Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 04-10-2014

Default Learning how to set up my Buggy.

I got a few weeks ago my 1st buggy, a Yokomo Bmax2, which seems a pretty nice car which I built as a kit and set it up running a mid motor.

I want to learn how to set it up properly for different track conditions (indoors or outdoors) but to also know why I am doing such adjustments.

At the moment the car pulls to the right although my handset is set with the steering even (shop set this up for me) so wanted to know how and what to adjust to get it running straight.

Also would like to know a bit about setting up the suspension and what oils to use in it and why.

Also why do people use weight in their cars - is it a stability thing?

Would this be any use to get in terms of teaching me anything?

http://adhpublishing.com/shop/store/...rc-car-basics/

Also, is there any upgrades worth buying for the bmax2, if so what n why please?

Any info/tips etc. greatly appreciated
cheers
Phil
Old 04-10-2014
Mad Member

This here
http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

I found was a great setup guide that explains the mechanics and over all do's and donts of setups.
If you read through that and then look for the setup info for your car on here or on other forums such as petitrc then you should be able to get the 2 together and build up a good understanding of what adjustments you need to make to get the car going how you feel comfortable with.
but always remember that at the begining you should only make small adjustments and always write down what you have changed so that you can refer back to it and see if it made the car handle better or worse.

and dont be afraid to ask the people at your local track for advice, the other racers are generally always happy to help and guide new guys

Last edited by AfroP; 04-10-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2014
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by whites75 View Post
At the moment the car pulls to the right although my handset is set with the steering even (shop set this up for me) so wanted to know how and what to adjust to get it running straight.
This is because the servo horn isn't centered on the servo. Use the transmitter trim to adjust, or if it's a long way off it will need taking off the servo and doing right.
Old 04-10-2014

Have a read though the xray setup guide. It's really clear and very informative.

See what setups other people are running at your club as well.
Old 05-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroP View Post
This here
http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

I found was a great setup guide that explains the mechanics and over all do's and donts of setups.
If you read through that and then look for the setup info for your car on here or on other forums such as petitrc then you should be able to get the 2 together and build up a good understanding of what adjustments you need to make to get the car going how you feel comfortable with.
but always remember that at the begining you should only make small adjustments and always write down what you have changed so that you can refer back to it and see if it made the car handle better or worse.

and dont be afraid to ask the people at your local track for advice, the other racers are generally always happy to help and guide new guys
Looks very in depth and scientific - will work my way through it but also use it as a point of reference, looks an interesting read for sure, many thanks for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
This is because the servo horn isn't centered on the servo. Use the transmitter trim to adjust, or if it's a long way off it will need taking off the servo and doing right.
will get someone to show me next time I go to the club and hope its just an adjustment on the handset rather than the servo, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex97 View Post
Have a read though the xray setup guide. It's really clear and very informative.

See what setups other people are running at your club as well.
will check both of them out cheers
Old 05-10-2014
Mad Member

Also try looking at the Hudy set up book. It is aimed at 1:8 petrol, but if you ignore the sections on engines all the rest about car set up is very useful

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...0cab6f4e5d6df6

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 05-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
Also try looking at the Hudy set up book. It is aimed at 1:8 petrol, but if you ignore the sections on engines all the rest about car set up is very useful

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...0cab6f4e5d6df6
cheers chris will check it out

PS - has the shell arrived yet (est delivery between next weds-Friday but hope it might land sooner?)
Old 05-10-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Google xxx main chassis set up guide
Old 06-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Google xxx main chassis set up guide
cheers, might be worth buying from the U.S as a reference guide once read
Old 06-10-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

JQ has quite a good guide as well, located at the bottom of the page.

http://jq-products.com/the-news/43-t.../160-the-guide

I know there is an app for phones as well that is pretty good but can't remember it just now

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 06-10-2014
Mad Member

Most important thing is building the car correctly - so first thing to solve is the car pulling to the side. You need to make sure that the moving parts move freely and the fixed parts are fixed firmly.

Next most important thing is tyres - copy what others are running.

Just run the car in kit setup first. Driving and tyres makes so much more difference than the setup. When you are running consistent laps, then you can think about changing the setup to find more speed.
Old 06-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKiwi View Post
JQ has quite a good guide as well, located at the bottom of the page.

http://jq-products.com/the-news/43-t.../160-the-guide

I know there is an app for phones as well that is pretty good but can't remember it just now
looks helpful that pal thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Most important thing is building the car correctly - so first thing to solve is the car pulling to the side. You need to make sure that the moving parts move freely and the fixed parts are fixed firmly.

Next most important thing is tyres - copy what others are running.

Just run the car in kit setup first. Driving and tyres makes so much more difference than the setup. When you are running consistent laps, then you can think about changing the setup to find more speed.
yep cant argue there pal, when I next goto a club I will ask the experienced people to see if the servo horn looks straight, it does to me but would prefer a second opinion.

tyre wise I did speak to other guys at the club and got the same tyres and most I think, mini spikes, used on a smooth, slippy floor with bits of carpet sometimes, just need to wear them in more to get more grip as I struggled on one particular tight corner, but that could be my driving lol but I was also told the new tyres are mo good on the slick surface, so I guess that's a tip for future racing too maybe
Old 07-10-2014
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Doesn't matter if it looks straight, it matters if the steering is central when the servo is central.
Old 07-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
Doesn't matter if it looks straight, it matters if the steering is central when the servo is central.
great not just a 10min quick fix then lol
Old 07-10-2014
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whites75 View Post
great not just a 10min quick fix then lol
Will take 2 min take the servo horn off turn the power on you'll here the servo centralise then screw it back on, make sure your steering trims set to 0 and you put it back on so the steering a strait and your done.
Old 07-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakey View Post
Will take 2 min take the servo horn off turn the power on you'll here the servo centralise then screw it back on, make sure your steering trims set to 0 and you put it back on so the steering a strait and your done.
ok great, will have a fiddle when I get chance, fingers crossed thanks a lot
Old 07-10-2014

Where are you racing?
Old 07-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by J77MYF View Post
Where are you racing?
being a newbie the speed I go at I wouldn't call it racing lol ( I know it aint just about speed) - still in sunday driver mode getting a feel of the car etc but at the moment I am just going to 10 electric at cullingworth, but also hoping to go indoors with batley buggy club at whitcliffe and poss bury metro too, just depends what days and times the last 2 clubs run over winter
Old 07-10-2014

Phil, you are more than welcome to ask me any questions, I will answer them as best I can and try and get you in the right direction. Neal Lewis and Jim Furniss run the same car as you, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping you out.

The best thing to do is fiddle around your self and find out what changing stuff actually does.
Old 07-10-2014

thanks a lot James

will have a fiddle and look at the other guys set ups in depth if I can between races and get a few tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilkinson7 View Post
Phil, you are more than welcome to ask me any questions, I will answer them as best I can and try and get you in the right direction. Neal Lewis and Jim Furniss run the same car as you, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping you out.

The best thing to do is fiddle around your self and find out what changing stuff actually does.