Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Atomic Carbon

Old 08-06-2011

Default 4 geared gearbox for CR2

I've been in touch with a guy who can make some 4 geared gearbox's for the CR2. He's sounding a wee bit cold about the idea of making some as it takes so long to set the machine up. So I'm trying to drum up some interest to see if there are any other CR2 drivers that would be interested at having one made?? I already know of about 6 but the more the better - if there's lots then he'll have no choice but to give into demand!

Good times, Jon! (aka Mr Hinckley, ha ha)
Old 08-06-2011

I know PSI makes them but things aren't looking like the new owner will sell them any time soon I'm sure there will be interest for sure on here though.
Old 08-06-2011

Yeah, I have pretty much given up with PSI Racing... I tried contacting them but got fed up of wasting my time!

Fingers crossed this new guy will service demand and provide all of us CR2 drivers with a much needed part.

Jon
Old 08-06-2011

Jon,
Where do I put my name down for getting on the list for the 4gearbox trannys....

Mark
Old 08-06-2011

Id have a couple let me on how much and what to pay
Old 09-06-2011

Send a message via MSN to ravens

If posting overseas(Portugal) is available I will be interested in a couple of them.
Old 13-06-2011

found an engineer who will make them but wants one to copy. He is based in kings bromley in lichfield. He helped me make some bits for my mid motor xxx today and they are spot on.
Old 14-06-2011

Hi Jon - i'm Dan that was racing at Hinckley a couple of weeks ago with the PSI equipped CR2 (hoping to make it this Sat to is the weather is decent)

I still have the original 4 gear casing that came with my car... was one of the original ones made by a guy here in the UK (I think he's on this forum too) As it was one of the first made it is a bit rough finish-wise, you are more than welcome to borrow it & send it off to a machine shop for copying.... the only problem with it that the previous owner of my car, filed down the casing where the two front screws through the chassis fit.... meaning these screws cannot be fitted causing the gearbox to twist. You could explain this part the your machinist I guess?

I'll bring it with me on Sat if you are going & you can have a look at it
Old 14-06-2011

hinkley not on saturday but is back on the saturday after. They do 3 on and 1 off to give the track a break. Have you still got my number as i have something that may interest you derby dan
Old 14-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by adey View Post
hinkley not on saturday but is back on the saturday after. They do 3 on and 1 off to give the track a break. Have you still got my number as i have something that may interest you derby dan
Hi Adey... thanks for the heads up on the meeting not being on, on Saturday, bit gutted really as getting a free weekend day is quite rare these days & I would have been able to come along this Sat

Yes I got your message - sorry I didn't reply If its regarding the Meteor Article, CAT3K sent me his copy of the magazine so I was able to scan it
Old 14-06-2011

i would of gave you my copy. Have you seen my mid losi. Its in the losi forums under mid motor xxx. Have a look.
Old 15-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by adey View Post
i would of gave you my copy. Have you seen my mid losi. Its in the losi forums under mid motor xxx. Have a look.
Ah... nevermind, thank you for the thought.

Just checked out your thread on your mid motored XXX - looks real neat, (as your conversions always are ) I'm not suprised that it feels quick - being that the layout is basically the same as my CR2... which i'm really enjoying driving on my return to off road buggy racing, after a ten year gap from the class (just been racing TC's)
Old 15-06-2011

i think a b4 would convert in the same way aswell. I can imagine you do like your cr2. I just hope that the spares for the losi xxx cr dont get any harder to get.
Old 15-06-2011

Heard back from the guy today and he's predicting costs of £40 per gearbox - You may think that this is costly but the amount of machining involved is unbelievable.

The finished item looks amazing and its a must have if you're serious about your CR2 - plus the PSI racing 4 geared gearbox's that were made in the past are incredibly rare and incredibly difficult to come by.

Also bear in mind that the Cougar alloy gearbox's will set you back £60 so I'm sure you'll appreciate that £40 is a bargain!

The person in question has seen this forum and all of its posts so keep your feedback coming so that he can gage demand and make enough of them... it would be a great shame if you missed out.

Thanks, Jon!
Old 15-06-2011

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will these be alloy gearboxes too then? - I was under the impression that you were talking about the delrin type ones that PSI made... But at that price, alloy sounds good. I'm still interested. Let me know if you need a pm or what ever...

Mark
Old 15-06-2011

hi jon. If you mean 40 quid for the gearbox you showed me sunday in the pic then thats fine for me. It did look very good so i am certian they will sell. Do you think he will make them or does he need even more interest than there is now.
Old 15-06-2011

Any pics you can post on here?
Old 15-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_UpGrade View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will these be alloy gearboxes too then? - I was under the impression that you were talking about the delrin type ones that PSI made... But at that price, alloy sounds good. I'm still interested. Let me know if you need a pm or what ever...

Mark
No they are not alloy
Old 15-06-2011

Ok, sorry my misunderstanding then... Would still very much like to see pics of it and know what its made from? - Am asking because I had one of the PSI boxes and it wasn't that well made (of cheese) and lunched itself by not having the output shaft hole straight...

Cheers,

Mark
Old 15-06-2011

I have some pics of the gearbox that I believe was made previously, but I want confirmation from him that this is definitely what the finished product will look like... As soon as he comes back to me I'll post the pics.

I'm hoping it is as it looks great - very very well made.

Jon.