Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > News

Old 08-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

DCM, why would it need a crease? its 3mm alloy.

I don't know what all the debate is about, none of you guys are the designers. Have faith, that whatever any brand does, its been extensively tested and its like that as a result of the test, so don't slate it before its even hit a track!

Some of you guys set a cars reputation before its even gone any further than pictures.. and others listen.. FFS stop it.
Old 08-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

[quote=Lee;91931]Yup, if this car has the precision of the b4 and the stability of a losi then it will be the best car out there, quote]

What an excelent description of the RB5 .... but you seem to have posted it in the wrong thread!!!
Old 08-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It is great to see something a little different out there.

I am not sure what the hell people are on about with the looks of it ..... who the hell cares what it looks like naked .... when it's being raced it will be fully dressed so before we say ugly lets wait till we see it in it's party dress.

I think Adam should be congratulated for not doing another clone which seems to be all to common these days.

If it's not a decent car I'd be very suprised and I say the more choice the better as not everybody likes the same driving feel. This car will suit some people far better than most other cars, other people will think it drives like a shed .... that's just life!

I like the car for the fact it has obviously had some serious engineering thought applied and the fact that surfaces like grass and astroturf will ahve been considered at the design stage not as an after thought.

Looking forward to seeing one go on a decent off-road track.

Am I going to be putting my RB5 up for sale, no ..... not a chance. Am I going to slate a car that has not had a chance to show what it can or can not do, no.
Old 08-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

Quote:
didnt know you did touring car racing Tel !....
...I'm not after next week!

Can't this be put in the hot bodies thread? As I keep going to the wrong one.

....I say, lets wait until Adam bring one to a track and kicks all our arses before people slate it!!
And who says ugly can't be beautiful? Hasn't everyone been looking for something different for the last few years? and now its here, everyone hates it!?
Old 08-02-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

There are some things i like, and some things i don't like the look of - but it's always hard to tell from pictures. Don't think you can say a bare chassis looks ugly, need to wait for a shell to say that really.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the B4 geometry is nestling in there somewhere as well but let's be honest, on the whole for most people it works, so why not.

The thing i find very interesting is the choice of assembly/materials. Although there is a definite up turn in 1/10 off rd, there still seems to be a bit of a resistance (and oddly from the bigger companies) to invest in mould tooling. Aero and X-fact are relatively small companies compared to the might of Tamiya and HPI and so you'd maybe expect their choice's to be the direct opposite to what they have been. It's all good though.
Old 08-02-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
DCM, why would it need a crease? its 3mm alloy.
There are all sorts of alloy out there dude, for different applications, some are soft, some are hard at resisting change, some are soft and require heat treating after to harden the alloy structure.

So I guess it all comes down to material choice and post forming/stamping process that will dictate it's overall strength and rigidity.

It is like Carbon fiber, there is CF and then there is GOOD CF. Also, if you lay p the good CF and use an autoclave to cure it, is makes it better again.
Old 08-02-2008

Talking TEAM LOSI RACING RULES!

I think it will be a contender in the buggy classes!

I also think it is a good looking car might have to switch from losi to Hot Bodies?

And i own a B4 and have'nt even gave it a try yet!
AE.
Airtronics.
JConcepts.
Xcelorin Brushless Systems...

Is what these race cars are powered by!

Brian Mincks:
Old 08-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
I think Adam should be congratulated for not doing another clone which seems to be all to common these days.
Oh, you mean clones like the D4 and their 12th scale onroad car?
XXX-CR

You Brits talk so funny

Old 08-02-2008

Send a message via MSN to Chris Green

I'm quite surprised how many people are trying to slate this car?

I really like the fact that there is a new car on the market. Its great for 10th off-road. Its even better to see an unconventional car being developed too.
Old 08-02-2008

Default kyosho

chassis looks similer 2 the kyosho rb5 but this D2 is gonna be a champion
Old 08-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
There are all sorts of alloy out there dude, for different applications, some are soft, some are hard at resisting change, some are soft and require heat treating after to harden the alloy structure.

So I guess it all comes down to material choice and post forming/stamping process that will dictate it's overall strength and rigidity.

It is like Carbon fiber, there is CF and then there is GOOD CF. Also, if you lay p the good CF and use an autoclave to cure it, is makes it better again.
Yep, got what your saying, makes sense & its good advice to someone considering making parts of their own, I realise that you certainly know your stuff. Do you have doubt that HB would test & use materials above par for the purpose? I don't think I would doubt that, especially not at this stage anyway.
Old 08-02-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I doubt it to, but even the stiffest material could be helped by a crease, take a tip from the Nitro chassis makers....
Old 09-02-2008
Administrator

A few close ups

Old 09-02-2008

I love the way this buggy is built on the front looks pretty strong
Old 09-02-2008

Very interesting. The front shock tower brace is cool. It's nice to see more players in 2WD off-road.
Old 09-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchB. View Post
Oh, you mean clones like the D4 and their 12th scale onroad car?
I was not trying to point the finger at HB for cloning cars ... mearly pointing out that there are quite a lot of similar cars around at the moment in terms of weight distribution and geometry.

To my mind this is a bad thing as it removes the ability of a driver to choose what suits him best. Think back a few years and the Losi XXX and the B3 where classic examples .... totally opposed dynamically and you'd find some people would prefer the B3 (I was one) and other prefered the XXX, it was all down to their personal preferences. The 2wd's today are much less different in handling terms, although there is still some spread and thus some people like the B4, other the Losi and others the RB5 which sits in the middle.

The situation is much more of an issue with the 4wds which all seem to have fairly similar geometry and weight distribution straight from the manufactures, with the exception of the ZX5-SP which is why that is my choice, it suits where the others don't (having said that Gaz Stanton's Yok BX seemed good when I drove it).

All I was trying to say is that choice is never a bad thing!!!!!!

The HB D2 (or whatever it will actually be called) looks like it should be an option well worth considering, just have to see how it goes on the track ...... well in the right hands I'm guessing.
Old 09-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I must say as a design engineer I have to agree with DCM.

Since they are probably stamping the chassis plate to form the kick-up and cell cut outs I am suprised to see there is no raised material anywhere to give it longditudinal stiffness as well as improved torsional stiffness.

It might be the case that the edges of the chassis are slightly bevelled upwards where the side guards attach but we can't see it in the pictures, that is what I'd do as you don't need a dirty great step ... any upturn would be of benefit.
Old 09-02-2008

Roger,

I'm a design engineer too (if you check my city, you know at which firm
oooo ...),
probably the 3mm thickness alone gives an huge amount of stiffness.

If you chose a material which allows to bend the edges in the manufacturing
process without producing small cracks it has to be softer.

I guess they went to a highly alloyed aluminium, very hard but allows no
small bending radiuses (sp?). the 3mm thickness together with a higher
E-modul gives the strength
Old 09-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Micha, I know what your saying ...... I am assuming that the kick-up is stamped in .. which would suggest a certain range of materials (or a certain other range with some post forming heat treatment) which would make it possible ...... although as you say not down to a very small radius. I was actually thinking something like a 30 - 50mm radius (internal) and only lifting the top surface by 3mm or so above the main surface using that bend radius. You wouldn't want too much of an angle or else people would complain about not having a flat enough surface to mount their electrics off.

Just thinging out loud an making the assumption that the material chossen would be simialr to that used in the HB nitro cars.

Does it need to be stiffer ..... very difficult to tell from a picture .. LOL
Old 09-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Does it need to be stiffer ..... very difficult to tell from a picture .. LOL
Ive printed a picture, and I can bend the pictute....