Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 31-10-2010
Mad Member

Default Durga ??

WHat about the DB01, the Durga-model? I mean, I recall this model being presented as a low cost 4WD buggy, with capability to race for a novice ...

Is it still being raced? I checked local shops and the model has even desappeared from their shoplist.
I also noticed now that I don't recall Tamiya bringing out much improvement kits, parts, as they do for other racing models.
My son's DF02 Rising storm is so beaten up that I rather buy him a new car .. and i was thinking about the Durga.
But is it still "alive" or is a buggy that has proven not being as race-ready as it was intended to be?
Old 31-10-2010

There's lots of hop-ups for the db-01.
But it's smarter to just buy the db-01r which has most of them installed already.
The downside is that it doesn't come with a body/wing or tires and it's almost as expensive as a B44.
Old 31-10-2010

The DB01's are definitely race-able. I recently got one second hand for a play indoors over winter. I had my first race today at ardent and it was not outclassed at all. I qualified about 30th which I was happy with as it is very different to my usual nitro's. There was still a lot to come from it and I was changing small things each round and was improving vastly.
Although mine has quite a few hopups I feel that it is well up to mixing it with more expensive brands.
Think it is worth getting the DB01R unless you can get a second hand one with some hopups
Old 31-10-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

if you're going to get one new then start with the db01r, but check the price of b44, etc as you may be surprised how they compare, especially if dealers start offloading the B44 before the B44.1 comes along
Old 31-10-2010
Mad Member

I run a DB01 alongside my 501x and on some tracks the DB01 is faster. Only downside is thats there's a few hundred £ in the car so its not any cheaper than a 501 or even a 511 so its not really a sensible route. But yes, the car is more than able to mix with the other kits.

Clown
Old 31-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
I run a DB01 alongside my 501x and on some tracks the DB01 is faster. Only downside is thats there's a few hundred £ in the car so its not any cheaper than a 501 or even a 511 so its not really a sensible route. But yes, the car is more than able to mix with the other kits.

2 OLD NAILS there Mark!
Old 31-10-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

If it is for your boy, buy the DB-01, slipper, front CVD's (Tamiya) and 3Racing suspension blocks, be cheap as chips until you start putting decent power through it.
Old 31-10-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilkinson7 View Post
2 OLD NAILS there Mark!

Here we go

Clown
Old 31-10-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I think mine has come in pretty cheap, not upgraded much really, rear outdrives, driveshafts, slipper and shocks, shop wisely and it is much cheaper than a TRF
Old 31-10-2010
Mad Member

thx guys,
that 's really good info there.
Also the idea of a cheaper car for my son, ... which can be pimped up, tuned up later on ... IF needed.
But as he runs a very low motor ATM there is no real need.
Other then that ... I'm still looking for any shop selling the DB01 or the DB01r
... and can ship fast as we will be needing a 4WD car for nov, 14th.

Also, can someone point me out to a link/more info on teh difference between the DB01 and the DB01r? I'm off goodling it now, but all info is appreciated.
And, .. what seems to B the difference between the Durga and the Baldr? Haven't figured that out yet neither
Old 01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowie View Post
thx guys,
that 's really good info there.
Also the idea of a cheaper car for my son, ... which can be pimped up, tuned up later on ... IF needed.
But as he runs a very low motor ATM there is no real need.
Other then that ... I'm still looking for any shop selling the DB01 or the DB01r
... and can ship fast as we will be needing a 4WD car for nov, 14th.

Also, can someone point me out to a link/more info on teh difference between the DB01 and the DB01r? I'm off goodling it now, but all info is appreciated.
And, .. what seems to B the difference between the Durga and the Baldr? Haven't figured that out yet neither
Here's what the DB01R has compared to DB01:

54142 DB01 High-Traction Lower Arm (Rear)
54141 DB01 High-Traction Lower Arm (Front)
54140 DB01 Reinforced Drive Belt - 369mm
54040 DB01 Motor Heat Sink
54039 DB01 Aluminum Suspension Block
54038 DB01 Aluminium Suspension mount (Rear)
54037 DB01 Aluminium Suspension Mount (front)
54036 Carbon Reinforced - M-parts (Damper Stay)
54028 TRF Buggy Dampers
54018 DB01 Slipper Clutch Set
54016 DB01 Assembly Universal Shaft - Rear
54015 DB01 Assembly Universal Shaft - Front
50994 5mm Suspension ball
*main chassis specific to DB01R

And it is very much worth the cost over DB01.

