Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 05-07-2010
Mad Member

So do you guys think a centre diff and slipper unit would be a good idea?

In that case would the slipper action need to be totally independent of the diff action? I can easily design a centre diff on which the rear slipper action can be set independently from the diff action, but the front would still depend on the diff action. To have both totally independent, I don't think is possible with the FS as it is. We could use the two colours slipper pads to change the slipper/diff bias however.

Now for the big question: if I made such a unit and decided to sell them, how many of you would be interested in buying one? The quality would be pretty similar to that of the RB5 MCS.
Old 05-07-2010

Back in the 1990's I used to race an original Kyosho Lazer ZX which came with a centre ball differential built into the spur gear. It was terrible - the power is directed via path of lowest resistance to the wheel with the least grip, meaning in extremes it would only drive 1 front wheel. It had poor acceleration so the first thing most racers did was remove it and fit a WASP one piece layshaft instead.
Old 06-07-2010

if a center diff was the way to go in 1/10, dont you think the big manufacturers would have done it by now?
Old 07-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
if a center diff was the way to go in 1/10, dont you think the big manufacturers would have done it by now?
agreed
Old 07-07-2010

And why would the latest go-fast tip from Kyosho be to put a pin in your slipper the ensure you get the same drive front and rear? Not that I like it, but obviously someone is finding that combination a winner I am sure.
Old 07-07-2010

Go, fabs, go.

Will look forward to try one out.
It should make the car go faster, easier to drive and easier to setup for tracks with diffrent grip level.
Like our local track wich is 75 some dusty thing wich has no grip at all and the other part carpet.
JQ knows for a long time that centrer diff is way to go.
Old 07-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaank View Post
Go, fabs, go.
JQ knows for a long time that centrer diff is way to go.
Exactly

It was very interesting reading his comments on the subject.

The idea has plenty of merit of track with varying grip levels, especially if they are bumpy. IMO a centre diff (or even a hydra-drive unit) is long overdue to electric 4wd's.
Old 08-07-2010
Mad Member

I may even have an idea of a way to have it be a limited slip diff... Only issue is it'd need to be a complete redesign compared to the FS slipper, whereas the one I've already designed uses quite a few original parts...
Old 12-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gps3300 View Post
Back in the 1990's I used to race an original Kyosho Lazer ZX which came with a centre ball differential built into the spur gear. It was terrible - the power is directed via path of lowest resistance to the wheel with the least grip, meaning in extremes it would only drive 1 front wheel. It had poor acceleration so the first thing most racers did was remove it and fit a WASP one piece layshaft instead.
The FS slipper doesnt use a thrust bearing, so is much stiffer in the action once built up into a diff.

Brad
Old 12-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
There's nothing as satifying as being a follower instead of a leader.
Does anyone know what colour body Tebo's using this week?

Fabs, I'd buy one for sure. I do lack acces to a lathe and a mill.
Old 04-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
So do you guys think a centre diff and slipper unit would be a good idea?

Now for the big question: if I made such a unit and decided to sell them, how many of you would be interested in buying one? The quality would be pretty similar to that of the RB5 MCS.
I'd buy one for sure if You decide to make them.