Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 01-07-2013

Default lazer zx gearbox help

hi all, i have just finished stripping cleaning and re building my lazer, i think its a zxr but not 100% with that, the part i need help with is the assembly of the main shaft. ive assembled it from memory.

starting from the spur gear side, i have......

lock nut
limiter coller
4 wave washers
guide plate
slipper plate
spur gear with balls
slipper plate
rear drive hub
drive pulley
pulley flange
8mm o/d x 4mm i/d 1.5 thick washer
thrust bearing
8mm o/d x4mm i/d 1.5 thick washer
E ring
drive pulley
pulley flange
shim
front drive hub
limiter collar
lock nut

hope all this makes sense. the part im not sure about is were i have put the thrust bearing between the two washers. i have downloaded a manual and no thrust bearing mentioned, just a collar. but i don't have a collar that fits. so if anybody can point me in the right directionwould be much appreciated.
thanks, rob.
Old 01-07-2013
Mad Member

Some pictures woukd be helpful.
Old 01-07-2013

Default gearbox pics

ok, i will try get some pics up when i get time to strip gearbox down.
Old 01-07-2013

Default gearbox pics

ok, i will try get some pics up when i get time to strip gearbox down.
Old 01-07-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

There is a grey bushing in the central spur gear hole. There is a bushing in the hub going into the motor plate. Theres two options between the layshaft pulleys, i prefer the thrust washer to a solid bearing but the bearing does work just as well. So for a bearing measure the inner thrust plare washers inner hole and also the outer diameter in mm's and then you should be able to find a bearing. Be warned you may find the bearing works better without the e clip on the layshaft
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 01-07-2013
Mad Member

Rather than people trying to guess whether it's correct or not, here's the ZX-R manual.
http://www.retromodelisme.com/manuel...-r-kyosho.html

Layshaft part1
http://www.retromodelisme.com/scan_p...ho-page-8.html
Layshaft part2
http://www.retromodelisme.com/scan_p...ho-page-8.html
Old 02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
There is a grey bushing in the central spur gear hole. There is a bushing in the hub going into the motor plate. Theres two options between the layshaft pulleys, i prefer the thrust washer to a solid bearing but the bearing does work just as well. So for a bearing measure the inner thrust plare washers inner hole and also the outer diameter in mm's and then you should be able to find a bearing. Be warned you may find the bearing works better without the e clip on the layshaft
Hi Welshy. I
Forgot to mention them bushings, They are in my build. have i done the thrust bearing part correct? With the two 1.5 washers either side of the thrust bearing? Thats the part im unsure about and is not shown in manual .
Thanks for the replys
Old 02-07-2013
Mad Member

The thrust bearing is not shown in the manual because it's not supposed to be in there. In yours all it is doing is acting as a spacer.
Old 02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
The thrust bearing is not shown in the manual because it's not supposed to be in there. In yours all it is doing is acting as a spacer.
why would the spacer be changed to a thrust bearing?. Does anybody know the length of the spacer please so i can make one?
Old 02-07-2013
Mad Member

Reading through your first post again it's not a ZX-R slipper you have at all, it's the ZX ball diff. Seen the words ZXR and mentioning slipper parts in your original post and mistook it for the ZX-R.

The thrust bearing works with the centre ball diff, the layshaft has no slipper function. Try running the ball diff loose enough to act as a slipper and you will have no drive. A common mod was to take the balls out of the spur gear and tighten up the diff nut to lock up the diff.

The correct manual is here
http://www.retromodelisme.com/manuel...zx-kyosho.html
From your description you have not listed the spacer that goes inside the rear drive hub, although I presume you will have missed the spacer being a separate part as it fits in flush with the drive hub.
Old 02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Reading through your first post again it's not a ZX-R slipper you have at all, it's the ZX ball diff. Seen the words ZXR and mentioning slipper parts in your original post and mistook it for the ZX-R.

The thrust bearing works with the centre ball diff, the layshaft has no slipper function. Try running the ball diff loose enough to act as a slipper and you will have no drive. A common mod was to take the balls out of the spur gear and tighten up the diff nut to lock up the diff.

