Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 15-11-2007

Default front diff's

hello,

can you please tell me what the difference in terms of handling and driving characteristics it is between running a front:

diff
spool
one way

on a tc indoors on carpet on vtec 27 tyres? Go on, pretty please.
Old 15-11-2007

I always use a oneway on carpet it gives much better steering into the corner and better exit too. A spool is good if running brushless and the track is very open but I find it too agressive and it wears driveshafts too much. A diff is just too safe and you cannot carry corner speed as much.
Old 10-12-2007

if the the track is small tight and twisty a front diff is best, spool and one ways just upset the back end of the car to much, tbh i prefer a diff on big open tracks aswell, they just roll in to the corners a lot better. just make sure the front diff is a little bit tighter than the rear, as this helps it pull out of the corners quicker.
hth
Old 13-12-2007
Lee-Mag

use a 1 way everywhere!! unless there is a hairpin at the end of a long straight, then use a spool, 1 ways do not upset the car if it is driven properly, and it is impossible for a spool to upset the rear, if anything the rear will feel more planted with a spool.
Old 15-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by losidan View Post
hello,

can you please tell me what the difference in terms of handling and driving characteristics it is between running a front:

diff
spool
one way

on a tc indoors on carpet on vtec 27 tyres? Go on, pretty please.

Hello Dan

One Way - More steering into the corner, and more out. No brakes and can be harder to drive

Spool - Less steering into a corner compared to a One Way, same steering out. You get brakes and its very easy to drive.

Diff - Less steering than a One Way into a corner, and has the potential to give more steering into a corner than a Spool (if the tightness is right). Although the diff has less steering out of a corner and is generally a lot slower unless you race on foams.

Most of the top racers use a Spool everywhere as it provides a consistent car for 5min racing and it's easy to drive. They set the car up with more entry steering so it feels similar to a one way although you have brakes.

Hope this helps

Jonny