Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 22-02-2007

Send a message via MSN to AndyM
Default Help?

hi all,

my car needs a new paint job, and i need some help

evry time i paint my shell with the spray cans, [custom colours] the paint goes rong, i always peels off, and flakes, the latest one i did got little blobs on the inside, even tho i was careful with the layers etc.

can any1 help me?

any advise on how to do a good job with cans? and how to prepare the shell before painting? [i hear some people sand the shell abit]

thanks alot
Old 22-02-2007
Administrator

I direct you to this link:

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/bury260206/imagepages/bury07.html

and advise you to try pactra or Tamiya paint cans - I know your pain.
Old 22-02-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

I never scour the inside anymore, I have tried it but find it dulls the finish of the paint. I don't beleive any of my shells have colour flake issue's either. All I do is use piping hot water out the tap, rinse inside the shell, then, Fairy liquid (not the cheap stuff) and a sponge side of a scourer, and sponge the whole of the inside of the shell, it degreases the shell lovely and leaves a pristine surface for the paint to adhere to. Rinse out with hot water, shake off the water and dry with a tea towel.

When it comes to masking inside, wash your hands with fairy liquid, it removes all the grease from your hands and means you don't leave any oil contaminents on the inside of the shell, and should be good for the whole masking process (unless you sweat like a rapist).

When it comes to spraying, the first coat, I always think, is the most important, and should just be a light dusting (slightly warming the aerosol in warm water helps this), allow to dry or blow warm air over it, then when you think it is dry, do the next thin layer.

Also, it is always worth remembering to mask the light area so the dark can be sprayed first, and either backed with black (to deepen the colour), silver (to enhance the colout) or white (to brighten the colour).

Hope that helps a little.
Old 22-02-2007

Send a message via MSN to tc2k

Never ever use custom colour. Only time I used it, it peeled within 1 race. I use tamiya paint, really good.
Old 22-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
(unless you sweat like a rapist).

haha, like it

thanks, thats great help, and advise evry1, i will try pactra or tamiya colours,

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/bury2...bury2wd45.html

this is what happened to my old shell on the b4,

with the X6 its worse, it flakes,

thanks for yor help, its really helpful

Last edited by AndyM; 22-02-2007 at 08:04 PM. Reason: pic didnt work
Old 23-02-2007

is pactra or tamiya spray paint better??

also, does any1 hav any very simple ideas for paint jobs? [this will be my first debent spray job [hopefully] so i need to keep simple ]

thanks alot all

Andy
Old 23-02-2007

hi andy,as mentioned b4,make sure your shell is properly cleaned.i have found that tamiya spray cans are the best and so is their masking tape. a little more expensive,but the end results will be worth it.after you have got your design,clean'd, masked and trimmed,try running a plastic card (credit card size) over the masking tapes edges,to help stop the paint bleeding.just remember,always clean hands,light coats of paint(especially the 1st one),take your time,dont rush and enjoy doing it. cant get photo of my old t/c to upload so will try in a min,all done with spray cans. good luck and be creative !!
Old 23-02-2007

all done with spray cans.
IMG_0307.jpg
Old 23-02-2007

wow! how do yoo do that with cans?

that must of been complicated

well done! it looks fantastic...i might steal yor idea

i really like that. i might adapt it abit, it looks great!

thanks alot for ya help clunk....

Old 23-02-2007
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Andy, don't forget: always spray the dark colours first, or it will show through the lighter ones...
Old 23-02-2007
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2k View Post
Never ever use custom colour. Only time I used it, it peeled within 1 race. I use tamiya paint, really good.
I've never had any problems with Custom Colour cans - as long as the shell is clean it should be fine.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 23-02-2007

thanks andy. that was done a couple of years ago b4 i got my 1st airbrush. just take your time.one other thing when using spray cans,always make sure the nozzle is clean b4 spraying another coat.turn the can upside down and spray to clear it,and remember to try to spray 'past' the object,not directly onto it. let us know how you go on m8.
Old 23-02-2007

i will....another thing tho....[sorry, im full of questions ]

how do yoo do the pinstripes?

are they not really difficult?

i want to do some, but i think they will be hard as...

thanks agen
Old 23-02-2007

two ways m8,buy some thin masking tape,pull astrip off,stick it to a cutting board then with a ruler cut it to a thickness that you want.stick that on your shell first,then use wider masking for everything else,just b carefull when pulling the wider masking off.
OR,go down to halfords and by some car pinstripes,about £2,and stick on the outside of your shell joining your 2 colours up !! just depends how much time you have !!!