what you are using as it will all be there for you - except Apps on the MBP!! Hope you enjoy using Apple, as you can see many of us do. HTH
Old 03-01-2012

you can swap Microsoft Office for Open Office which is almost identical but FREE!