Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8 Nitro Off Road / Rallycross

Old 20-08-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Engine Choice

Looking at engines for 1/8 buggy but getting bewildered b the choice/cost! I assume it's 0.21 engines which I need, but which to go for:

1. Are any pull start options reasonably good/powerful enough? Would it mean I don't have to shell out on a starter box?

2. What is out there that's competitive and comes as an engine/exhaust/manifold combo for a reasonable price? Fine with none pull start for this question!

3. Are they all a universal fit or might I struggle to fit them to an 801x?

Cheers guys!
Old 20-08-2009

1. Not really. Not if you want similar performance (almost ) as your electric. It would mean a starter box isn't needed, but pullstarts break all the time, and one-way bearings fail regularly. These aren't cheap either, so after a very short amount of time you'll have spent the amount it would have cost to buy a starter box in the first place.

2. It depends on what 'reasonable price' means. If I were you, I'd have a look at the RB K9 engine. It's RRP is £199.99 and performance wise, it's meant to be in between an S9 and a WS9. Pipes and stuff are on top of though...

3. They are universal fitting so they'll fit in your 801.

4. Why do you want nitro now? The whole point of electric is that it's the future, and we're moving from nitro to electric, not the other way around!
Old 20-08-2009

Depends on how competitive you want to be.

To be up there you'll need £300 for your engine. With one of that price you buy once and it will last you a few years.

You'll need a starter box. You can get SMD starter boxes for as little as £25 posted in the for sale section on many RC Forums.

www.ndor.co.uk

My Feedback
Old 20-08-2009

Send a message via MSN to BRS

Hello Dave I was racing at NRS @ NNRC the other week when you where there. I dont think you need to spend £300 on a motor to be competitive and you can trash a £300 motor just as quick as £70 one if you dont know what you're doing.

I'd forget pull start and get a starter box for 1. It is indeed .21 you're looking at the Sirio 3 port motor is a little cracker for about £120 or an RB H9 (5 port) is also a belter for about £175.

I've run RB's for a while S3's WS7's S7's and now just got a K9 which seems very good but isnt Novarossi made like the rest of their line so will have to see how well it lasts. Perfomance wise its not as smooth as a C6 nor as good on fuel so far (but we'll see as I tune the performance). I run an RB pipe the 2045 which is the best alround performer / mpg, but RB pipes are very expensive now for what they are imo. Quite a few people running Jammin JP4 pipes with RB's you also need to consider if the pipe will fit the car right, my Mugen MBX6 needs a tighter bend header or it wont fit in the car.

Dont overlook the clutch either as thats also vital for good performance. RB's like a late engagement (1.1mm springs) otherwise they struggle off the bottom killing performance.

Motors I'd look at if I was in the market from cheap to dear
Picco P3 Basic £75
Sirio CL3B £120
Novarossi NR21R £125
RB H9 £175
RB S9 £200
Reedy 121VR £250
Novarossi Plus 4 £250
RB WS9 £290
RB B9 £340

PS Just because you pay £300 for a motor doesnt mean you cant turn it to scrap in 5mins with the wrong tune
Old 20-08-2009

With 2000 plus posts I'd be lead to believe he's a competent driver, and have a good head on his shoulders to find out how to tune an engine.

Thats the only reason that I suggested the £300 motor.

Do not over look any OS lasts for years especially the Speed

www.ndor.co.uk

My Feedback
Old 20-08-2009

The orion US spec is an amazing engine, so much power through out the whole rev range. The only pipe i truly reccomend is the Sirio 2013 as this pipe is the bo!!ox.
Old 20-08-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Dave, the os speed is easy to tune and holds it well (v little fiddling anywhere) also super fast.. Thats what i used to run and would recommend it to anyone!!
Old 20-08-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

There are no engine and pipe combo deals, but the pipes are universal fitting so don't worry.

I have gone for the NN21R with Jammin JP-4 pipe, I believe until I am confident I will tune the engine so it won't die, im not shelling out anymore than this.... but I also hear that I don't need to, as the NN21R puts out the performance too!
Old 20-08-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
4. Why do you want nitro now? The whole point of electric is that it's the future, and we're moving from nitro to electric, not the other way around!
I am not getting rid of my electric, but in the 6 meetings I have now done I have competed against a grand total of 1 other electric car. That's across 5 championships at 4 different tracks from Sutton nr Birmingham to Preston. I am not convinced electric is really taking off over here and I have no idea how well I'm really doing against people using nitro cars because they are so different!

That's why I wouldn't mind a nitro too!
Old 20-08-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALLET View Post
With 2000 plus posts I'd be lead to believe he's a competent driver, and have a good head on his shoulders to find out how to tune an engine.

Thats the only reason that I suggested the £300 motor.

Do not over look any OS lasts for years especially the Speed
Good logic but most of those 2000 posts are asking dumbass questions precisely because I don't have a good head on my shoulders
Old 20-08-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
There are no engine and pipe combo deals, but the pipes are universal fitting so don't worry.

I have gone for the NN21R with Jammin JP-4 pipe, I believe until I am confident I will tune the engine so it won't die, im not shelling out anymore than this.... but I also hear that I don't need to, as the NN21R puts out the performance too!
How easy is it to kill them from mistuning?

I guess Ideally I am after an engine which is relatively simple to run in and tune for mixture, where I won't be retunibg it at every track, which is fairly quick without needing to be stonking, for as good a money as possible. I would probably buy new simply because I usually do plus know to little of nitro to really see a bad deal/worn engine!

