Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 07-02-2012

Smile What 4WD to Buy??? Help Help

Not sure where to start......there are too many people saying different things.
I just sold my brand spanking new DF-03MS and DF-03. And still sad that I let my DF-03MS go.

Here I am looking for any advice from you guys. The car I am looking is for bashing only....full dirt and a lot of dust and gravel. Maybe down the road I will race it. It should follow the following criteria (the higher is the bigger the priority for me is):
1. Shaft driven
2. Durability and less problematic due to bad design, bad material and bad build quality. (oil leaks, breaks to easily etc)
3. Parts and chassis potential
4. and....brand new

Not sure if I should buy over engineered original Tamiya Avante or TRF502X. And is TRF502X OK for newbie?

Any recommendation for me please.......I am open to other brand
Old 07-02-2012

You could buy my lazer zx5! Good condition and ready to go, potential for upgrades too should you wish,
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91999
Old 07-02-2012

FTX vantage...Fantastic for the money!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2012

to both, what so good about them?

Spare parts easy to find? not breaking too easily? No problems a ka less maintenance?
Old 08-02-2012

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Buying a TRF TRF502X to bash only is just...wrong!

A 4wd basher should be cheap to run and have a plastic tub chassis - an Ansmann or Team C 4wd, FTX Vantage or LRP Blast BX would be fine.

For pure bashing, I'd far rather have a 2wd truck. Lots of options there - Ansmann, FTX, LRP, HPI, Traxxas, ECX/Electrix....

Possibly the best bashers of all would be the Kyosho or Losi Short Course Buggies - effectively 1/8th scale 2wd buggies, based on short course truck platforms.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 08-02-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Colmo speaks true.
Old 09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmo View Post
Buying a TRF TRF502X to bash only is just...wrong!

A 4wd basher should be cheap to run and have a plastic tub chassis - an Ansmann or Team C 4wd, FTX Vantage or LRP Blast BX would be fine.

For pure bashing, I'd far rather have a 2wd truck. Lots of options there - Ansmann, FTX, LRP, HPI, Traxxas, ECX/Electrix....

Possibly the best bashers of all would be the Kyosho or Losi Short Course Buggies - effectively 1/8th scale 2wd buggies, based on short course truck platforms.
Thanks. Sorry I am a newbie here. Like said...there is a possibility for me to jump into racing world. But haven't decided yet. Back to your suggestion....why it is wrong? Is it purely wasting of money or maintenance issue?
Old 09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by riftan View Post
Thanks. Sorry I am a newbie here. Like said...there is a possibility for me to jump into racing world. But haven't decided yet. Back to your suggestion....why it is wrong? Is it purely wasting of money or maintenance issue?
Both. It's actually quite tough finding parts for the TRF cars - they're not well supported. It's a precision race vehicle, and won't enjoy the abuse you'd give it by bashing. You'll find screws work themselves loose, and the CF chassis will get scored by debris and abrasion, even if you use an undertray. It'll wear out.

Now, you could get a Tamiya DB01-R - it's a race capable vehicle, a fair bit cheaper than the TRFs, the belts are well protected, and it'll take some hammer. It'll still get worn out by bashing, mind.

For bashing in the UK, you'll find a lot of terrain is all a bit much for a 1/10th buggy (we don't have any nice dirt to run on - it's either grass, gravel or mud) - 1/8th buggies or 1/10th trucks just have that bit more capability on rough stuff.

It would probably work out cheaper to have separate vehicles for bash and race.

Photos:

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 10-02-2012

What about B44.1? Is it still no good in term of maintenance?

I don't like DB01 because it is belt. I prefer shaft. Any recommendation for good shaft driven which:
1. Has a lot of hops up parts available on market
2. Capable to be raced (chassis has good base)
3. Not breaking easily?

I don't really care about the price as I will keep this for very long time..... like my original childhood hotshot
Old 11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by riftan View Post
What about B44.1? Is it still no good in term of maintenance?

I don't like DB01 because it is belt. I prefer shaft. Any recommendation for good shaft driven which:
1. Has a lot of hops up parts available on market
2. Capable to be raced (chassis has good base)
3. Not breaking easily?

I don't really care about the price as I will keep this for very long time..... like my original childhood hotshot
Everything I said about bashing a TRF applies to a B44.1. Carbon fibre based race chassis will not fair well if bashed - they would require good maintenance to ensure things do not fail. They're strong - my very similar BJ4WE has taken some almighty hits (due to other drivers I hasten to add!) and come away relatively unscathed - but still needs checking after a few runs to check screws, linkages, bearings etc.

The Durango DEX410R is going relatively cheaply - I think MB Models had a deal for £175 including carbon shock towers? It's very raceable, not too expensive, has good UK parts support, but you will need to check it over, as it's still not really a basher. The alloy chassis will score up on stones - a vinyl wrap could help there.

Photos:

Current cars:
Old 11-02-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The Yokomo Bmax would be a good choice for you. Its a plastic chassis so its tough and doesn't mind a bit of scraping around, and its shaft drive too.
Go for the basic car and its cheap - same price as a DB01 but better spec. The newer Bmax II version is even better, but you'll need to import it from Japan as its not available in the UK. The plastic shocks aren't great, but otherwise its a tough little basher and an excellent entry level racer.
The car can then be upgraded all the way to Bmax II Worlds spec if you want but unless you are seriously into racing there is no need - the cheapest version makes the best basher anyway.
Only problem is that as mentioned above nobody is importing the latest version, and spares stock in the UK is diminishing. You can easily and cheaply source parts abroad, but some people are put off by that.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 11-02-2012

Any other suggestion anybody beside:
  • Durango DEX410R
  • Yokomo BMax
My comments on these 2 cars. Durango seems interesting car. But anybody can comment on parts sourcing (hopups etc)? are they easy to find? Especially in Australia (I live there).

As soon as I heard that Yokomo has a bit trouble of sourcing the parts, it puts me off. Unless in Aussie is easy? Any comment anybody?

Which brand has parts mostly available online (EBAY etc)?

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmo View Post
Everything I said about bashing a TRF applies to a B44.1. Carbon fibre based race chassis will not fair well if bashed - they would require good maintenance to ensure things do not fail. They're strong - my very similar BJ4WE has taken some almighty hits (due to other drivers I hasten to add!) and come away relatively unscathed - but still needs checking after a few runs to check screws, linkages, bearings etc.

The Durango DEX410R is going relatively cheaply - I think MB Models had a deal for £175 including carbon shock towers? It's very raceable, not too expensive, has good UK parts support, but you will need to check it over, as it's still not really a basher. The alloy chassis will score up on stones - a vinyl wrap could help there.
Can I assume that everything using Carbon Fibre chassis requires this kind of maintenances? Or only for these particular cars? I won't mind about the checking as I always clean up my hotshot every outing in the old days.

Comparing DEX410 and RC10B44.1 and TRF502X from:
* Reliability
* Parts sourcing
* Potential
Would you be able to rank them on each point aboves? For example:
* Reliability (durability): RC10B44.1, TRF502X, DEX410
* Parts sourcing (online): DEX410, TRC10B44.1, RF502X
* Potential: etc etc etc
(from best to worst in order)

Please Anybody are welcome
Old 11-02-2012

DB02 Leonis will be released soon. Would it be good candidate? Or parts sourcing of tamiya is terrible?
I heard this car will share some parts with TRF502X
Old 12-02-2012

If you live in OZ you can buy Durango direct from the importer (venom)
they also have most parts. prices are usaully 1 cent more than what you pay from Amain,but much cheaper postage
Old 12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
If you live in OZ you can buy Durango direct from the importer (venom)
they also have most parts. prices are usaully 1 cent more than what you pay from Amain,but much cheaper postage
Woowwww......... thanks heaps man!!!

For everybody, I am still waiting your inputs please for the following comment

Comparing DEX410 and RC10B44.1 and TRF502X from:
* Reliability
* Parts sourcing
* Potential
Would you be able to rank them on each point aboves? For example:
* Reliability (durability): RC10B44.1, TRF502X, DEX410
* Parts sourcing (online): DEX410, TRC10B44.1, RF502X
* Potential: etc etc etc
(from best to worst in order)
Old 12-02-2012
Mad Member

If you want a cheap new Car, we have just sent out some Lazer FS (the first version)to few shops at a bargain price.

I am not sure exactly but i guess price could be around £230.00

Drop me a pm and will let you know shops that have got stock!

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 12-02-2012

Most of what I said was under the presumption you were UK based (Oople is UK-centric, though membership is worldwide). Therefore, you can disregard most of my information.

You'd need to speak to an Aussie about relative support and availability there.

Photos:

Current cars: