Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 17-01-2013

Default Few noob questions

Hi guys,

done a search of the forum before i posted this but the threads didn't quite answer my questions specifically so anyone that could take the time, i'd be very grateful.

I used to race TC back in the NiCd and for the last few years i've been racing Mardaves on oval with NiMH.

Just bought a B44.1 and i am moving over to lipo. I currently have 2 saddle packs, however i don't have a charger, still trying to decide.

Initially i was panicky over lipo's due to all the scaremongering videos on youtube, but it soon becomes apparent that most of them are soft cases and being completely abused.

I was thinking i still wont scrimp and get a decen't charger, probably a Pulsar touch unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Here is my 2 questions:

1. When the saddles are in the car and i bridge them, do i just use a normal bit of wire with a corally at either end? I think the answer is yes but i want to be 100% sure.

2. When i balance charge them, i believe i need a different lead to bridge them but i've no idea which one. I know on stick packs the balance lead plugs directly into the lipo. Is this the lead i need? http://www.jemodels.com/electric-mod...ategory_id=485

Thanks in advance for any answers. Any comments to lay any lipo fears to rest would also be much appreciated, i think i fear the unknown.
Old 17-01-2013

Hi,

Having recently got back into the hobby myself, i understand you concerns about lipos - all i can say is wow - what a difference to nicads of old!!

Can't recomend the orion touch charger enough - it so easy to use - has loads of features and is a fair bit cheaper than the LRP.

I won't comment on saddles as I am using shorty Lipo's, I'm sure a more experienced racer will help you out there!

Si

See my trader feedback here;

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186538
Old 17-01-2013

Overlander rc6s pro charger, 1/6 of the price of similar chargers. I run saddles, you need a connector with 4mm corallys and a balance lead. The balance plug side should go to the negative plug. You will also neec an etronix balance adapter, about £5. To charge, read your cell specs. It should be about 1c. This means for a 4000mah pack, charge at 4a. For 5000mah, 5a etc. Lipos aren't scary, honest!!!!
BTW, that is the lead you need, or the etronix.
Old 18-01-2013

I just recently got back into this and knew nothing about lipos, and after a bit of searching I bought one of these.

http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...l-charger.html

It does everything I need it to do, comes with the balance board and all the leads you need for charging sticks or saddles. It comes with deans connecters as standard, but its easy enough to put corrally style ones on.

Granted its not that flashy or trick, but so far its doing the job perfectly

G
Old 18-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1875 View Post
Hi guys,

Here is my 2 questions:

1. When the saddles are in the car and i bridge them, do i just use a normal bit of wire with a corally at either end? I think the answer is yes but i want to be 100% sure.

Yes, you can make it yourself

2. When i balance charge them, i believe i need a different lead to bridge them but i've no idea which one. I know on stick packs the balance lead plugs directly into the lipo. Is this the lead i need? http://www.jemodels.com/electric-mod...ategory_id=485

Something like that with something like this http://www.modelsport.co.uk/modelspo...roducts/370165 for the bridge - you can make it yourself

Thanks in advance for any answers. Any comments to lay any lipo fears to rest would also be much appreciated, i think i fear the unknown.
You will find lipo's easier than cells, loads of power and lighter .
Just a thought, it's the little white plug on the balance lead that sometimes confuses, make sure it suits your charger.