Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 01-03-2011

Default Procat restoration

Hi guys,

I've dug out my old Procat and want to get it up & running again, intially for fun with my 2 kids without throwing a fortune at it.....

It has some modified MMS parts & a carbon chassis and was a regular A finalist at my local club. I bought it second hand from a model shop in Hoddesdon in about '93, but prior to this it was raced by a Schumacher driver called Steve Brace. Note the many cut-away parts (on the car and in the spare parts) to save weight!

It hasn't turned a wheel since I broke the font lower wishbone spacer (part T160) 15 years ago. I'm struggling to find this part so any suggestions how to get hold of one would be great. If anyone has a spare I'll happily consider a swap for any parts in the pic.

I've ordered some new belts for it and am assuming all ball races will be shot, but would be great to know what else will definitely need replacing when I rebuild it, from those of you that have already done this?!

Also not sure where to get parts from - I saw Kaszal's post about the carbon chassis and am very tempted but I've not got any idea if all the ball races & screws etc are easy to get hold of anmd where to get thme from??

Also, The big question is what cells & motors to use, brushless or not etc. I have my old modified motors, but definitely need to start again with cells. Will my old Silverstar Speedo still be up to the job...???

Phew, thinks that's about all for now, thanks for getting this far!

All advice on how to tackle this would be great....

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000479.JPG (370.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg P1000477.JPG (368.8 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg P1000486.JPG (379.2 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg P1000487.JPG (345.1 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg P1000472.JPG (394.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg P1000483.JPG (346.9 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg P1000462.JPG (411.1 KB, 139 views)
Old 02-03-2011
Mad Member

Default Welcome

Nice one, Simon. That must have been Hurricane Models, same place where I got mine.

I've got some of the parts you need (pm to follow)

You can get replacement bearings from RCbearings.co.uk

http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.ph...roducts_id=289

You need twelve of these for the axles and rear gearbox. Rubber sealed are better for the damp. The front ones are rarer. You could try to rescue them by soaking overnight in lighter fluid or brake cleaner.

If you've still got your old charger you could just get some new(ish) Ni-mh cells e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Racing-Battery...item3f07c342f6

These and your modified might be enough for the kids.

No doubt other members will have some helpful suggestions for you too.

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2011

Thanks Luke it was Hurricane, well remembered!

Thanks for your PM and all the advice. I've ordered those bearings but I've not got the front diff apart yet, so hopefully those bearings are ok. Presumably they're the flanged ones, hence hard to get?

I'm going to head over to Apex Models on Saturday and hoping they'll be able to supply new nuts & bolts, turnbuckles, wheels & tyres etc

I noticed you have a carbon fibre rear susp top mount - is that a one-off or are they available from Fibre-lyte? My MMS one is a litte twisted.

I'll stick with the current motor set up for now, presuming my charger & speed contoller still work, but if I wanted to race in a Vintage category do you have to have original spec electrics?

Thanks again, looking forard to getting it running....!

Simon
Old 03-03-2011
Mad Member

Your wheels look OK but mini-spikes a bit worn. If you want new wheels there are these...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Schumacher-Cat...item2a094c073e

Not essential but they look nice, are a bit lighter and are in good supply, which is useful because I've cracked a few rears racing. I've been told soaking them in hot water reduces the risk of this.

If the alloy mount is bent you could just bend it back. All the carbon stuff is from Fibrelyte, I think it's BOSS 03 you're after...

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/

IMO it's difficult to get the CAT to keep up with modern buggies e.g. short wishbones, limited suspension tuning, fine pitch belts, high cog. I'm going to give it another go this summer and try to improve my driving. I've raced it at Stotfold a couple times... nice guys and good astro turf rack.

Have fun visiting Apex!
Old 03-07-2011
Mad Member

Hi, have you got this race ready yet? Would be good to see it go round the track! I'm hoping to get down Stotfold next Sunday 10th July with mine.
Old 03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonl View Post

I noticed you have a carbon fibre rear susp top mount - is that a one-off or are they available from Fibre-lyte? My MMS one is a litte twisted.

Simon
Hi Simon

I have just received my parts from Fibre-lyte, Luke is right the part you are after is BOSS 03 Rear mount (upper) which is £8.95 + p&p

Good luck with the restoration

John

New builds
1x Procat (Fibre-Lyte chassis), 1x Shotgun

Runners
Supastox, Tamiya TA03F
Old 04-07-2011

Ive got a pile of parts I keep for my Schueys and should have some items that will get you going. Let me know what you are in need of.
Cheers-Jason
Old 06-07-2011
Mad Member

here`s my procat collection,anyone have an original wing button as i have lost one from the green and yellow cat?.

Old 15-09-2011

Currious....I remember a wire mounted Wing from when i used to race in the early 90's and I ran a Box rear wing, who made the wire mount kit?
Old 16-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASKay View Post
Currious....I remember a wire mounted Wing from when i used to race in the early 90's and I ran a Box rear wing, who made the wire mount kit?
MMS made a wire mount kit.
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/picturefra...06093354_2.jpg
Old 16-09-2011
Mad Member

MMS made a rear shock tower designed to take a wire wing,the mounting points were incorporated in the tower.
There were also various tube brackets that scewed to the back of the shock tower and used grub screws to attach the wing wire.
Old 16-09-2011

Ooooo thats nice, oh how I now miss my old CAT....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroen206 View Post
Old 03-05-2012

I used to race at Harlow Buggy Club with Steve. I remember the car and him, but he'll likely not remeber me.

I know Hurricane models too. Great shop. Neil Mottram used to run the shop with his dad.

I have the sister shell to this from Steve's cougar kicking about somewhere at home.

Your car used to have one of those RC10 style Parma wings on it. Painted pink with a yellow Parma sticker on it.

Rich

Last edited by misterfixit; 18-10-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2012

Car looks good Simon, good luck with the restore. Steve Brace races still at Westmill (Ware) and Stotfold. I'll tell him to come have a look. I to raced the odd time at Harlow, but mainly Chingford Buggy Club 88-92ish.