Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 01-02-2006

Send a message via ICQ to ApexSpeed Send a message via AIM to ApexSpeed Send a message via MSN to ApexSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to ApexSpeed Send a message via Skype™ to ApexSpeed
Angry Do you mind if I get on a soapbox and rant?

You guys don't know me from Adam, though I know a lot of you race with each other on a regular basis. I've taken a liking to this group of racers, as well as the forums over at the Doughty site, for many reasons, but one of the main reasons is I don't feel like there is a 12-year old mentality dominating EVERY CONVERSATION.

Maybe it's an American thing, but it's really cracking on me lately. I'm so tired of RC forums that are just inundated with name-calling, posturing and pissing matches. It's like a schoolyard brawl waiting to happen at every opportunity. People flex internet muscles WAY too often now, and most of them are 13-year old kids trying to be people they aren't.

I need to walk around the block a few times to remind myself to not get angry about the stupid things people write on internet boards. I've gotten better over the years, but I still have a short fuse and am quick to respond if someone pushes my buttons. Lately, though, it seems to be almost anarchy on some of the big RC boards (more specifically RCtech.net).

I spent the last month working to push some of the painters on that board to think a bit, be creative and produce something outside of the box, but it was met with almost ZERO support, and the majority of the feedback was less than immature. It just showed me that there is nothing new under the sun, and none of the painters on there are worth anything as artists. My best response has been written in my head a few times, but will never be posted, because I know it's not worth arguing with children and stupid people.

I guess what I'm saying in a really long-winded way, is that I really appreciate you guys as a group. I wish I had the opportunity to race over there a few times, as it appears that the concept of R/C racing isn't lost in an avalanche of monster trucks and rock crawlers. Maybe I just need a sabbatical from RCtech for a while, as all it does is irritate me.

Good grief, why do I let stupid people on the internet bother me? :eek:

doug
Old 01-02-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

very good point.

I have noticed this going on rctech.net and the trinity forum, some others as well and it seems that people are just trying to better everyone else instead of talking about a common interest.

you don't get that on here, or even my site that much, mainly because pretty much everyone on those 2 boards race, have at some point been to and raced in a national (UK) race, or at least watched.

the US boards seem to be filled with expert back yard bashers that think if they were allowed to use BK's car at the worlds they have the 'skillz' to win... quite simply.... they don't. they might be able to wheel a car around, but they don't have the nerve, composure or 'game' to do it. you just have to watch their replys on various forums.

Neil Cragg on the other hand, will post very rarely, but is often found browsing the doughtyuk.net forums or even on here I would imagine, only posts constructive things when needed and shows everyone the way home on the track. and that is what actual world champions are like.
Old 01-02-2006
Administrator

Yep I visit the likes of RCtech and RcCaraction boads sometimes still but to be honest there are people on there that know it all and theres no point.

I really like the doughty board best since its real racers but still free and easy going. It has the 'taste' of nationals about it too!
Old 01-02-2006
Mad Member

Agree with the above both Jimmys and Chris's forums are were its at with people that mostly race and willing to help people out and make decent comments.

In some ways i am glad that the US boards have not picked up on the the Slim4 i am sure they would start slating it, which would really cheese me off after all the work that has gone into it.
Old 01-02-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

agreed, doughty and o0ple forums are far the best ive visited by how there run and the people that visit them.

i visit a yank forum on a regular basis but normally go else where after reading a few threads as wadeing through piles of crap to find some decent info is not how i wish to spend my time on the net!

other forums i feel are too strict, dont do this, dont advertise, spell correctly, no avatars etc i mean whats that all about!? i understand some type of structure needs to be maintained but not allowing links or personal avatars is abit too much for me!

on o0ple and doughty i find you can be your self and express your self in any way you wish to, obviously using common sence and not stepping over the line with profinity and abuse.

if either of these forums wasnt avaliable i highly doubt i would use the internet as much as i do now!
Old 01-02-2006

Send a message via MSN to darryl

with both jimmy's and chris's forums,there is a more down to earth feeling about them,the only banter is said in jest,jimmy i know personally and is very down to earth and easy goingand we all know he has a sense of humour,chris doughty is a seasoned veteran (at racing and not his age) and is prepared to help out anyone who asks (thanks chris) so both forums are very good and the type of people they attract reflects in that and all info that comes through is worth reading as there is no idiots upseting the apple cart,but glad you like our style of forums doug and the people that go with it
darryl
tenth technology predator xk98
Old 01-02-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

Made me giggle, they started talking technical about diffs/spools/one ways on the drift thread the other day.... I mean, the whole thing about drifting is to get away from the sometimes ANAL thinking you get in touring cars. I do stay away from the off-road section there though as it is full of truggies/trucks/odd things which I don't realy have a passion for discussing.

