Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 28-09-2013

Default Which way is the ball diff in your 210?

Hey guys. Just wandering which direction the diff is suppose to face in a dex210? Having some trouble with it loosening itself. Using black grease on the thrust bearing and dab of thread lock on the nut. Just given it a rebuild and cant remember which side the nut was. Thanks for reading.
Old 28-09-2013

Depends on what gearbox config you're running. Look in the manual p.24/25 the diagrams of the built gearbox on the right will show you. It will' have the nut or a slot for the screw. HTH
Durango DEX410R
Old 28-09-2013
Mad Member

Considering many 4WD ball diffs (particularly belt drive ones) are reversed between front and rear I doubt it matters much - after all the nut and screw are connected to one side, and the thrust bearing to the other. If the screw catches on any parts of the thrust bearing it can undo itself, and a ball diff moves in both directions. Perhaps it's worth considering the following:

0. Have you built the diff right? (Probably so, but always the first place to look, especially considering the 210 manual is known for it's bugs and it's small, easily overlooked details )

1. Are any drivetrain parts causing excessive friction (too many shims in the gearbox, damaged bearings, an overtightened wheel(nut)).
2. Does it loosen when you drive particularly on a clockwise or counterclockwise track?
3. Are any parts in the diff binding on the diff screw that might cause it to loosen?
4. Have you properly degreased the diff screw and nut?

I didn't have diff problems with my DEX210 or DEX210 based FWD Buggy, and I've been using both intensively for the last 4-5 months. Condition is you do put ceramic diff balls in, the standard ones were not feeling so well after only one club meet... but that's unlikely the cause of your diff woes.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy