Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 06-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Mixing 2.4Ghz systems, does it work?

Hi guys,
Somebody is bound to know this.

Looking into buying a Futaba 3VCS with 2.4ghz, but I already have plenty of Spektrum stuff.

If I use the Futaba module, is it compatible with the Spektrum receivers? (Pro, not HRS).

Cheers
Chris
Old 06-06-2008
Mad Member

simple answer... no.

Futaba and spektrum use a different type of 2.4gHz system, which are not interchangeable with each other.

Old 06-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thats unfortunate, but thank you for the quick answer!
Old 06-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
Hi guys,
Somebody is bound to know this.

Looking into buying a Futaba 3VCS with 2.4ghz, but I already have plenty of Spektrum stuff.

If I use the Futaba module, is it compatible with the Spektrum receivers? (Pro, not HRS).

Cheers
Chris
could you not use the Spektrum made module for Futaba contollers
Old 06-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Could you not state anything more obvious, I don't have any problem with the basics but thank you for caring.

I asked the question as it would be cheaper to buy a 2.4GHZ Futaba system than to buy the tranny and Spektrum module for it separate. I asked it because I have about 4 Spektrum Pro receivers for my current KO Universe & Spektrum.

I'll be getting a 3VCS (hopefully with no module if possible - will see), then a Spektrum Pro module for it, so I can use all my receivers.

OR, I may sell all the Spektrum stuff I have, and use the Futaba 2.4Ghz module, with the right Futaba receivers.
Old 06-06-2008
Mad Member

But Chris, do you have the SR3000HRS Spektrum receivers? Or the smaller "std" ones?

The 3VCS is HRS. Not 100% sure but I do believe you'll need HRS receivers for it.

The SR3000HRS receivers are crap btw, the antennas break off before long and it's very hard to replace it...

My advice is to go for Futaba FASST module and receivers, that's very good stuff!

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 06-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Shy,
Good point! The KO Universe is high response, isn't it? thats what I am using now. Im not sure which model receivers I have as the packaging is gone, and the actual receivers are just a plain semi-transparent case. The module in my KO is the SM1001 if that means anything?

Im beginning to think, that the cheapest option is the Futaba route, selling my KO stuff - Ben Jemison already has first-dibs on my micro receivers...
Old 06-06-2008
Mad Member

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Produc...Receivers.aspx
-you have the SR3500?

When I bought a 3VCS and Spektrum module and receivers two years ago I THOUGHT I had to have the HRS-version since the radio can module HRS. It can also switch to PPM or PCM, but I'm not sure if it still will work with the SR3500... I have a sneaky feeling it does but you better make 100% sure! HRS is in any case supposedly better...

The SR3000HRS DSM 2-Channel Receiver is designed for the FUT 3PK, HRS - which is the same radio as the 3VCS.

Anyways, the crappy antennas, the poor reach, re-binding, and the interference problems with Spektrum is reason enough to jump onto FASST! Snap-on coax antenna, and no problems whatsoever!

Don't know the KO systems. But I'm sure their native 2,4 GHz systems is also perfect.

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 06-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yes, I have 3 of those SR3500 and 1 of the SR3001, running from the module SM1001, in the KO Universe Esprit 3 transmitter.

Thinking now, along the lines of selling all the above, and buy a 3PVCS with 2.4ghz Futaba system combo package, and 1 perhap 2 spare receivers.

If anyone wants to make me a sensible offer on ALL the above then please do. (working, all in excellent condition).

Chris
Old 07-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11406

Selling everything here, in the hope of buying/affording a 2.4ghz Futaba 3vcs and 2 additional R603FS receivers.
Old 07-06-2008

Chris, have you seen KO's stuff is supposedly due soon. This is what i'm waiting for before going to 2.4Ghz.

http://www.kopropo.co.jp/product/24GhzProducts2.html
Old 07-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Gaz, yeh I know about that, its the KO Universe transmitter I want to change, so no point awaiting the KO 2.4ghz stuff. It ought to be good tho.
Old 07-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
its the KO Universe transmitter I want to change.
Ah right. Fair enough
Old 07-06-2008

I'm sorry, I may be misreading what is was said above but it seems incorrect to me.

