Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 19-01-2014

Default Maverick Strada XB Evo RTR Buggy for my boy / newbie?

I took my boy (hes 8 ) down to shrccc today to look at some heats, especially as they had a youth section. Hes had various cars, lower price range and hes been bugging me senseless about spending money (from father christmas of course) on something that he can atleast get some parts for when he trashes it, plus and expand his skills without breaking the bank. We have alot of tarmac near where I am, and hes keen on a buggy.

Anyway, the Maverick Strada XB seems to be in a sensible price range and I was wondering is there any similar alternatives that anyone recommends. The fact it comes with a RC system etc, I am thinking its a good starter kit for him.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 19-01-2014

My boy Is a simular age and I bought him a mad monkey rtr to race not that he uses it anymore !
Old 19-01-2014

That or this for 4wd:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-vant...roducts/379131

Or for 2wd:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/lrp-s10-...roducts/369778

Either one (inc. the Maverick) you may want to purchase a couple of extra NiMh packs & a fast charger.

http://www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com/
Old 20-01-2014

I'd also recommend the Vantage RTR.

I have the Maverick Evo and I have a Vantage and I much prefer the Vantage. It is a bit better designed and does not have the 'flexie' alloy shock mounts that the Evo has. Granted the Evo has a lot more hop-ups if you search around as it's like 5 different cars around the world (Exceed, HSP, Himoto etc etc)

The Vantage does have a full carbon spec available with alloy shocks.. if you want to take it further up the race scale.

The new Tamiya TT02B might be an option too if you want an actual kit. It's a durable design with several option parts coming this year but it is an actual KIT and not an assembled RTR. It has a plastic drive train out of the box but for an into to kit building and club racing I think it might be fun. I'm gonna order one up soon

K

ANVIL-GFX
Old 20-01-2014

Thanks for all the replies.

Just been doing some reading on the Vantage FTX and looks like I may go for that one as its on his price range. Seen some second user ones around, and some are brushless so may go for one of those, plus get the boy some extra batteries. Plus with plentiful parts it could help him develop and learn at same time.