The difference between DB01 Durga and DB01 Baldre is the body, stickers and possibly the colour of the wheels. Nothing else. In my opinion the Baldre body is both better looking and better in terms of keeping the dirt out, too. But on the other hand, I would not consider it a deal breaker wether the store only had Durga in stock.
Old 01-11-2010

DURGA

http://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index...1-Chassis-1-10

BALDRE

http://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index...1-Chassis-1-10

DB01R

http://www.modellbau-seidel.de/index...hne-Karosserie-

It´s a German Shop that has all the cars in stock. They ship so ast that i believe you can have the car at home before the 14th.
They have a great service and i used them many times before.
I have a Db01R and must say it is the much cheaper car depending on what Hop Ups you get.
Old 01-11-2010
Mad Member

thx!!
I understood that the DB01R comes without rims, tyres, body? So if I choose to buy the R, I will still have to find these separatly.

Any info on what body's will suit this car? Or should I choose for the Baldr- or Durga-body for any particular reason?
(That german site seems to have the Durga-body in stock also )

Also, I read in other posts that one can use other brand rims ... but not 100% fitting??
Old 01-11-2010
Mad Member

did some checking and it seems that the DB01R still misses the alu diff-outdrives? Or am i wrong?
Might be an important hop-up.
Old 01-11-2010

Quote:
thx!!
I understood that the DB01R comes without rims, tyres, body? So if I choose to buy the R, I will still have to find these separatly.

Any info on what body's will suit this car? Or should I choose for the Baldr- or Durga-body for any particular reason?
(That german site seems to have the Durga-body in stock also )

Also, I read in other posts that one can use other brand rims ... but not 100% fitting??
Correct, not all similar rims fit perfectly. The hex is too deep in many of them. But there is nothing wrong with the Tamiya rims, so you can just use them

Baldre body has the best fit on the chassis (keeps most of the dirt out). With Durga body there are openings that might need to be filled with something (at least the standard Durga kit comes with material for this).

Even if you do need to find the tires/rims/body/wing (wing is included with the Baldre body kit, but not Durga, though), it is still worth it to buy the R.
Old 01-11-2010

Quote:
did some checking and it seems that the DB01R still misses the alu diff-outdrives? Or am i wrong?
Might be an important hop-up.
No alu outdrives, but I would recommend the 501/511 steel outdrives instead anyway over alu outdrives.

The DB01R outdrives work ok, but the 501/511 ones are of course better. Or you could get a gear diff in there and forget about the outdrives for now
Old 01-11-2010
Mad Member

is there a gear diff that will fit this car??
That sounds like a very interesting idea.
Old 01-11-2010
Mad Member

There is one but it's done to the same scale as my mid motor and is very expensive. Unfortunately Spec-R have not seen fit to make one for the TA05 (which would most likely fit).
Old 01-11-2010

Lowie, i´d recommend to buy the DB01R and the Baldre Bodyset plus wheels from the German site. They have the yellow, black and white wheels in stock as well as the car and Baldre Bodyset.
The Outdrives are nice to have and a Must Have if you have a hot motor. I have them on my DB01R, part number is 51286. Modellbau Seidel hasn´t got them in stock i´m afraid as well as any other shop i know, these seem to be pretty rare. RC Champ in Japan can order them for you from Tamiya for sure as i bought some from them some weeks ago.
If you don´t want to go that way just buy the 3 Racing ones, but they are out of aluminium and won´t last as long as the Tamiya steel ones but will still do the job.
Old 01-11-2010

If you're not going to put a lot of power in it, i wouldn't get the steel outdrives yet.
a Mate runs the db-01R with the original outdrives on our clay track with a 6.5 and he hasn't had any issues so far.
Carpet would probably be a different story.

I also order a lot of stuff at Seidel as no lhs stock TRF parts(or db-01 parts for that matter).
I don't know how fast he delivers to the UK but to NL it's between 3-4 days usually.
*I just noticed you're from belgium so that should be 3-4 days.

PS.

Get black wheels. White and yellow are outdated.