The correct manual is here
http://www.retromodelisme.com/manuel...zx-kyosho.html
From your description you have not listed the spacer that goes inside the rear drive hub, although I presume you will have missed the spacer being a separate part as it fits in flush with the drive hub.
thankyou Terry,sc my mind is now at rest knowing i have assembled the drive correctly. it helps using the correct manual, silly me.
Old 03-07-2013

Default finished

The lazer is built, just need to find a servo plate so i can then add the electrics, new shell and then enjoy . The last pic is my attempt to add strength to the front gearbox casing as ive noticed in my box of parts a few broken cases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130702_190623.jpg (525.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20130702_190154.jpg (539.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20130701_210800.jpg (561.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20130701_211013.jpg (366.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-07-2013
Mad Member

The ears break off the front gearboxes when it rolls in a crash, the top of pne shock mount hits the ground and twists back to twist off the gearbox mounting point. For a runner replacing the shock mount with a fibrelyte part that has a bridge between the two upper points greatly strengthens the gearbox mounting points as it transfers the load between both ears.
Old 03-07-2013

As per Terrys comments. I prefer the section on fibrelytes website (link below) under kyosho, lazer Zx there is a semicircular handle type mount. Thats the strongest and i use. Also comes in handy when you roll as you almost always roll back onto your wheels
Answer UK team driver
Old 04-07-2013

Default shock tower

I do have these not sure who they are made by think i was told the top deck may be a wasp item?, my thinking was that the alloy ones would bend and take the impact away with them bending. I will take the advice and fit then instead, . I used to have a carbon chassis aswell but sadly snapped :-(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130704_063415.jpg (518.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20130704_063453.jpg (580.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-07-2013

Those shock towers are sufficient. The top deck is either a wasp or HPI, but carbon fibre is better and much stronger than alloy.
Answer UK team driver
Old 06-07-2013

i am now wanting to get a a new shell and under tray for my lazer, but before i do, i would like the advice and experience you guys please. i am aware kamtec do an la122 shell, but looking at the picture it looks like a mk5 lazer rtr shell?. Also i was kindly put in the direction of bluegroove in canada. they do a zx-r shell and under tray. Are any of these shells capable of the knocks and bangs of racing? what i would like is a zx shell to keep things original but not managed to find one.
Old 06-07-2013

Hey mate.
Kamtec do the Lazer ZX-S LA-122 shell which is a bit thin and crap in places.
TBG do a Lazer ZX and ZX-R shell and undertray and I'm afraid it's a bit of hit and miss. I've ordered several of both with mixed results. Just hope you don't get a Monday morning/Friday afternoon one.

Nick
Old 07-07-2013

Nick i doubt your zxs shell came from kamtec.

The zxs shell is much thicker than the original and lasts a long time. Im still using the first production shell ever made, and still looks new. Its taken one hell of a beating as well. The shell comes with an undertray as well and is good as well.

Team blue grove does a thin shell and undertray and not good for racing, only good for a shelfer. I used five undertrays from blue grove when using the kamtec tomcat shell which is a wider shell and looks nicer than a zxr. The undertrays were breaking up after each round so i would recomend getting the tom cat shell and waiting a while until my molds finished for the carbon fibre tub chassis then you wont need an undertray.

I will find a picture on the lazer thread and post the link but kamtecs link to the shell (no undertray yet) is here. Thats the first shell ever made and i still have it on my car.

http://www.kamtec.co.uk/index.php?pa...hk=1&Itemid=53

Also cant find a picture of my car but here is another one.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?p=734860
Answer UK team driver
Old 07-07-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob m View Post
I do have these not sure who they are made by think i was told the top deck may be a wasp item?, my thinking was that the alloy ones would bend and take the impact away with them bending. I will take the advice and fit then instead, . I used to have a carbon chassis aswell but sadly snapped :-(
top deck

HP i have one of thos looks cool.

mvh isobarik