Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 22-10-2011

Default Any problems with Futaba 3GR 2.4GHz

Hi,

I'm tyring to get myself a reliable TX RX combo, but finding it hard to get any info (not including Matty and Dave)

I've had a 3GR in the past and had black out problems, but that was about 2 1/2 years ago.

Has anybody out there in RC racing land had any problems at all with the Futaba 3GR 2.4GHz set ?

Please reply, as I'm stuck and I don't want to be smashing up any more cars with bad radios. I've had the worst luck in the world so far with land bassed 2.4 sets

Thanks.
Old 22-10-2011

Send a message via MSN to Chris Green

Hi mate,

I had a 3GR for about 18 months, when they first came out.

Mine worked faultlessly. At the time, the cost of a spare receiver was very high (£70 iirc), but I understand there are cheaper alternatives available).

They are quite plasticy, especially compared to a top end set (3VCS, or KO 3 etc).

If I had £190 available, I'd be looking to buy a 2nd handd 3VCS to be honest, based on build quality alone.

Do you currently have the etronix set with a black receiver, or the later blue version?
Old 22-10-2011

Hi,

I have the blue one. I thought this one was the good one? A club mate, I've just found out, has also had problems with the Etronics system.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 22-10-2011
Mad Member

I've known a few people to have problems with that system. My advise would be buy the best TX you can afford even if it means buying second hand. It the most important bit of Rc kit you'll own.

If a few friends have a couple of different tx's, ask if you can pick them up and have a feel. You want to go for a TX that feels good to hold, and is reliable. Any of the top brands are good.
Old 22-10-2011

Thumbs up

Rob,

I also had the blue etronix set and had 8 months trouble free , then it started playing up at calidcot and put my losi into the wall at the end of a straight luckily it's a strong car!!
I got a Futaba 3GR 2.4 and its been 100% solid and the car responds quicker i'd recommend it for the sub £150 price bracket

cheers

dave
Old 22-10-2011

If you're happy to consider 40mhz, I would say the Ko esprit 2 type r is by far the best radio I've owned.. Great feel, 100% reliable. (I've had the esprit 2, 3 and currently have a 3vcs)

The older ko's in my opinion were much better build quality than the esprit 3..

I've had and seen many people with binding issues at some point with 2.4 sets... Normally just as you switch on to chuck your car down on the line. The type r can be brought cheap, and very few people now are on 40mhz..

Receivers will also be cheap to pick up..
Old 22-10-2011

Send a message via MSN to Chris Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKOR33 View Post
Rob,

I also had the blue etronix set and had 8 months trouble free , then it started playing up at calidcot and put my losi into the wall at the end of a straight luckily it's a strong car!!
I got a Futaba 3GR 2.4 and its been 100% solid and the car responds quicker i'd recommend it for the sub £150 price bracket

cheers

dave
I'm getting a bit concerned now. I've recently bought an Etronix system.

To be honest, I assumed that if the radio system failed, the failsafe built into the speedo would cut power to the motor? Saying that, do speedo's even have failsafes built in?

Is it possible to get a 3GR for £150? the ones I've seen are £190+
Old 22-10-2011

Thanks for the replies guys

I've had no luck in finding a 3GR with RX for a low price. JE Spares seem to be the cheapest I can find at £198.99. It was the same a few years ago when I bought a set. Futaba seem to hold their price.

It looks like I'm going to have to spend big money on a TX set, but the Etronics has to go for sure.

"Can I have some money Mr Bank Manager?"
Old 22-10-2011
Mad Member

A 3GR 40MHz is half that price...
Old 22-10-2011

I've got it in my head for a 2.4
Old 22-10-2011
Mad Member

40mhz is awesome, and hardly anyone uses it so you never get frequency clashes any more. If you get a futaba or KO you can always spektrum it at a later date when funds allow.
Old 22-10-2011
Super Moderator

Have you tried a power cap with the etronix? i was having awful trouble with mine till someone suggested i put a power cap on the receiver, since then it has been faultless, i know the other makes are much better but for a £4.50 fix it is worth a try
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4ghz-vol...item3364c01018
Old 22-10-2011

Hi,

A power cap, I did not know such an item exsisted. Reading that Ebay discription, it seems it stops low voltage shut down.

My problem is the the car and TX are fully charged, I put the car on the grid, walk to the rosterum, flick the stearing, and from time to time the strearing goes. Or, in a race on fully charged batterys I loose the RC for a split second or longer.

So basically, I don't think it's a voltage drop thing. But I know nothing of the power cap. If the power cap helps in keeping the link when the batterys are all fully charged then maybe it will stop my problem

It would be great if £4.50 will solve it. My daughter also has the same RC, so I can see what ever fix mine needs, is also going to have to be done on her's, even if that's a new £350 RC set She loves her racing, so it will have to be done.
Old 22-10-2011

The power cap is to assist the BEC circuitry of your speed controller, nothing to do with the charge state of your transmitter batteries or race packs.. It is definately worth a go. Some of the newer high torque/ speed servos can be pretty power hungry and the BEC just isn't providing enough current..
Old 22-10-2011

I see, it's looking hopeful

Just to give a little more info.

I'm running a Tekin RS PRO ESC and that has a 'cappy' thing soldered across the + -.

Is that the same thing as the cap that would be pluged into the RX? My servo is a Savox 1251 in a 2WD.

Could I still get a black out/BEC low voltage even when the car is sat still ready for a race, as I have lost my stearing when going nowhere?

Would a cap on the ESC and RX be needed?
Old 22-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Rob, what's on your speedo isn't the same as what they're talking about.
I run the power caps on a couple of my cars (KO with spektrum) I'll pull one off one of my cars so you can try it next week if you want
Old 22-10-2011

It doesn't sound that hopeful if it happening while the car is sat there and supposed to be doing nothing.. If you are operating the servo, then possibly.

The power cap discussed here that plugs in to the receiver is to assist the power supply to the receiver when subjected to higher current draws from the servo.

The power cap on the speed controller is required, but it is not for the same purpose.

Borrowing peetbee's is ideal as offered above.. Then you'll know for sure..
Old 22-10-2011

THANK YOU GUYS

I'll take you up on that offer Pete, although I have no problem buying two from the Ebay link above (Alisha will need one I expect).

Fingers crossed that will solve the problem. Don't want another B44.1 wall hitting situation again, or worse
Old 22-10-2011

For a little more substance to what has been said, have your self a read of this thread.. Very similar.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...highlight=1251
Old 24-02-2012

i was running e-tronix 2.4ghz in my 1/8th rally cross and had no problems with the system, as soon as i transfered it into my electric buggy which is running brushless and a high torque steering servo suddenly for no reason would go into fail safe, tried all of the usual stuff about redirecting the aerial lead ( initial thought was interference), pluged in a power cap and all was solved, so a power cap is the way to go