The Futaba 3VC (and 3PK for that case) allow you to select between PPM. PCM and HRS, so you do not need to have HRS modules and receivers.

With Spektrum you actually have 3 options. Standard, Pro or HRS. The standard and pro modules both run using PPM. The HRS module runs on HRS only. The downside to this is you can only buy Spektrum HRS receivers (so for HRS spektrum you would need all new receivers anyway) and you need digi servos in all your models.

With Futaba FASST you have one module. This module automatically detects whether you are running in PCM or HRS and the receiver can take both also. So you get best of both worlds, and indeed for my models with digital servos I use HRS and PCM for those with analogue.

So anyway, the 3VC isn't a HRS only system, so you can use your existing pro receivers. It would likely be cheaper to simply buy the Spektrum Pro module for the 3VC and link it with your existing receivers. However this would mean you could not run in HRS mode, but does anyone really notice the difference?

The Futaba FASST system is no doubt the superior system however. Much faster, much higher resolution etc etc.
Old 07-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just ordered the 3vcs with Faast system & spare receivers.

Your post makes sense. Futaba systems have a lot of options and it does get very confusing, PPM PCM PMT PMA YMCA & Faast, so I went for superior - and it'd be the simplest to function (im easily confused).

All my Spektrum and Universe stuff is sold already.

Still got a KO Esprit 2 Vantage Type R for sale though. Will bung it onto ebay if no interest by Monday.

Chris
Old 21-06-2008

To the best of my knowledge the only one that is cross platform able is the Nomadio. You can use the Spektrum receivers with Nomadio transmitters.
Michael....... 3 Phase Racing / Schumacher / Max Amps / Tekin Brushless / FMA lipo chargers / Neu Motors / Multiplex 707 / Adrenaline Racers Club ........... Photo 1/8 Schumacher GTR-e blowing the doors off the nitro guys
Old 21-06-2008

Out of interest how come you're changing from the KO to Futaba?

I've had a KO for Vantage 2 for years, but it's getting a bit tired, so was looking at upgrading. The Universe feels nice, the steering stick is very light, which I think would suit touring cars, I'm not sure about buggies though.
Old 21-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Ian,
Yeh I have had KO's for years too, going right back to the non-digital/twisty dials under the panels, then the green one, then the one without the battery gauge in the top, the gold one & finally the Universe. Ive always loved them so the Universe was naturally the one I chose, but now I have had it for 12months and don't get me wrong, it functions well, I just have the opinion that it doesn't have the feeling of quality like the previous KO's had. If it wasn't for me being keen to use 2.4ghz then id have gone back to the gold one. I know I can have this converted, but I have opted to sell it all to fund the change to Futaba.

I now have the Futaba 3vcs with Faasst, and it feels VERY well made indeed. Weighty, feels nice (especially the heavy spring for brakes), a good feeling to all the buttons, the function of it is easy and even down to the pairing of receivers - it is really impressive.
Old 21-06-2008

Thanks Chris, interesting thoughts, I'm still on the green Vantage. I have had a hold of the 3VC, it's a bit different to KOs, without owning one it's hard to tell how you will get on with it. I've looked at the 3GR too, seems to do everything you need a radio to and its nice that the aerial comes out the top, I don't know if it's right, but with the module conversions the aerial always looks vulnerable incase you lay the radio down. With the 3GR I wondered if things like the pots and mechanicals were as good quality as the top end radios though.
Old 22-06-2008

Ive done the same thing as chris. Had a vantage type r but becaues ive got big hands(im 6ft 4) icould never decide where to put my fingers on that spine on the back. So i got the universe as it didnt have that spine but just wasnt happy with the build quality or how soft the sticks are. I know you can increas the tenssion but not with out voiding your waranty(unlike the 3vc). Ive had the 3vc since april and am very happy with it would highly recomend it