Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 19-03-2011

Default New 2wd

Hi Guys,

Just finished another Kyosho Mid. I know its been done before but I think it turned out pretty well. Here's the team ready for the Aussie Nationals.
Fingers crossed its as fast as the FS2.

Brad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.jpg (184.4 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0352.jpg (166.6 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0354.jpg (198.9 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0355.jpg (212.7 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0359.jpg (164.4 KB, 504 views)
Old 21-03-2011

whats the weight bias?
Old 21-03-2011

Good looking job.
Let us know how it goes. (a vid of it in action would be great!)
Old 21-03-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

Why you call it mid? It's more like forward
Anyway good job
Old 22-03-2011

Default Weight bias

Thanks for the comments.
Well its 40/60 at present but thats only due to the weight added under the cells. Total weight is 1650 which is very heavy but it does hold it very straight on the rough sections. Cornering seems fine so far. Time will tell when it goes up against other cars.

It does jump very well. Just like the FS as expected but can correct better than the RB5. I guess due to the lack of motor rotation.

Haven't had much track time lately due to rain but will get down to the track for more testing soon.

I'll post a vid from the nationals if I can. That would be April 25ish.
Old 22-03-2011

Default Weight position

Looking at other mid motor cars It seems all have the batteries and motor positioned behind the cars centre line.

I know the car would handle better if the weight was 35/65 with less overall weight.
I still can.
1. Flip the arms so its swept forward.
2. Position the hubs forward in the arms, both rear hubs and front
3. Put the shocks on the rear of the tower.
4. Remove the rear battery hold down bolts and slide the cells rearward. As a last resort.

All this might just get me too the right bias. Results will tell I suppose.
Old 22-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

As I found out when developing Scorpion sometimes the extra weight is an advantage!

Scorpion can be built up under weight, mine was almost spot on 1500g (35/65 bias in native form) with no extra weight in. Adding a bit of extra weight in the middle of the car (so not affecting the fore-aft balance) made it a lot easier to manage over the rough stuff.

Just a thought for you to try
Old 22-03-2011
Mad Member

Wouldn't it be better for the balljoint on the steering bellcrank to be on top rather than underneath so there is less of an acute angle from the servo pushrod?
Old 23-03-2011

weight helps a 2wd on a rough track, bumps are handled a lot better and the car is much less skittish. my home made mid 2wd has nearly 300g on board, it came in at 1250 when i made it so it needs it, but weight is just about 60/40 and that works very well for me, mine is also mid motor but motor is mounted longditudually at the rear of the car with a stick pack up the other side.
Old 24-03-2011

Default Ballj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Wouldn't it be better for the balljoint on the steering bellcrank to be on top rather than underneath so there is less of an acute angle from the servo pushrod?
It would but it then hits on the upper portion of the bulk head. At present it doesnt bind at all so im happy with that.
Old 24-03-2011

Talking Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgydiy View Post
weight helps a 2wd on a rough track, bumps are handled a lot better and the car is much less skittish. my home made mid 2wd has nearly 300g on board, it came in at 1250 when i made it so it needs it, but weight is just about 60/40 and that works very well for me, mine is also mid motor but motor is mounted longditudually at the rear of the car with a stick pack up the other side.
Well it has 200 gms under the cells now. I too have sp chassis and that nearly got used for this project but the cons are that it would jump like an sp, not an fs. Heading out for a test tonight on a race groomed track so ill have some answers soon.
Old 25-03-2011

Default Testing

Well the first real outing on a race track has had good results.
1. It does jump like the FS, corrections in the air are very easy and controlled. Better than an RB5 - Yes.
2. In the hair pins instead of a quick, stop, rotate and power out it would just drive and then I could get on the power early. Better? Dont know. Didn't seem to gain any real time advantage. Maybe more consistant?

3. Under hard acceleration it would drift slowly and controlled, like the FS. The RB5 would step out once the tyres broke away. This tends to let go earlier, but more controlled. Better? It is for me, more like driving a 4WD.
Over the bumps its seems alot faster, more stable and without the front end pitching in the air.

All in all it was a possitive result, and doubled by the fact that our local track is medium to low grip, and quite rough and rutted.

Can't wait to let it rip on a high grip track.