Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 12-08-2010

Dam, they we're always my first port of call when I needed something I didn't have myself. Always quick delivery.
Old 12-08-2010

Absolutely gutted! They were extremely influential in me getting me back into the hobby in 06/07, even if they didn't know it. Really hope KRob and Kev aren't going to lose out on all this.

A very sad day for RC.

Trev
Old 13-08-2010

And only a few weeks ago Brockmodels closed --> http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...ht=brockmodels

Hope there isn't going to be anymore..

Old 13-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
come on lets not speculate only those involved will know why/what etc
Well, something good has come out of this - it's changed Mark into the voice of reason!!

Bad news all round; here's hoping Keith and Kev can find something to keep body and soul together - preferably another shop of equal brilliance!
Old 13-08-2010

Found out last night, was trying to get through via phone all day yesterday. Thought the phone lines were broken!

For whatever reason this has happened (nothing official yet?) It's a sad day.

Regards to Kev and Keith, and thanks for all the help you've given all of us here.
Old 13-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
People ideally need to stop buying all their gear from Hong Kong and such like and start shopping with the UK shops..

Sad day and hope you guys get back on your feet.
Hit the nail on the head there !!!! this is what happens !!!
Old 13-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

sorry to see them go, bodyshell came just last week

wish I could remember all of the items I had on back order
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 13-08-2010

Just found out about Microtech on the Micro forum, very sad

Microtech offered the best service I've ever experienced. Live stock levels and next day delivery. Don't know where I'll go now!

Good luck to Keith and the crew.
Old 13-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzer View Post
Hit the nail on the head there !!!! this is what happens !!!

Well I run a 511 so have to get all my spares imported. The issue is when a shop advertises that a part is in stock but you end up waiting 2-3 weeks for it as it's on back order.

Also price is a big factor, if an associated part is $5 then it instantly gets marked as £5 even when the converstion rate was 2/1

Maybe this if more people shopped abraod then the distibutors would have to lower the prices so that the shops could make a living?
Old 13-08-2010

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybucks View Post
Well I run a 511 so have to get all my spares imported. The issue is when a shop advertises that a part is in stock but you end up waiting 2-3 weeks for it as it's on back order.

Also price is a big factor, if an associated part is $5 then it instantly gets marked as £5 even when the converstion rate was 2/1

Maybe this if more people shopped abraod then the distibutors would have to lower the prices so that the shops could make a living?
Lol
Don't forget to add import duty, vat, postsge and a bit of profit for distributor and shop .

Try blaming the government.
Old 13-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:

When it was RRP'd in $ it would be costed for being put on the shelf in the USA, but convert it to £ and sell it on a shelf in England, there are a whole heap of other costs for the UK shops to consider - such as shipping, duty, higher cost in running a shop, not forgetting the insane cost of fuel for the lorry to drive it compared to in USA.... but for anyone to buy from USA is shortsighted just to think "because it is cheaper", UK can't lower the prices without going out of business, and so you shop abroad - still UK shop goes out of business.... then there are no shops... its the consumer that causes it. Pay the extra and support UK hobby shops guys!!!! This is why the UK is on its knee's, it is happening in all other industries, UK consumers are not loyal to UK stuff!!!!!!

Same for stuff made in China and costs peanuts, compared to stuff made in England and costs more but not much different... We all buy the cheapy China stuff, and wonder why we are redundant from our jobs! (Im thinking generally, not just RC)
Old 13-08-2010
Mad Member

Gutted here to, by far the one of the best model shops around other is mkracing. Sorry to see them go!

Now am hoping Mk stocks Durango!

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 13-08-2010
Mad Member

It's a real shame Microtech has gone - have had a few bits from them in the past; their great service and real-time stock levels would have had me going back too.
Old 13-08-2010

Quote:
The issue is when a shop advertises that a part is in stock but you end up waiting 2-3 weeks for it as it's on back order.
You didn't shop at Microtech then - they had online stock levels so you knew at the point of order what to expect. Plus they were on of the few online RC shops to conform to distance sellings regs, by only charging you for items despatched from stock.

Quote:
Big difference between USA price and UK/EURO price is import duty and VAT. They don't have VAT in the USA, some states have sales taxes but nothing like Eurpean rates of 15 - 20%. Governments charge VAT, so you can't really blame the shop. If your unhappy with import duty and VAT then write to Mr Osbourne!

If you are buying from the USA / HK then you should be paying those... but many international retailers send their packages out rated at $10 to avoid those charges - fraud. Also your not going to get any warranty or postal insurance on down rated goods. (its cheaper for you, but in the same way, buying a car stereo of a man in the pub is cheaper than going to your local motor factors).

I do buy stuff from HK and occasionally the US - but for goods that just aren't readily available here ( i too drive Tamiya). Yes the prices are cheaper, but when you get hit for taxes it works out the same!

I got a parcel of spare parts from HK rated at $35 (£23), I got charged £6.50 Vat and duty + £13.50 handling charges... suddenly $35 becomes £43 , not to mention the exchange rate charge on the credit card and the fuel cost of driving 20miles to depot to pay and collect.
Old 13-08-2010

This is all going out of shape..... I shop for lots of parts from Asia, I run predominantly Tamiya cars, which means I am at the mercy of Hobby Co, so I now buy spares, in bulk from Asia as it is pointless expecting Hobby Co to actually carry it in stock.