Some of the painters on there though are very talented, Charlie_B and ShopUFO are two that come to mind, but I do feel at times it is like a shop window for them and a way to make us normal painters feel inadequate.

Only civilized forum I use from America is the Tekin one, mainly cause I moderate it and keep people in line but the Americanisms sometimes rubs off and I find myself typing 'wow cool dude...' then I slap myself.

But then bad behavious isnt just restricted to the USA forums, just recently found myself reading each new post on BIWS thread on a certain forum, as the bitchyness rose, it was more fun than Desperate Housewives.... lol...

Anyhows, apreciate that you like our more 'level headed' approach.
Old 01-02-2006

Send a message via ICQ to ApexSpeed Send a message via AIM to ApexSpeed Send a message via MSN to ApexSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to ApexSpeed Send a message via Skype™ to ApexSpeed

Well, if you want to see a glimpse of me coming unglued, check out the last page of the 2-color Challenge thread on rctech.com. I think that might be my final post on that forum for a LONG time. I'm done. What a bunch of morons. I can't believe I even hit the "post" button after I wrote that.

Someone slap me.

Ugh.
Old 01-02-2006
Supah doOpah

*slap*
Old 02-02-2006

I agree totally with you ApexSpeed, I actually found this site by accident. And I think you guys like it like that . But really I am a monster truck "basher" when I have the time. This year I am looking to do some REAL racing with my newly accuired XXX-4 G. I have read some threads on here and all I have to say is WOW . Everyone talks , gossips, braggs, and HELPS 1 another without making the "NEWBIE" like my self feel like a retart. I respect all the members that are here and I know that I will never speak of this forum to anyone else just for the sole purpose of keeping this place "NEAT" . 1 example of why I found myself likeing this forum is that in the BST section , I asked about a X10 and was replied to in a very nice , respectful , and short answer. Then I get a PM out of the blue about a X10 and thought that was very mature. I just hope that the regulars don't hold nothing against me being from the USA just cause of some punk on other forums.

Again I just wanna say that I hope to gain much info on this board.
Old 02-02-2006

Nah, we're not anti-anyone, just like people to be a little grown up about things, lol. and Mr OoPlE got a mean camera lol.
Old 02-02-2006
Grammarator

Send a message via Skype™ to emzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM
and Mr OoPlE got a mean camera lol.
You're not bloody kidding, you should see some of the photos it takes of me... now they ARE mean.
Old 02-02-2006
Administrator

What, like this one ?

or this one ? haha
Old 02-02-2006

Its just a shame the camera cant get the sound to go with them.

The image of a sweet vunerable female goes straight out of the window.
Old 02-02-2006

Would be more funny if she was wearing a real girly flowery dress to wouldn't it... I be Miss Sheilds don't even own one.... roflol
Old 02-02-2006
Grammarator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM
Would be more funny if she was wearing a real girly flowery dress to wouldn't it... I be Miss Sheilds don't even own one.... roflol
In FACT... I own several! I even wear them occasionally! Skirts are the order of the day though... I just bought this gorgeous frilly pink one with flowers round the bottom. And another pink one!

Evidence -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...majorca026.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...e/P1010082.jpg

Fair enough, nasty photos... but hey, they're dresses!!

And Jim... you KNOW you have worse... good job they're not worth webbing!
Old 02-02-2006

I was surprised when I met Miss Shields for the 1st time at the F3, 4 & 5’s she was dead shy and very quiet, was it just an act?

What's this thread about again?
Old 02-02-2006
Supah doOpah

jimmy has worser dresses!? i dint know he was a cross dresser
Old 02-02-2006

I meant frilly flowing summer dresses not school ball gowns, lol... at least we know you ein't got hairy legs, roflol
Old 02-02-2006
Grammarator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathy
What's this thread about again?
Me wearing dresses. Naturally. But isn't everything?

Me me me.

Last edited by emzy; 02-02-2006 at 07:51 PM.