Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 17-05-2016

Default schumacher tyres what to use and when.2wd

Hi
ive always just followed what tyre everybody else as used at different tracks and never realy understood what other options or what each tyre is for so.if you can help to explain.
I. e
front cut stagger to stagger
low profile to normal profile

and all rear tyres
from silver to yellow mini pin

what conditions to use them and what surface.

thanks adam
Old 17-05-2016

Most people at my local clubs (outdoors) use

Schumacher Cut Stagger (low profile) Yellow fronts & Mini spike Yellow rears for the dry

Schumacher Cut Stagger (low profile) Silver fronts & Ballistic Buggy Greens rear for the wet

This is grass and astro. I dont think you'll go too far wrong but your local clubs may have some different combinations depending on the surfaces etc.
Old 18-05-2016

Thanks for replie
them setups am a bit normal across the board for most tracks I understand .same fir mini pin indoors and carpet dragons.

what gets me is
the two different tyre sizes on the front
I. e low profile and profile
when will you use the normal profile type. High or low grip??
Old 18-05-2016
Mad Member

Ok, here's my take on it, but I must stress here I am no expert and am just trying to look at this logically.

There are a few factors that influence the tyres: -
  • The type of rubber - with softer typically giving more grip and harder giving less (Blue = hardest, Green = hard, Yellow = softer, Silver = softest)
  • The tread pattern - how much contact is there between the rubber and the surface? More contact = more grip (Rule of thumb - pins = most grip, spikes = next, cut staggers = next and finally staggers. Obviously there are other like blocks etc but I've never seen them run)
  • The surface being run on - high grip / low grip

If you then bring in front tyre profile, low profile tends to have a squarer profile so will have (depending on tyre vertical camber) good contact in a straight line, but less contact on turns - good for higher grip (I've heard it said though that the shape also helps with initial "bite" on turning as the square edge digs in, but this is opposite to what I have said and what I think. Guess it needs something to "dig into"). Normal profile tyres give contact in a straight line as well as on turn so is better as the grip drops
For rears it can be influenced by the inserts - softer = more tyre "squish" so more contact, harder = less squish and contact

Usually on a slippery surface like dusty dirt, you need as much grip as possible so I'm told "silver" is used but never driven on dust so can't comment.

On a slippery but non dusty surface typically mini pins are used as they have more individual points of contact and normal profile fronts give even grip through turns. This may also explain why often "worn" pins work as the wear on the points will give a greater contact area.

On decent grip astro you then tend to move to LP fronts with less "tread grip" (so cut staggers or staggers) and pins or spikes on rear

I've heard it said that yellow mini spike rears give a good general level of grip and are more forgiving, although not always the absolute fastest tyre on any given track.
I also was talking to Richard Lowe a week or 2 ago who was saying similar about Ballistic Buggy Greens for outdoors. I know they tend to be seen as the wet weather tyre, but are apparently a decent all rounder outdoors - can't comment as I've not tried them in this context, also I'm probably not good enough driver to notice. (Do not use them indoors though as they are rubbish!! - I can notice that when I accidentally use them)

There are websites out there that can give more detail which I will see if I can find links to

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 18-05-2016
Mad Member

Here's a good one
http://site.petitrc.com/setup/tires/schumacher/

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 17-02-2017

Hi. Do you need to use a foam insert with the low profile slim cut stagger front tyre?
Old 17-02-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimny82 View Post
Hi. Do you need to use a foam insert with the low profile slim cut stagger front tyre?
No, you don't. Typically these tyres are mounted on narrow (or cut down) front wheels, with no insert.
Old 17-02-2017

I have found if using the Ballistic Mini spikes to run the Ballistic stagger fronts.

Schumacher Laydown
Schumacher Cat L1

Schumacher
RC Octane
Old 17-02-2017

Ok thanks guys. I didn't think I would need inserts in them, but just wanted to check with some more knowledgeable people like yourselves. Thanks.