Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 29-07-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Carole_MH
Default Trf201 slipping.

Hoping I'm in the right section.

Just having a bit play about with my 201 on the large grass area outside our house I noticed at times the car would stop and what I can only describe as 'slip', what I mean is the motor would spin as normal but not turn the wheels as if the motor had moved, lift off the throttle and let motor stop spinning and all okay again until next time I tried to put full throttle on and 'slip' again.

I know this may be an easy problem to solve to many of you but I've always preferred on road and this is my first real forage with a proper off road car, I've had them in the past but sold them on before really using them.

All help much appreciated.

Carole.
Old 29-07-2012

Slipper clutch? tighten the nut on the big spur gear.

or diff slip.
Old 30-07-2012
Mad Member

There are several posibilities:

1. Slipper clutch needs to be tightened.
2. Diff needs be to tightened (often a slipping diff makes a very distinct grinding/screeching noise).
3. Your motor pinion is loose (usually though the car doesn't move at all anymore with a loose pinion, but you never know).

Other things to check out would be if the universal shafts still have the pins in there (without tightening the grub screw well and using loctite, these can slowly make their way out, up to the point of being flung away by the rotation, ending up with drive on just one wheel... making the side with the missing pin spin a lot and the driven side not at all or only slightly. Also, is none of the above helps, check the condition of all the gears and see if the pins for attachment of the wheels are in the slots of the wheels.
Old 30-07-2012

Default Slip

Thanks for replies,

Pins etc all seem ok, when the car stops it sounds as if the motor as slipped and lost mesh on the spur and pinion, leave throttle alone and the car restarts okay. I have checked for loose motor and the motor is solidly in place and mesh is still fine. The spur is also okay, no teeth grinding or small stones etc in any of the teeth.

Will check the slipper clutch tonight, I take it Turning clockwise will tighten it.

Carole.
Old 30-07-2012

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104681
Sounds like this problem, not solved yet!!!
Old 30-07-2012

Default Apple

Nothing like what you describe apple, my motor, esc and sensor cable are all okay, my 201 doesn't take off like a rocket after drive returns. I get the slipping when trying to get power down after cornering or braking etc and it's find after I've released the throttle and let it rest then restart.

I am new to off road but have had on road cars for almost 30 years now, I must admit I was thinking either slipper clutch or diff slipping but wanted a more experienced opinion before I started adjusting either.
Old 30-07-2012

Hi

remove Gear Cover, Hold Both Rear Wheels Firmly. Try and spin the spur gear with your thumb. If the spur gear rotates and does not turn the slipper plates then tighten the slipper adjusting nut . If the slipper plates move with the spur gear then it's your diff thats loose

Kind regards

Steve