Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 26-05-2008
Mad Member

Bear in mind that 15 minutes run time is a lot longer than an actual race - which are 5 minutes - and 15 minutes is going to generate a lot more heat in the car.

What pinion were you running on the Yokomo motor? The 23 is far too large for the 12 turn you mentioned earlier (I have been running 18 on a 12 turn indoors and that was plenty). 23 is probably too large for the Yokomo motor too - I was running my 19 turn motor on a 19 pinion indoors.

I hate to say it also but the motors you are using are primarily "budget" motors and don't perform as well as the higher end motors, especially if you start pushing them to the limits. And your ESC, while competent, is not at the same level as the competition ones a lot of people on these forums use. Don't get me wrong, with good prep the motors and ESC should be totally usable, but with 15 minutes of running on a bad gear ration they will struggle (as would any setup).

To check the drivetrain, slip off the pinion and roll the car back and forth on the floor - it should roll away under its own momentum. There is a difference between a smooth but tight drivetrain and a truly free one. It is very easy to overtighten the rear wheels on these cars which will ruin the drivetrain straight away. Secondly the gear mesh needs to have a bit of backlash and the belts need to be set EXACTLY as the instructions say.
Old 26-05-2008

Send a message via ICQ to CAClark Send a message via MSN to CAClark

I know the motors are budget motors, right now I don't have endless money to throw at the car. The ESC is fair comment, but I have a Quantum2 Competition, and that doesn't make any difference, still the same problem. The drive train is proper free, though I will recheck the belts as I did notice the front and rear differ slightly in tension.

The thing is, I find it hard to see that the 8x1 Peak motor in the losi can run lower temp than a budget 17T? The Losi is insanely fast, and can be driven flat out for 3 full battery charges without incendent.

Having said that, I will look in to pinions, as I havve the larger of the two kit pinions on at the moment.

Cheers!
Old 27-05-2008

I'm with Mr Clark on this one. The Losi in question is mine and I really give it some stick. I can bash it about on full throttle all day long with a ridiculous amount of power from the 8x1 motor and yes it gets quite hot but nowhere near as hot as Craigs Durga.

This talk of motors being cheap and cars not being able to run flat out for more than 5 minutes is total rubbish. Theres a fundamental problem with the temperatures on Craigs car that we haven't worked out just yet but it ain't to do with the way it's being driven I can tell you.

I think it must be something to do with the speed controller or the way it's setup. because apart from that, everythings been checked or changed for something we know works.