Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 06-09-2009

Default Lazer ZX-5 RTR

First time post....plz be gentle...lol

Ive just ordered a ZX-5 RTR and have been looking on here to find out upgrades i need to make to it.Im alittle confused tho on what bits i need and where to get them from,ive looked on a well know internet auction site but that comes up with hardly any upgrades.Ive also seen people mention the LAW35 kit,do i need this?.I cant fine this anywhere too,could somebody point me in the right direction.
Old 06-09-2009

Hi, I used a zx5 about 2 years ago and found the main things to change were the plastic wishbone carriers to alloy ones, the front shock tower to a carbon fibre one(atomic carbon made them 3mm) and the shock tower mounts to alloy ones, if I remember right the law35 was a rear end conversion, shorter wishbones and longer hub carriers with some slightly modified shock seals and rods+ driveshafts but you won't need that if you are just using the car at club level.
Also when you search for parts try worldwide as I got the alloy parts from america at the time
Old 06-09-2009
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Steve, yours was a decent one though, and this is an rtr.

Loads of people will disagree, but my personal answer is scrap the rtr and upgrade every single part
Old 06-09-2009

sorry I think the rear conversion I was thinking of was law34, also rc-direct used to do a good stock of spares for this car in the uk.
Old 06-09-2009

the rtr uses the same layout as the 1st zx5 and parts Iam sure col, just maybe not carbon composite??
Old 06-09-2009

Thx for your replys.Im looking on RC-Direct now.When looking for parts it just says Lazer ZX5 does that mean it fits all the ZX5 range eg FS,SP and RTR or do i just look for parts for the RTR only??
Old 06-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
Thx for your replys.Im looking on RC-Direct now.When looking for parts it just says Lazer ZX5 does that mean it fits all the ZX5 range eg FS,SP and RTR or do i just look for parts for the RTR only??
sorry can't really help you with that one been to long since I raced it, Iam sure some of the parts are the same just maybe a bit stronger than the rtr version maybe check the part numbers with your book? or give them a call and Iam sure they will point you in the right direction for the parts that are interchangeable
Old 07-09-2009
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

The rtr is the same car as the original zx5, just made of weaker plastic and with different driveshafts (only built to run stock motors) so all parts should fit.
The SP is the same chassis as the original, but with much altered and improved suspension geometry.
The FS has the SP suspension, but a "saddle" style chassis with relocated motor, etc. Essentially an entirely different car from the original zx5.
Old 07-09-2009

Default lazer rtr

HI, I am running a version of the lazer, I have LOADS of up grades if needed so send a wish list and I will try to help, also try microtechracing.com
Old 09-09-2009

Default RTR Shocks

Hi I have recently got a RTR ZX-5 and have noticed the dampers are hemmoraging oil, what do you recommend I replace them with? Or just put up with it and keep filling with oil maybe?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2009
Mad Member

Default zx5 shocks

i use the triple velvet shocks on my sp mate they are realy smooth and have never leaked i think they are about £60 for a full set
Old 09-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb View Post
i use the triple velvet shocks on my sp mate they are realy smooth and have never leaked i think they are about £60 for a full set
Could you tell me where from plz?
Old 09-09-2009
Mad Member

http://www.rcplanet.com/category_s/1320.htm

HTH
Old 10-09-2009
Mad Member

Default triple velvet shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
Could you tell me where from plz?
get them from microtech racing or phil booth racing both are very good
Old 07-10-2009

Default 3Racing Shocks

Just ordered the above for a bargain £18 off ebay
Old 07-10-2009
Mad Member

Default shocks

id cancel your order mate honestly they are nothing like they are to put it politely crap!
Old 07-10-2009

Oh dear. I should have checked on here first
Old 07-10-2009
Mad Member

ZX5 RTR was always thought to be great value for money, its ready to run and you have to start somewhere, a good secondhand "kit" car from the 'for sale' section may have been a better buy, or a wise way of buying spares, read the original oOple review on here, get your car and see what it needs, deffo a front alloy brace, stops the gearbox ripping apart when you damage the front wishbones, (catching the front wheel on something at speed), alloy shock tower mounts & possibly carbon shock towers.

The car will easy take a stick lipo with a bit of weight added for balance, we ran an original kit car for a number of years and was very pleased with it, find a local club and get racing.

also DMS & the race place may have spares, there are not a lot of ZX5's on the tracks but you should be able to find bits, always ask on here for advice.
Old 08-10-2009

Thanks guys, the main mods I have done so far are schumacher yellows (which have transformed the grip), an alloy front wishbone mount and a carbon composite front shock tower. I am a little disappointed with the top speed of the orion brushless motor that came with it but it does seem pretty punchy in the slower speed bits I've been trying to work out what my gear ratio is and compare it with the Orion recommended starting settings but I'm not sure whats what with all that yet