Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 01-02-2012

Default advice on moving from highend brushed to brushless motor market.

Basically I am toying with the idea of moving over to brushless system.

I am use to racing an running checkpoint 9t off road motors (or similar epic motors) with the blue and red springs on a 1/10th 2wd buggy. And to be honest with the check point motors they don’t normally need much maintenance until the 35 run mark, plus I quite enjoy the whole machining of the comms and such.

If I was in the future to move over to brushless in the future what type of spec motor would I need to match the performance of my checkpoints??
Also can you adjust the timings on the brushless systems?
Dose the braking compare to brushed motors?
Whereas on a tight and winey track if I had a fast motor I would just change silver brushes for copper ones to compensate... what can be done with brushless systems as I wouldn’t really want to be changing motors at every different track due to costs.

Any advice would be appreciated
Old 11-02-2012

HI THERE

I have not run brushed to the extent you have but i would recommend brushless any day.

I run 2wd and i run a 7.5 t LRP either lrp speed passion there are loads.
you can adjust the timing on most race spec motors either on the can or with the ESC

If not all brushless motors are censored and will require a brushless ESC

The thing with these motors is they are very smooth they deliver the power much smoother and more constant. They dont get as hot and need no maintenance what so ever.

They are suited to all types of track big, small, tight, loose indoor out door etc etc

I would advice to move to brushless. But the only down side is if you do enjoy the comm work etc then you best stick with brushed

Old 12-02-2012
Mad Member

Most brushless ESCs allow you to tune the drag brake, on mine i get (i think) 0-20% in 5% intervals, experiment to get exactly what you want, bit more on windy circuits, less (or none at all) on big circuits.

Some recommend not using any drag and just using the brakes as its possible to actually have decent brakes on a brushless. As you have the programmability of the ESC. The ESCs i use have an ABS feature, so flat out down the straight and then slamming full brakes on results in no more than the attitude of the car changing, and it slowing down extremely quickly. Doing this on brushed, from what i can remember, would result in all 4 wheels locking and the car essentially being a lump of plastic and metal sliding down the track, until it hits something. Bit trickier on 2wd but still a massive improvement on just using reverse or internal friction on a brushed motor.

No idea what the performance of a checkpoint motor is, but anything of a decent quality around the 7.5t to 10.5t mark would give you *perfect* 2wd performance, depending on what the course is like, see what the other guys at the club are running too. Other benefit is that with good brushless ESC/motors is possible to overload/boost/advance the motor to get the effect of a lower turn (but with related heat issues) or to back it off to move to (effectively) a higher turn.
Might need to move to LiPo to take full advantage of brushless too, the current drains are "significant" on start up. Unless you are already LiPoed up.

Try looking for XeRun or EzRun combos on eBay for an easy and cheap intro to brushless, IIRC the EzRuns are sensorless, so a little less programmable and tweakable, the XeRuns are sensored, and give a much more controllable drive.

And 35 runs? Jeez, don't think i could handle servicing that often Brushless tend to need a clean (blast of compressor air or electrical cleaner) and a drop of oil on the bearings every now and again. That's it.

Do some more digging, you'll find lots of others who have had the same dilemma, i don't think many who have made the move have gone back........