Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8 Nitro Off Road / Rallycross

Old 08-01-2010

Default urgent help please!!

hi,
i have a hyper 7, i dont know much about rc cars and really need some help, the car started perfectly the two times ive used it, but now it wont start at ill, ive deflooded the engine, primed it, check glow plug ect and it just wont start, i've used a hair dryer to heat it and that doesnt work! any advice would be nice!!
james
Old 08-01-2010

Default help

hi mate best thing is to start from scratch, check glow plug is still glowing,are you using a starter box?if so make sure its fully charged and lined up correctly (take out the engine and line up through chassis) and if its still not starting even when warmed i would go onlineput the engine make into google and reset all needles to factory settings at least then your starting from scratch,take of the fuel line from the top of pipe and blow the fuel into carb it should start now,
Old 08-01-2010

1st thing-Charge up glow starter, starter box batts-if you have them.. Make sure its all funnly charged. Put the piston at Bottom dead centre/make sure the flywheel moves. Maybe try new glowplug and see if that helps.. make sure fuel is getting into the carb and your idle screw is in a bit more. Heat the engine case up then try again.. in short bursts..Was it running ok when it did start. I.E. Solid idle ect? as it could be too rich, too lean, idle not gap not large enough.. soo many variables..
Old 08-01-2010

hi, thanks for the advice, it was running fine, then the next time i started it, when i applied about half throttle it cut out. I left it to warm up and it still did this, i then thought id read up about the engine ect, i tried to start it again today and it wouldnt start, ive check glow plug charge ect. Do you think resetting to factory setting will get it running?
cheers for your help guys
james
Old 08-01-2010

yea I would put the needles back to factory setting and maybe lean it out from there quarter of a turn.. And fully charge glow igniter batts and stuff. So its all ready and try again tomorrow..
It's either a bad tune-When it cut at half throttle did it struggle to gain speed.. as it could be too rich.. or too lean.. but putting it back to factory setting will solve the tune side of things.. another possibility is glow plug it shot-How much use has it had? and when you do it try a few times then stop.. as flooding the engine makes it worse. And before you start it-Factory settings on needles maybe slightly lean them out so its not sobbing rich then-put your finger over the exhaust tip and pull a few tugs on the starter cord-Or starter box until you see the fuel enter the carb then stop.. then heat it up a bit-Hair-dryer heat gun not a soldering iron!-on the Casing not the head.. then glow igniter then try again.. Patience!

Let me know how you get on!
Old 08-01-2010

really appreciate your help mate, ill try tomorrow, as its currently snowing like mad!!
Old 08-01-2010

No problem buddy-thats what forums are for.. I have learnt loads from here and other's... So I try and help when I can too..
Old 09-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi,was it new,used,been run in,needs running in,are you running it in?

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 10-01-2010
Gypsy Member

Default brushless

put a brushless system in it. allya nitro problems solved. and more power
Old 10-01-2010

haha yea but Im sorry leccy just doesn't have that buzz that nitro does. I ran a SC10 in a 1/10th leccy class as my local clanfield.. and after the 1st heat-Granted the track inst suited to 1/10th even with it shortened. I was a bit lil.. hmm I feel not masses of fun in this. Granted alot was to do with about 3 cars all with diff motors my sc10 a few 2wd buggies ect.. so it wasn't exactly close racing as such.. Yes it was a laugh but, just doesn't have that smell the noise the more realistic feeling to it.. Dont get me wrong I love leccy but for racing I prefer nitro.... Coming from the guy with a Xray 809 spec nitro and a RC8-Rc-monster leccy conversion kit and a B44 haha but the B44 is for a small local club-Titchfield to do on the odd Sunday if no nitro racing and sometimes PDA.. and the rc8 is mainly for summer as there is hopefully going to be a Wed night leccy series.. and for some 1/8th fun.. but yea once you get the nack of nitro its alot more fun racing In my view..
Old 10-01-2010
Mad Member

I know that electric does not smell or have the engine noise but if you have got a set of similar cars that are racing together then it does not matter how they are powered as the race is on!. Really you need to be in a race with other short course trucks to really get a feel for it. It is interesting to see the results from the nitromania x event that is on at the moment as the overall times for 1/8th Rally X electric are faster than their nitro equivalents.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 10-01-2010

I know, thats why I said.. having different cars ect doesn't help..I know once I start racing my leccy I will enjoy it.. but (For me) nitro will have that edge over leccy..Yea, I generally think that 1/8th leccys will be slightly faster on most tracks.. probably more so technical ones..
Old 10-01-2010

it has ben run in, currently running on 16% nitro,havent had chance to try yet due to this bloody snow and a level revision
Old 10-01-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowlett View Post
it has ben run in, currently running on 16% nitro,havent had chance to try yet due to this bloody snow and a level revision
Ahh that will be one of your problems as you are using 16% fuel in a 21 size engine which really should run on 25%. 16% is normally used for smaller engines.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 10-01-2010

ahh right, the guy i purchased it off said he was using this as the engine will run cooler, im not overly bothered about the speed so what % would you advice using?
cheers
james
Old 10-01-2010

Yea Grant is right its normally for smaller engines.. Um I would say 20-25% Will see what grant recommend's. I race and use 30% but used to run 25% when I bashed ect.. before I raced.. see what grant says!
Old 10-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

A by-product of the burnt fuel is water, so the higher the %age, the more water. So an engine running on 16% will not run cooler, and will not be as quick.

For your engine it is recommended to use 25%. I would choose Byron due to its lubricant properties, Optifuel is popular but it doesn't lubricate half as well, you will likely need after-run oil if you choose Optifuel to stop it rusting internally which I have heard of.

Personally I would choose 30%. I am relatively new to Nitro and was recommended 30% due to its performance, cooling, ease to tune and easy running. Life is not shortened (as long as tuned in properly). I have found keeping my engine running well easy.

If you revert back to factory settings for low end, high end and idle speed - start the engine on this and go from there. Use youtube to see and hear how an engine should be tuned and should sound - there is a particular rasp you need to hear. Too rich or too lean is bad for the engine, some people think just lean is bad, but rich is also damaging.

Have fun!
Old 10-01-2010

My view-If your not racing would not use %30-As the tuning window on 30% is alot smaller/finer.. If you get the tune wrong on 30% you could damadge the engine badly.. 20+25% are slightly easier if the tune is slightly off the engine is fine.. So if you do go 30% be very carefully.. as its a pickier in the tuning window so to say..

+1 Byron
Old 10-01-2010

ill go with what ever is easiest then, ill get some 25% and attempt to retune it thanks for your help ill let you know how i get along
Old 10-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowlett View Post
ahh right, the guy i purchased it off said he was using this as the engine will run cooler, im not overly bothered about the speed so what % would you advice using?
cheers
james
I noticed from another thread the car is second hand so why are you running it in. Do you know how old the fuel is. It deteriates with age