Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 24-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Would love a TRF 511X BUT!!!!!

After reading a lot of the threads on the TAMIYA section the most striking thing that hits you is the quality of the cars and parts So WHY on earth doesn't the UK distributor give the backing too these cars ? Will this change due to the signing up of drivers lee martin and elliot harper ?
I hope so, because i'm sure there's plenty of people in the UK that would support the brand. I for one allway's support the local or national hobby stores so come on HOBBY CO pull your fingers out
Old 24-04-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Hobby Co has nothing to do with Lee Martin, as I believe Lee is part of the TRF Team, which is global.

Hobby Co and TRF cars, it is like a chicken and egg, they brought in 10 501X's in, as they said there was no call for them, they also priced them high, so everyone bought from Asia.... so because they didn't sell the kits, they don't think there is a need to stock the spares.

Hobby Co are so far detached from the racing seen, they don't know what is happening.
Old 24-04-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mole2k

Hobby Co have no interest in supporting racing stuff, they would prefer to sell 1000 TT-01's instead.

It's very unfortunate and I cant see it changing as I can see them letting a seperate company distribute the TRF lines...

www.rcbearings.co.uk
Old 24-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I know lee is a great driver and is well respected as a racer so what's the point in him being a TRF driver when surelly the purpose is for him to promote the TAMIYA name and products in the UK. Would it be feasable for a secondary distributor just for the TRF products ?
Old 24-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Its a nice idea. I have been running Tamiya TC`s for a few years now. Slowly the spares availability has grown within the UK as more people run them. Until there is a full spares back up ill continue to send my money out of the country sadly
I got a quote for a 416 from my local model shop via the UK agent, but it turned out that the cost to him was considerably more than a NIB kit shipped from HK to me direct.

Im no expert on economics so dont pretend to be. A lot of it is down to £ vs $ though. Some people avoid the brand as they are frightened of spares availability. Personally though, i have found it quicker to get spares sent direct from HK than i have ordering out of stock parts by other manufacturers here in the UK.

Not many importers or main agents seem to hold any quantity of stock here

See My Feedback

Old 24-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It's a real shame as there's a real market here for the TRF branded cars and for lee as we all know that more people running the cars then the more development it gets. Mind you lee seems to be doing o.k on his own ike he did with the aero.
Old 24-04-2010
Administrator

Hobby Co. suck.
Old 24-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegger View Post
It's a real shame as there's a real market here for the TRF branded cars and for lee as we all know that more people running the cars then the more development it gets. Mind you lee seems to be doing o.k on his own ike he did with the aero.

Yeah its a shame and i agree. I think he`d make the A if you stuck 4 wheels to a house brick though tbh

See My Feedback

Old 24-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

duplicate post :s

See My Feedback

Old 24-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Hobby Co. suck.

Jimmy - any news on those XLS decals bud - have you nudged the boss yet ?

See My Feedback

Old 24-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegger View Post
I know lee is a great driver and is well respected as a racer so what's the point in him being a TRF driver when surelly the purpose is for him to promote the TAMIYA name and products in the UK. Would it be feasable for a secondary distributor just for the TRF products ?
Lee is an awesome driver!

Remember, Pidge races all over the world so his influence is global.

He will no doubt go to America, lay smack down and people will want to buy the car off of the back of his drives.

I think its more a global thing than a UK thing.

Plus, id imagine that in the eyes of Tamiya, a sale no matter where the buyer gets their car from is still a sale.

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 24-04-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
Lee is an awesome driver!

Remember, Pidge races all over the world so his influence is global.

He will no doubt go to America, lay smack down and people will want to buy the car off of the back of his drives.

I think its more a global thing than a UK thing.

Plus, id imagine that in the eyes of Tamiya, a sale no matter where the buyer gets their car from is still a sale.
Totally agree fella, but it still does'nt help the people out in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Hobby Co. suck.
jimmy check out your pm's fella
Old 25-04-2010

We have they same issue here in Australia with TRF. The Tamiya distributor/importer has no interest in TRF products They are predominantly a toy and hobby(models) importer. No good for any hardcore Tamiya TRF racer fans.
Old 25-04-2010
Mad Member

There is no problem running Tamiya in the uk. Demon stocks lots of TRF parts and getting parts from hk/jpn usually is pretty rapid (a week or less).

The other good thing is that due to the fact its a Tamiya it wont really break anyway
Old 25-04-2010

I can say most importers/hobby shops in the USA are racer oriented but Tamiya kits are hard to get here.. especially TRF electrics.. if you can find kits they're usually $200usd higher then online in HK shipped. Tamiya make great products, and they know it, so they don't really care if the distribtion sux, they know we'll get it however we can.
Old 25-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post
Some people avoid the brand as they are frightened of spares availability. Personally though, i have found it quicker to get spares sent direct from HK than i have ordering out of stock parts by other manufacturers here in the UK.
I was gonna post this, but you already said it. I don't see what the big deal is when people always say this. Stuff comes from HK and Japan in about a week, even to the US. If you're at the track racing and you break something, unless you've got a hobby shop 5 minutes away driving distance, you still need to go home and order parts.

Hobby shops don't make money supporting a hand full of local racers driving expensive cars that they might sell a couple a year. They make money off the hundreds of other cars that are cheaper and more popular.

Racing is about brand recongnition. Tamiya doesn't race to sell high end race cars. They race to get the name out there to sell all the other less expensive cars.
Old 25-04-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Hobby Co and TRF cars, it is like a chicken and egg, they brought in 10 501X's in, as they said there was no call for them, they also priced them high, so everyone bought from Asia.... so because they didn't sell the kits, they don't think there is a need to stock the spares.
I was told something similar to that by my local shop a few years back with the 501, although it was more like, "this is coming out soon, how many do you want?, by the way, we won't be bringing in spares for it", pure madness
Old 03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
I can say most importers/hobby shops in the USA are racer oriented but Tamiya kits are hard to get here.. especially TRF electrics.. if you can find kits they're usually $200usd higher then online in HK shipped. Tamiya make great products, and they know it, so they don't really care if the distribtion sux, they know we'll get it however we can.
I find kits competitively priced in comparison. MyAtomic, Speedtechrc, Ampdraw and others stock TRF kits, and parts are less expensive than TamiyaUSA.. If all else fails, Japan and HK is a good backup plan.. Tamiya (TRF) support is good here in the USA if you know where to look .. Anyway, I have seen 511 go for $475-$525 in some online shops

Sorry for off topic
Old 03-08-2010

Default ....dead thread BUT - 2 questions........

Hello Everyone.......I know it seems TRF support is lacking in most markets, but I have some general questions based on all of your experience with the 511X...

1.) Are the quality / design improvements really worth going after this buggy (support issues aside)?

2.) What are the major options / changes /upgrades one needs to make to shake out the remaining gremlins in this buggy?

Thanks for any input you might have.

Best Wishes All.

Kydawg1 - stateside
Old 03-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

The quality of the 511 is superb!!! The build and fit of everything is amazing. The only thing you Have to change on the std car is the ball studs. These are very soft and break/bend easily. Apart from that nothing needed, but you will get the blue addiction and get every hop up available to make it one sexxxxxxy looking car!!!!!!