Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 07-05-2007
Amateur Member

Question I Want Your Opinion!

OK, so it seems that brushless is here to stay and could be the more powerful, less maintenence, less power sapping answer to our prayers, ( I wait to be corrected ) but which is the way to go?

A lot of you guys and gals have been using brushless for a while so which makes and models are cutting the mustard and which are leaving a sour taste?

From your trackside conversations and personal experience there must be some shining beacons leading this technology and some pale immitations jumping on the bandwagon. As proud oOplers, it's your duty to share the knowledge!
Old 07-05-2007

i have both lrp sphere and novak gtb and i like both, but the novak seems to have more punch but less brakes the lrp sphere,but i know one thing i will not go back to brushed its to much hassle skimming motors ,bedding in new brushes, cleaning them every race and sticking brushes ! how many people have lost a race due to sticking brushes !
Old 08-05-2007
oOple Contributor

Send a message via MSN to rcracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil c View Post
how many people have lost a race due to sticking brushes !
erh Garry
Old 08-05-2007

Send a message via MSN to AndyM

i have the Nosram evo. one. it is really, really good. plenty of punch and lots of brakes. i reccommend it!!
Old 08-05-2007

It seems to me that moving to brushless is the ideal but at present the costs involved seem quite prohibitive.I would guess if we ask "pro" drivers then their reply is less than objective? If you don't pay for your gear I don't suppose it matters too much.I would love to go to brushless but I'm sure I can't run to the cost at the moment(unemployed ) Is there such a thing as a good "cheap" setup? I agree about the problems of running brushed and whilst enjoying my recent return to racing,the upkeep and maintenance is a pain in the ass. To kinda' back up Phillys point-what's the answer?
Old 08-05-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to xx4-nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer View Post
erh Garry

haha im just gad it was at a club night !
Old 08-05-2007

i run the nosram evo as well, definately recomend it!

if you are struggling for cash, do the conversion gradually,

an lrp or nosram speedo first, there are some awesome BNIP second hand ones for great prices on here and ebay

then a motor, 4* at around 40 second hand

i cant find a fault with the lrp/nosram speedo motor combination, and of course everyone knows that if there was a problem lrp have an excellant repair and guarantee service, so i personnaly belive lrp is the way forward and that brushless is definatley a worth while conversion despite the costs
Old 08-05-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

I highly recomend the nosram evolution and the orion votex route. I first run it last sunday and i put it on the track and i accelrated and the power of it flipped my xx4 over so i loosend my slipper off and the power was ace. as for breaks in brushed im used to yanking them on with my brushless i pulled them on like i do with my brushed and i stopped instantly and someoen run up my arse end but i was ok. Theorion being sinitared is ace highly recomend.

a

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 08-05-2007

My dad runs last years Matrix Evo and loves it in his Lazer with a 4 star motor, he did the season with only putting a bit of oil on the bearings. I've got the LRP Comp 2007 model with a 5.5 motor that i got for the 4WD, I usde this for a meeting or two and then sold the car. Since then it has gone in my B4 and it rules, with all the upgrades the new models come with it is easy to tune out the power(i have got a 6.5 on order as the 5.5 is far to much for me in 2WD).I don't think i will go back to brushed.
Old 08-05-2007
Mad Member

I've got the LRP sphere comp 2007 with a 5.5 motor and it's the best thing i've bought.
Old 08-05-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

I use the NOSRAM MATRIX ISTC in 4wd with a STORM 6.5, plenty powerful and the fan keeps it all cooooool. Very highly recommended.
Old 08-05-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I have a Sphere 2007 and X11 5.5 in my BJ4 and like Neil it's the best thing I've bought in a while

The feel is different to a brushed setup, but after getting used to it I much prefer it, you have a lot more torque low down if you need it and the acceleration is very consistent at any speed. The brakes arn't as good as a brushed motor IMO, they're strong alright but seem a bit on or off.

The best bit is the almost complete lack of maintinence needed, I bolted it all into my BJ4 back in January and tonight was the first time it'd come out of the car, and thats only because I'm giving the car a rebuild before Kiddy
Old 08-05-2007

Send a message via MSN to tc2k

Not having anything to do, you brushless guys make me sick.

Im only jealous
Old 08-05-2007
Amateur Member

Thanks for your thoughts. It does seem like it's the future! As with everything, technology moves on and I guess there will come a day when we reflect on the old brushed motors with nostalga.

It looks like Nosram and LRP are favorites out there. When's pay day again?...
Old 09-05-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Cost – If you already have a fully working brushed setup you are happy with then I agree it is a lot of money. However if you need a new speedo and are looking at buying motors ahead of the 2007 season then the fact you’ll only need 1 or maybe 2 brushless motors and they last for so long maintenance free means it’s cheaper. Of the people I know and race with, all buy top end ESC’s when they get a new one whether they ‘need’ to get the best one or not.

Rich reference the different feel of the brushless and the brakes are not as good. This is true of the bonded versions. I believe the sintered motor versions feel almost no different and have better brakes than any of the brushed setups I ever had.

Lastly, regarding cost, I have to point out the Novak system is substantially cheaper than the LRP/Nosram one. I believe if you buy as a package, you can get the latest version with the sintered motors for £180, which is actually cheaper than a top line brushed ESC and motor combo!!!!
Old 09-05-2007
LeeOtard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil c View Post
i have both lrp sphere and novak gtb and i like both, but the novak seems to have more punch but less brakes the lrp sphere,but i know one thing i will not go back to brushed its to much hassle skimming motors ,bedding in new brushes, cleaning them every race and sticking brushes ! how many people have lost a race due to sticking brushes !
put a sinted rotor in the bad boy novak...

then u will have increased punch and brakes!!!

like dan said really......
Old 09-05-2007
Mad Member

Can you get sintered rotors for the LRP/Nosram gear?
Old 09-05-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Wraggy

yeah you can stan , not sure of price though , think around £20 mark but might be wrong ...
Old 09-05-2007
Mad Member

Just wondering, cos i've had 3 motors now (one is the same motor twice) that have thrown their bonding on the rotor, and seized the motor. Just wondering if maybe the sintered route might be better/more reliable
Old 09-05-2007
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

nosram Novak or LRP all very good and miles better than the brushed equivalent