OS speed sounds like it fits the bill at a cost, maybe the NN21R is a better option for me right now though, and any other suggestions welcomed!!
Old 20-08-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Run the car too lean and it could go quite soon, how soon, well, how long is a (relatively short) piece of string. But your best not risking it.

I have been given some pointers, im going for a 30% fuel as I believe it may be easier to tune, and more powerful as well as running cooler. If you sit the car ticking over for 30seconds and accelerate it should splutter then go, if not its too lean - richen it.... in a nutshell.

But you will need to adjust tuning by 2-5minutes of a turn depending on the climate. As air density in the UK is so different one day to the next - you'll know about this with your Audi S3, Nissan 350Z - feels quicker on a cool day, thats cos it is - dense air leans out the mixture and combusts better. We have no knock sensors to sort it on an 1/8th though. Just judgement and a weapon (screwdriver).
Old 20-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Good logic but most of those 2000 posts are asking dumbass questions precisely because I don't have a good head on my shoulders
Ha ha ha PMSL

Quote:
How easy is it to kill them from mistuning?

OS speed sounds like it fits the bill at a cost, maybe the NN21R is a better option for me right now though, and any other suggestions welcomed!!
It can be easy to kill an engine, but new engines nowa days will let you know when they are too lean and anyone at the track will help you out to let you know what you need to listen for.

30% will only give you more power because you can lean the engine out a bit more with the such properties of more % of nitro the more it will cool an engine down.

25% will be ample for any Club or B Drive driver. Don't forget you've got to pay for your engines.

Regards Tuning an engine.

You get your top end right first before you do the bottom end, that's to have a fair mist of smoke coming out upto top revs.

Your bottom end needs to be tuned so when you come off of full throttle. You are back on tick over right away, no waiting 6 seconds. If you need it rich then make it take 1 second to come down to true tick over.

Do not run your engine rich. This does the same amount of damage as a lean engine. It is a myth that a rich engine will last you years, you ware the liner out with the compressed fuel being forced between the piston and liner before its ignited.

www.ndor.co.uk

My Feedback
Old 20-08-2009

Quote:
I am not getting rid of my electric, but in the 6 meetings I have now done I have competed against a grand total of 1 other electric car. That's across 5 championships at 4 different tracks from Sutton nr Birmingham to Preston. I am not convinced electric is really taking off over here and I have no idea how well I'm really doing against people using nitro cars because they are so different!

That's why I wouldn't mind a nitro too!
I've had the same, believe me it's taking off! It always needs someone at the forefront to let everyone know about it. I have been the only electric running all season, and have shared no races whatsoever with other electrics. However, at my club there are half a dozen people who are now either piecing conversions together, or have them ready now!
Old 21-08-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Doubting I can bring myself to go expensive first off engine wise, in case I screw up! With that in mind from Reading around the NN21R and Sirio CL3 seem good options, how murdered will I get by the quickest cars if I use one if these? Is one clearly better than the other?

Who may stock the sirio 2013 pipe, can't find them in many places?

Chris, what made you go for the Jammin pipe?
Old 21-08-2009

Dave,

I've just run a RB K9 in for one of our top nitro lads. I've done a bit of a report on it on another forum (if you cannot find it just pm me) this engine is a little flyer and I believe that you'll be able to get them as little as £150.

I was shocked about this engine as RB had sent out for a budget engine for their range. From where we have thought it was made,we thought it was going to be a pig in a poke. How wrong we was. RB have come up with a great budget race engine, I would not class it as a budget engine that the young lads just chuck in to have a bash down the local park with, this is a full blown race engine.

Put a JP4 pipe on it and you'll be good for top end racing.

tim

www.ndor.co.uk

My Feedback
Old 21-08-2009

The CL3B is a really good engine, and frugal on fuel. It may not be as stupidly fast as a C6 or something, but when I had mine, it was as quick down the straight and poky out of the corners as most other engines. Also give the CL7B (non-STI) a look. Think CL3B but with more power, it's also not really expensive and has been really easy to tune (my brother has one in his truggy - an TRF801XT - so it'll definately fit too!).

Other than those, an RB K9 as Mallet said and I mentioned earlier.
Old 21-08-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Doubting I can bring myself to go expensive first off engine wise, in case I screw up! With that in mind from Reading around the NN21R and Sirio CL3 seem good options, how murdered will I get by the quickest cars if I use one if these? Is one clearly better than the other?

Who may stock the sirio 2013 pipe, can't find them in many places?

Chris, what made you go for the Jammin pipe?
I'll let you know my thoughts on the NN21R, as long as my runny nose doesn't develop I'll have my 8th built tomorrow and run on Sunday.

I chose the JP-4 pipe for a few reasons, firstly it is hardcoat so the Nitro fuel won't stain it like it can on polished. It is a beefy alloy, so it is a little stronger against denting. It has a CNC shoulder to the exit pipe to further strengthen it against knocks, and finally - for the price I couldn't knock it. As for performance I believe it is great for top end, and am yet to see, ive got a lot of learning to do with this Nitro mallarky! But so far I have been astounded at just how much advise is available and the quality of that advice, you just need to ask the right people.
Old 21-08-2009

The K9 has been designed with the characteristics of a C6 look at the porting of the K9 liner

B9 on the left K9 on the right

The B9 liner is the same liner as the C6

If anyone does need help with nitro then just ask I'll kindly help you out.

Tim

www.ndor.co.uk

My Feedback
Old 21-08-2009

I'll try to help as much as I can too. If I remember correctly, the K9 was designed as a cross between the C6 and WS9.