Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 18-06-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

hahaha, me too. i loved the way cars didnt get switched on till just before the race so they would last.
Old 18-06-2010
Woop Woop Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFF55 View Post
hahaha, me too. i loved the way cars didnt get switched on till just before the race so they would last.
i remember people walking upto the line with the cells still on charge carrying a 12v to try and get every last ounce out of them. there wernt no outlaps back then lol

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 18-06-2010

i got to say i had a xx4 and i liked it alot although duration was a problem with a hot motor. As far as the pred goes, at the time it was unreliable and i hated pushing that car hard for fear of breaking it. I think the latest generation of predators seem as reliable as any 4wd now. Its the only 4wd today i like and when money permits i am going to get one. I heard parts are hard to get from xtreme. Does anybody know if this is true or not.
Old 21-06-2010
Mad Member

No its not true , just get in contact with Kev at inside line racing
Old 21-06-2010

My biggest disappointment was the Durga, when it came out I was running a XXX4G+ and was stoked with the idea of an affordable and capable Tamiya belt drive off-roader. It took one race for reality to hit home, It was neither capable, nor affordable if I was to invest in the required upgrades.

The worst car I have ever raced was a Tamiya Super Champ back in the mid-80's, I loved it at the time but really was a car out of place and out of time. Worst car recently was a Boomerang, I destroyed my 4WD Mod buggy in the first race of a recent event, had given my spare to my boy to race (Never hand over an expensive bit of kit to a 5 year to race, lmao) so resorted to putting my Boomerang (which I had only bought along for my boy to run between races) in the next race.

Had a blast, Sure it flew like a brick, crashed through the bumps and the cornering technique was way over the top, But thanks to everyone else failing to finish I won the race.
Old 21-06-2010
Mad Member

Default *

Back in the day TOP Models Hybrid but also had bad experience with old cats and yoke's

Best car by far - Lazer's (cool as - didn't break no matter what you hit)
Old 21-06-2010

Its funny, ive got the original magazine review of that that TOP Models/RPM Hybrid and at the time of release people were raving about how good it was and how much faster they were with it than their old cars... but since then i dont think ive ever heard anyone say it was anything but rubbish

Looked quite nice though.
Old 21-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna View Post
Its funny, ive got the original magazine review of that that TOP Models/RPM Hybrid and at the time of release people were raving about how good it was and how much faster they were with it than their old cars... but since then i dont think ive ever heard anyone say it was anything but rubbish

Looked quite nice though.
That was a cack car! The difference being I've always said it was cack

Academy SB was probably the biggest heap I ever raced, though I have raced some proper wierd cars over the years.

Though maximum frustration had to be the Pred, it was awesome to drive but I could never get it to the finish line
Old 21-06-2010

talking of fragile cars, i heard the new cougar sv is fairly weak and has problems.
Old 22-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Maybe, but its a Schumacher and its new. Which means there will be hop-ups to fix the problems, running changes if its minor stuff, and an SV2 in 2 years time with them all included.

Which is the difference between a car with teething troubles and a bad car. Teething troubles are fixed, bad cars problems are ignored.

This was certainly the issue with Weatherly era Preds. After a while everyone knew their problems, but somehow Tenth Technology didn't seem that concerned about dealing with them.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 22-06-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna View Post
The first Pred was released in '94 i think ? It was advertised for ages beforehand but im sure it was '94 not '92.

For the tracks of the day, like smooth grass, they were fine - if you didnt crash much, were prepared to spend time between rounds on them and do very regular maintenance...

i think your find the first plastic pred was releised in 94 the carbon version with the bolt on gearboxs and clear wishbones was relesed in 92 im pretty sure reble knows what he is talking about as his brother owns the pred company.
Old 22-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
i think your find the first plastic pred was releised in 94 the carbon version with the bolt on gearboxs and clear wishbones was relesed in 92 im pretty sure reble knows what he is talking about as his brother owns the pred company.
Lol this is interesting now... i admit my memory aint what it used to be, but when i wrote my previous post a few days ago, to check i went back to the RC car magazines of the day, found the original magazine review of the first production Predator kit ( the XT with carbon chassis & bolt on bulkheads ). There was a fair bit about it in '94, and another review in the same year with Kevin Moore and Richard Weatherly and the magazine reviewer testing both Kevins Pred XT and his new Losi XX.

With a quick flick through Pre '94 magazines I couldnt find anything other than an advert showing the original Predator prototype ( carbon weave chassis, bolt on bulkheads and beautifully ally machined gearbox/bulkhead tops which obviously never made it into production - shame, they looked ace ! ) nor did i find anything of the predator production cars in race reports before 94', other than a little talk about the prototype. Which i think did have clear wishbones at some point ?

But of course it could have been released before 94, just not made it into the magazines of the day or i just missed it in my haste.

So, if anyone knows exactly when it was released as a production kit for definate, please tell ... just to save me going through another 2+ years of old magazines
Old 22-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It was '94. I can remember because Kev Moore only started racing it after he left Schumacher following the '93 Worlds so was deffo post '93. I remember first seeing it in Kev Moores hands, except for the ads in Racer that had started late '93. Protos may have been around for some time before that, but production and official release was late '93 for '94 season.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 22-06-2010
Mad Member

who cares?
lets get back on track with losi xxx4's were shite, correct!
Old 22-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

yeah, 94. Kev turned up at Herne Bay racing his. It was a missile on the straight, but a bit pants on the in filed. And it sounded like a bag of nails.

The adverts were out for months before it was released. That carbon chassis just looked the nuts at the time.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 22-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelrc View Post
who cares?
they were crap outdoors, but indoors on carpet or smooth floors they were (and probably still are) the absolute nuts! lol

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 22-06-2010

The only car which have been a pain to race for me is the nitro Xray 808, I hate it so much!!!! It eats transmission bearings all the time and never got a good feeling while driving.

In the electric side never liked the BJ4 WE and the TC4 tourer.

XX-cr, goldtub RC10, Ultima PROII and many more weird rides
Old 23-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelrc View Post
who cares?
I won the F3's with a xxx4g+, was a really good car as long as there was nothing bigger than a blade of grass in the way
Old 08-06-2011

i have to say, my LRP shark.

Old 08-06-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Nitro would be a GS storm on grass tracks, not to bad on dirt tho

And 10th, would have to be the cougar sv, only other car that hit my wallet as hard was yokomos in the late 80's early 90s, but at least you enjoyed the drive & they looked the muts

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117