Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Titchfield Off Road Club Hants

Old 04-10-2010

Default Indoor over the winter period

Not sure if it's been discussed or not but I for one would'nt mind doing my racing in the warm, so if anyone knows someone who can rent a hall perhaps on a Friday night?
I'm not wanting to break away from TORCH but to run it the same as the club with the same committee running things.
Just looking for more options to help the club grow and we get to have more racing time.
So let the chat begin.
Old 04-10-2010

i think its a good idea ....when i left the track yesterday, there were huge puddles forming up by the table top n surrounding areas....so may be as a back up ..be a good idea
Old 04-10-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Hi,

OK a few questions:
1) Find a hall that would allow racing on Friday nights or something
2) That doesn't cost the earth and cause us money problems & impact outdoor racing. I.e. People race indoors and then only five turn up on the Sunday.
3) Track carpet / jumps etc. would need to be built, purchased etc.

indoor racing costs I expect would have to be higher

Personally if people want to race indoors I'd get another laptop up and running and would like to see other members run the meeting etc. I don't believe we should stop racing outdoors over winter
Old 04-10-2010

It was'nt aimed at stopping racing on Sunday it's as well as, i can assist with laptop
Old 04-10-2010

nor me ..ill continue also on a sunday racing as i do prefer it outside ..especially now the durango is sorted .. i can see what mike is saying ,n i guess wont be easy to sort out an indoor place .

i dont mind helping out with anything i can do ..ppl just have to ask
Old 04-10-2010

Hi,

I would suggest once a month or every other week. My gut says once a month
Old 04-10-2010

That would be fine.
Right everyone, start looking for a venue and asking the right questions.
All we need is enthusiasm
oh! and some carpet, wood and a site.
Easy if you say it quick.
Old 04-10-2010
Mad Member

I'd be up for it, on one of the council websites there are a list of halls available, will see if i can find it.

One thing i would say is that a midweek night may be better for some. From a family point of few, going out Friday evening and Sunday is not ideal. Tues/weds would be much better.
Old 04-10-2010
Mad Member

Best list i can find

http://e.volve.org.uk/Listings.aspx?index=563&item=2848
Old 04-10-2010

Racing indoors over winter does seem appealing though believe the catchment area of members is quite widespread. So for many to get there at say 7pm would be quite a struggle.

It might be worth starting a poll to ascertain how many members could and would actually attend an indoor TORCH series. The roads are fortunately a lot more empty on Sunday mornings.
Alternatively what about starting a thread asking for some suggestions on how to cope with racing at TORCH over winter + in the rain. It might be a lot easier to make a few modifications to your car and to buy a few waterproofs then it would be to set up an indoor series.

What do other clubs do on rainy cold days?

Old 04-10-2010

I like the poll idea, but as stated I would like it to be a mid week affair, so as not to affect Sunday's meetings
Most ESC are fairly water tight, brushless systems do require a bit more care blue-tak or that new stuff by RC-Lazy over the sensor lead and any exposed connectors + receiver.
I used to travel to Newbury and do there indoor series and its good fun.
Thanks for the link Dibble will do a few e-mails on Wednesday and see whats what.
Lets keep chatting.
Old 04-10-2010

I know Newbury only do touring cars at the moment, but what about contacting them and seeing if we could share their equipment on a different night to their club events. Would be easier than starting from scratch at another venue.
Old 04-10-2010

think newbury a bit to far to go most people dont finsh work to five be hard to get there for a 7 o.clock start.
i like the sound of indoor raceing but it takes time to set it up each meeting and if you dont get the numbers its alot of work for nothing plus it will cost to set it all up think money would be better spent on the track we got
Old 04-10-2010

I would like to scrounge, beg, borrow and steal, well not the last one but on the cheap as possible.
Are there any touring car tracks throwing out there old carpet? Newbury is a bit to far I think for most of the TORCH regulars but I think that quite a few would travel 10 to 20 miles to race for an evening.
Lets ask around.
Old 04-10-2010

Default Wickham Indoor Community centre

For some who remember there were indoor meetings run on a Thursday evening at Wickham Community Centre a few moons ago??

I used to get involved running these meetings before Chris W got involved.

Realistically setup needs completing by 7pm and that usually takes 2 hours. So we would need 4 - 6 people to make the venue by 5pm and make the racing happen every meeting.
Then the clear up about 1/2 hour with help from all.

The carpet may even still be at Wickham still?

I would suggest this is an opportunity but should run in conjunction with the committees support and only should run every other week.

This is a big ask, and the fact that we get little support to make big changes to the outdoor venue, I would say the pressure would be apparent.

We have had a 3 - 4 work party days this year, I can honestly say we only a small number of people support the club and my appreciation goes out to those members who did. Also not to forget the select few who have gone out there way to help outside of these days.

My aim was to relay the track this year but with so little support we have not had the ability to develop the track to the standard we so much desire.

Personally we need to get our own house in order before we venture out to other challenges/opportunities.

Remember there will be a AGM and things can change. When proposals are required you will be notified.

Steve
Old 04-10-2010

hi i can understand what steve sais n i agree ...home first
Old 05-10-2010
Mad Member

Just to give us an idea of what we are looking at, just checked the Wickham Hall website and the main hall there is £24.80 an hour off peak so just under £150 for the six hours (5.00 til 11.00 to allow for set up and clear up). We could probably do a deal if we booked a period of weeks in advance but it is still going to be a chunk of cash – at £150 if you only get 15 drivers, which is not untypical for a Sunday morning meeting, then you are looking at £10 each just to cover the hall.

Need to find a much cheaper hall and some hard working volunteers as the present committee are already stretched (as per Steve’s comments)

I’ll e-mail Chris to find out what he did with the remains of the carpet (most of it got wrecked when vandals broke in and poured paint on it).

Rob
Old 05-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
(most of it got wrecked when vandals broke in and poured paint on it).
B@stards
Old 05-10-2010

This is a great idea. Maybe i'm getting old but i much prefer to race indoors in the winter^^
Old 05-10-2010

All in favour of some nice indoor racing. Just as a thought, some indoor venues use the natural floor surface and not carpet. Be a lot quicker to set up too.

You could approach other (TC) clubs with a decent venue who may be willing to share the venue on different nights. SHMCC may be worth approaching in New Milton.

If we are outdoors I can recommend the rcLazy Goo. We covered Simon's speedo and receiver in it and dunked it in a bucket of water and it worked before during and after the dunk. Brilliant stuff.