All my AE spares come from the UK, same for chargers etc.

Lets not forget, if the distributor hasn't got the part, or is very unwilling to support, then people WILL and DO go overseas, but the model shop doesn't 'lose' that sale, as it was never there's in the first place.

Times are tough at the moment, we don't know whether the bank refused to carry a Microtech any more, or their business model had collapsed, or whether their change from onroad focus to more off-road did it, but it is pointless blaming it on people buying from abroad.
Old 13-08-2010
Mad Member

If I can a part from my local hobby shop then I will and do.

When a first started racing 20 years ago, there were shops at every meeting. The last shop I saw at a meeting was the DMS regional. Before that I can't remember.

If you ordering parts on-line then of course your going to buy from the cheapest supplier.
Old 13-08-2010

deleted !!
Old 13-08-2010
oOple Advertiser

This thread is a very intersting (and sad) read. I feel gutted for Kevin and Keith, since they were both good guys to deal with (as a supplier to them) and even as a "competitor" (in shop terms) they never gave us any grief whatsoever and we just got along fine, dealing with what respective customers came our way.

Unless either Kev or Keith came out and disclosed the real reasons they are gone, then most people will never know the truth, it may have been any one or a combination of the reasons talked about right through this thread....

It is no hidden fact that business is slower than normal at present for many industries (including ours) and many business's are struggling along trying to make ends meet etc.... The R/C car business is NO different at present.

Customers do sadly expect "everything" (as some would say they are entitled to) they do want the very best prices, everything in stock in surplus quantities, delivery at the speed of light (plus they want the postage for free of course), they want to return items after any time scale just because they "dont want them now", they want the website to be smart looking and easy to navigate, plus they want a full time stock level checker (all of which costs money to put in place), they want knowledgable/experienced people to man the phones for help and advice for as many hours in the day as possible (7 days a week too if it could be done), they want a shop full to the brim from floor to ceiling of £1,000's and £1,000's of items they can came and browse at, warranties that run on for years upon end, they want you to be at trackside with your full shop at every race meeting around to supply them that £2 urgent spare parts that they have broke on the car they did not buy from you.....etc etc (I think you get my drift)

My point is, these things are all great, we all "want" those things, but they ALL cost money. FREE postage for one is great, but somwhere along the line somoene IS paying for it (whether it is the customer or the store is absorbing the cost themsleves), the latest full EPOS/Live Stock level websites etc do not come cheap and more important nor does the time involved in maintianing them and booking the stock in manually either, it ALL costs money and takes up LOTS of time, which has to be found from sales.........

I have to hand it to Microtech, they wiped the floor with our own store in several areas (website, live stock levels, FREE postage etc ALL included here) but is the cost of this higher service or whatever you wish to call it been their ultimate downfall? Only Kev and Keith know that answer, guys I wish you both the very best in whatever you end up doing.....

Darren

Edit; And before anyone says or jumps down my throat, the paragraph in the middle is NOT aimed at anyone in particular, it is simply a general summary of what model shops are asked for and get requested day in and day out by many of the their customers. Most customers are a pleasure to serve and are most grateful for all and any efforts that are made to service their needs as complete, quickly, and cheaply as possible, but many expect more than can be achieved within reason and cost sadly...
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 13-08-2010

Darren, given you recognise that DMS's biggest problems are the website layout and the lack of live stock levels, I hope this is a catalyst for you guys to get it sorted out! After all, even comparitively small players like Demon and MK can run live stock. Maybe you can buy the web architecture and stock manager off Microtech? I know you'd get a lot more of my money if you at least had live stock.

I shouldn't speculate- but, I'm dubious about it being a business issue. There was no promotional sales, there was no steady drying up of stock and credit, and surely they had great turnover. There was no move to web only sales to delete the overheads of the shop- it all just stopped, suddenly and effectively overnight...

If it was business issue, that's a real worry to me personally. If someone like Microtech couldn't survive, (as a shop only, given that DMS is also a distributor) then who can?

- Royal Racing Paint - <clicky>
Old 13-08-2010
oOple Advertiser

To be fair Chris this thread is not about DMS (which is why I did not reply earlier) it is about Microtech.

I did (quite honestly) point out several areas why I believed Microtech did things better than us, but if we too offered those things, we would most likely not be here too....

It may be worth reading what I said above, all those things you want cost money, we have invested ours in more "actual" stock (higher stock levels than almost anywhere else) rather than the tools that manage it. If we invested what I heard was rumoured to have been spent on their full EPOS system at Microtech (rumoured to be several £10,000's when I last spoke to Kevin) then we would most likely be an RIP company too.

Not sure how big some people think these business's actually are, we only are very small (but hard working) company, no bigger in terms of size or staff than both the other two you mention in MK or Demon (nor was Microtech - there was only the two of them there), plus if we did not have the premises overheads that Demon enjoy and benefit from pherhaps we too could invest that money more on the website, but whilst we sit in this high street property where we are there is no sign of that in our immediate future sadly......
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636