Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

View Poll Results: abandon the electric board homologation list?
yes 97 43.89%
no 115 52.04%
abstain 9 4.07%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2014
Mad Member

"+1"
Old 08-11-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beale View Post
It was 1 up man ship that made me give up racing 20 years ago for the fact that a paper boys salary wouldn't cut it, not blowing myself up but at 10 years old was regularly on the podium up to winning An A final at 16, but sadly My cells just wouldn't manage a 5 minute heat on a 14x2 in 4wd so that was that, anyway a mate got me back into it and I praise the work of the BRCA, and wish everyone could just focus this on helping people into racing rather than deterring just to promote some slightly cheaper lipo's
How does lowering the cost put people off?!
Old 08-11-2014
Mad Member

It doesn't. Avoiding your local model shop for the sake of a few quid means that people do not see the sport easily and we get less people into clubs and racing. See the post from Roger M on the other thread for the full reasoning - it's well said.

I really don't buy this argument that cost is everything to everyone. Anywhere you look (cars, hi-fi, 'phones, food, clothes, fuel, etc.) people do not buy the cheapest. They sue their obey where their priorities are, otherwise everyone would be in Lidl and Aldi, running around in Dacias, buying their fuel at supermarkets, etc.

If this is all about getting people to Regionals, and low cost is the key, why would people want to spend more money going to a Regional just because they saved a tenner on their cell? It seems the argument is that people would spend £20 on fuel to get to a meeting if only they could save £10 on a battery. Why not stay at the club with your cheaper battery and not spend anything on the fuel?

Nice to see that although the posts seem to against the lists in the main, the vote is for the lists.
Old 08-11-2014

Christ if it's too expensive, go race mardave bangers. I'm sick of cheap people buying cheap batteries from china, don't be a tight bas**** and take pride in you hobby! support the shops or it'll all go away from lack of new people!

Combine our brca list with the efra and roar list yes

Compositekit.co.uk
Trishbits
Old 08-11-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

I wonder how many on here that want cheap lipos, went out and bought the latest iphone?
Old 08-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
I wonder how many on here that want cheap lipos, went out and bought the latest iphone?
128Gb Iphone 6+ unlocked to all networks.... the price? Free
Wish I could get LiPos that cheap
Old 08-11-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Not really a good comparison there Mark. After all its only on a site like this that people would consider paying £25 let alone £90 for a battery for a toy car. In fact, most people would be horrified at the amount of money we spend on this hobby - easily enough for a real car.

In contrast spending big money on the latest iPhone is considered socially normal.

I actually think this sums up the whole thread nicely. Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. For some here the value of close regulation, reputable brands and supporting UK shops is worth paying a little extra, for others is isn't.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 09-11-2014

I haven't posted on this thread or the other one for a few days because, despite the fact my views on the issues raised have NOT changed, i've done some thinking and decided I didn't like where it was taking me as an individual.

Anyone who looks back through my posts on this site will see that getting into online slanging matches isn't really my style and although I felt (and still feel) strongly that there are figures within the hobby industry who are not doing all they could do to make racing more affordable, the fact remains it's not very constructive to call people jobsworths and suggest they go and live in North Korea so Mark Christopher and Neil Skull, i'm sorry I spoke to you like that.

That's all I wanted to say, I think this got a little out of hand and I hope we can all move on and enjoy our racing.

Alex Guiver.

Last edited by HOTSHOT III; 09-11-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-11-2014

the whole of the BRCA are volunteers and do a fantastic and unappreciated for the most part job.
homologation batteries, motors and blinky speedo's are part of the rules which are needed to race, but batteries are only really enforced at regionals and nationals, so if you want to race with cheaper non homolgated club racing is the place.

as a by line this thread feels like when MyLaps brought out RC4 and all the MRT user's cried out in unison
Old 09-11-2014

Heres the question then, im not sure on the answer. If i was to submit so called cheap cells to the BRCA could i get them approved, or does it need to be the importer? I only ask this as i deal with 3 of the lipo manufacturer's through my day job, you would all be more upset if you know how much you can get them for!!!
So the paperwork for most lipo's is freely available as a Material and product Hazard Data Sheet, so if this is the paperwork that is required then that ones thing ticked. If this is for insurance purposes in that the importer is liable should an injury occur then this is completely different as it then becomes probable that company law, and product liability law comes into force, in that case a massive Pandora's box is about to be opened, as most clubs dont run to the EB list, in which case im not sure how the insurance works.

Just for the record im all for the list (just need to get inot perspective what the problem is here) and really appreciate the work the BRCA do.

Cheers

Rich

Last edited by Teaboy; 09-11-2014 at 08:12 AM. Reason: being crap at spelling
Old 09-11-2014
Mad Member

Everyone wants to get the batteries approved, but to save the confusion here's the relevant reasons why individual's can't submit them...

