Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 15-08-2008

Default Feedback on my new website

Hopefully it's okay to post this here.

I have re-written for the first time the entire base code of my site (rather than just updating) and I have have gone for a slightly different style. I am wondering if I could have some constructive feedback please.

Negative comments and suggestions are really welcome (don't be too mean though lol) and I will take everything on board, thanks.

http://www.glypo.com/test

It's only the home page that works, you can compare against my existing website:

http://www.glypo.com

thanks for your time!
Old 15-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

When changing the main picture I like how the squares move horizontally across to change the image, but I really dont like the bubbles going vertically upwards.

Keep everything horizontal squares IMO

Otherwise, looks better than the old frontpage

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 15-08-2008

I'm also not keen on some of the picture transition, I think you should keep them a bit simpler.

The text "Welcome to the all new Glypo.com" doesn't show well on my laptop, not enough contrast.

Other than that, some nice subtle changes.
Old 15-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to blitzboy

looks good mate but i would say the same about the piccys

http://www.customblitz.co.uk
Email:graham@customblitz.co.uk

Old 15-08-2008

CSS is the way forward, new homepage looks good here across the various browsers I can access. Would add the same comment about slightly 'gimmicky' transitions, perhaps pick one and stick with it?

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the site as you transition the content across.
Old 15-08-2008

That's awesome feedback thanks. I set the image transition to random - as I use a cool free flash tool for the image rotation. So I'll find a nice one and stick to it. Probably the horizontal squares as wisely suggested by Cris.

Thanks for the subheading comment vintageracer - I have now changed it and hopefully it's better. There is a slight bug with internet explorer I am told, this would be due to the way I have rounded the edges of the background of the sub-heading. Problem is I'm a Linux user... so can't use Internet Explorer. So that will have to stay slightly buggy until I can be bothered to boot up Winblows.

PB you are right, CSS is the only way. I have been using it for the last 3 years or so on my website, but only for styling. My original website design was tables so I got lazy and just updated it rather than replacing. So hopefully this will be better accross all browsers .

Oh yeah, I have also changed the menu so it now rolls over with red text as well as the existing red glow. Once again thanks all for the feedback - as you can see I really do appreciate and work on it
Old 16-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by glypo View Post
Thanks for the subheading comment vintageracer - I have now changed it and hopefully it's better. There is a slight bug with internet explorer I am told, this would be due to the way I have rounded the edges of the background of the sub-heading. Problem is I'm a Linux user... so can't use Internet Explorer. So that will have to stay slightly buggy until I can be bothered to boot up Winblows.
There is a glitch, the bottom of the text is chopped off (see attached image)

I use both Windows and Linux at home and at work. You could run IE under Wine, I've had a number of windows apps running on a Linux desktop and it wasn't too painful to set up. Kind of goes against the whole Linux thing, but in this situation, it will mean you avoid booting windows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glypoglitch.JPG (9.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 16-08-2008

Fantastic reply - thanks! I will get on fixing that bug today.

For some reason I didn't think about running IE under Wine. After some quick googling it appears IE7 not possible just yet but IE6 does. So after installing wine-doors (very very cool application, a bit like wine-tools only newer) I now have IE6 on Fedora!

Thanks for the suggestion, you have just made my life a trillion times easier
Old 18-08-2008

Yup, very nice site!

I still code sites in HTML Tables, but i really have to learn proper CSS!! I can only use it for styling ATM...