Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bedfordshire RC Model Car Club

Old 24-04-2010

Default Can someone help me please...

Please help if anyone can as I’m now pulling my hair out if that’s possible with what I have left!!!

I recently purchased a Xray 1:18th scale truck and a lovely little model it is too. I set it up with a Losi Xcelorin Brushless ESC and motor and installed a Futaba 2.4GHz Rx to match the currently Tx I run with my Touring Car (TC) and then added a Savox servo and FTX Vortex lipo to power it all, so far so good.

I ran the car but found that the throttle was going on/off and leaving the car still on the track, or the steering would be fully locked left or right and nothing I could do on the Tx would solve it until I stood directly over the car, not the best of starts.
One club member said that the Losi were crap ESC so I installed a Reedy one instead and the same problem is still there. I then swapped out the Rx with the one I know works fine in my TC and again same problem.

I’ve never ever had a problem with a 1:10th car like this in the 30 odd years I have been racing and I simply am lost as to what is going on.

I have emailed Losi – a lot of use they are!!! Never replied to my emails. I have spoken to someone at Ripmax to see if it was something to do with the Tx/Rx but no luck there, but it all works OK in my TC so I can’t see it being the Tx/Rx.

I was then told that maybe I should try a voltage protector plugged into the Rx, got one, plugged it in and once again same problem with car stuttering and steering locking fully left or right!

I’m now lost as to what could be the problem, anyone else had a problem or got a solution?

Pics for ref:

Please note that the wiring is only loose in pics above as I've been taking stuff off and back on the car, normally I tie everything up
Old 24-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Scott, do you have another servo you could plug in to see if you can rule that out??

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 25-04-2010

Smile

With your steering locking to one side (the right?), it sounds like your experiencing a total loss of power. Assuming you've checked your wiring is all good, does the esc have a thermal cutoff? This could mean it just stops dead if it gets too hot, the Novak XRS does this, but doesn't cut off all power (ie it only cuts power to the motor).

I'd bet that's it's more likely to be your radio gear in this instance. Check there's not cuts in the receiver wire, and if there is, replace the whole of the wire, but be carefull as receivers can be very delicate, and you have to use the right wire for the right receiver, 27meg wire for 27meg receiver, 40meg wire for 40meg receivers etc.
Old 25-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldmodels View Post
With your steering locking to one side (the right?), it sounds like your experiencing a total loss of power. Assuming you've checked your wiring is all good, does the esc have a thermal cutoff? This could mean it just stops dead if it gets too hot, the Novak XRS does this, but doesn't cut off all power (ie it only cuts power to the motor).

I'd bet that's it's more likely to be your radio gear in this instance. Check there's not cuts in the receiver wire, and if there is, replace the whole of the wire, but be carefull as receivers can be very delicate, and you have to use the right wire for the right receiver, 27meg wire for 27meg receiver, 40meg wire for 40meg receivers etc.
I've put the radio gear into my TC and it works fine so it can't be that and I've put the Rx from my TC into this model and it still does the same thing. All wiring is in perfect condition too.
Old 25-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
Scott, do you have another servo you could plug in to see if you can rule that out??
That's one thing I have not tried yet, so I'll see if that makes a difference. I was also going to experiment with running the car with my larger LiPo to see if there is anything wring with the power from my smaller LiPo.