"It is recommended that batteries submitted for approval should originate from the original cell manufacturer or the OEM supplier whose name or trade-mark is depicted on the battery label/heat shrink."

9. Approval does not engage the BRCA towards any guarantees or responsibilities. The submitter will defend, indemnify and hold the BRCA harmless from and against any and all liabilities, damages, losses, claims, fines, penalties, assessments, demands, actions, suits and judgments, including all fees, costs and expenses incidental thereto, that may be charged to, asserted against or incurred by the BRCA by reason of any loss, damage or injury of any kind or nature whatsoever in any manner or to any extent resulting from or arising out of the articles or services approved by the BRCA for use during BRCA events except to the extent resulting solely and directly from the BRCA’s gross negligence or wilful misconduct.
10. The BRCA require that a copy of this document is returned when batteries are submitted, signed by an authorised representative of the manufacturer (or OEM supplier) showing agreement to the procedures and rules detailed. (Disclaimer on page 3)."

If, as an individual, you can register a UK company and take on the necessary risks then you could do it. Otherwise, it will need a company already set up with public and product liability insurance, and on some way 'related' to the cells being approved, to be able to cover the requirements. HTH
Old 09-11-2014
Mad Member

Here's the reason we should make sure local shops stay in business; great post...

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...158#post885158

As someone said above, spending £800+ on a product that can be bought for £500 and thinking you get it for free (iPhone 6) is socially acceptable, but spending another £20 on a battery to help model shops be there for guys like Whites to get into the hobby are not. That makes no sense to me at all...
Old 09-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
If this is all about getting people to Regionals, and low cost is the key, why would people want to spend more money going to a Regional just because they saved a tenner on their cell? It seems the argument is that people would spend £20 on fuel to get to a meeting if only they could save £10 on a battery. Why not stay at the club with your cheaper battery and not spend anything on the fuel?
Unfortunately, not ALL model shops are good, fortunately my local one has stopped selling RC as the people there had no idea with regard to racing, BRCA or lists.

As for regionals, most get into it as cheap as possible initially (as running a club, if you start talking about lists etc, eyes glaze over and they no longer are interested), so the barrier then becomes wanting to do their clubs regional but not wanting to because stupidly their club gear isn't good enough (not due to performance either). Which is my issue with the EB list, not the list in general, just the level it is applied to, as at regional we don't have to have scrutineering, referee's etc.
Old 09-11-2014

lets all run what we want then someone will bring out a reciever with a gyro to keep it all under control oh wait spektrum has this hobby is grown men playing with toys trying to buy an advantage if you cant win by driving well new super electrics wont help you cant buy skill
Old 09-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenbutkrap View Post
lets all run what we want then someone will bring out a reciever with a gyro to keep it all under control oh wait spektrum has this hobby is grown men playing with toys trying to buy an advantage if you cant win by driving well new super electrics wont help you cant buy skill
That is already banned, that tech was banned in 1993 (or 91, when the Worlds were in Basildon).
Old 09-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTSHOT III View Post
I haven't posted on this thread or the other one for a few days because, despite the fact my views on the issues raised have NOT changed, i've done some thinking and decided I didn't like where it was taking me as an individual.

Anyone who looks back through my posts on this site will see that getting into online slanging matches isn't really my style and although I felt (and still feel) strongly that there are figures within the hobby industry who are not doing all they could do to make racing more affordable, the fact remains it's not very constructive to call people jobsworths and suggest they go and live in North Korea so Mark Christopher and Neil Skull, i'm sorry I spoke to you like that.

That's all I wanted to say, I think this got a little out of hand and I hope we can all move on and enjoy our racing.

Alex Guiver.
no offence was taken at the time, I have very broad shoulders ;-)
Old 09-11-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Unfortunately, not ALL model shops are good, fortunately my local one has stopped selling RC as the people there had no idea with regard to racing, BRCA or lists.

As for regionals, most get into it as cheap as possible initially (as running a club, if you start talking about lists etc, eyes glaze over and they no longer are interested), so the barrier then becomes wanting to do their clubs regional but not wanting to because stupidly their club gear isn't good enough (not due to performance either). Which is my issue with the EB list, not the list in general, just the level it is applied to, as at regional we don't have to have scrutineering, referee's etc.
That is my issue also. Keep the list for the nationals and international events by all means. But for everyone else it is totally unnecessary.
Old 09-11-2014

There's plenty more to rc car racing than a few regionals, so I'll stick to the racing where I'm allowed.
Old 09-11-2014

did any one point out the list is here, it stays for 2015?

poll pointless, moaning, pointless!
Old 09-11-2014

I'm sure it's been pointed out a million times the opportunity was missed this time.