Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 06-01-2009

Default X-5 build - steering tunnel mod

Hi guys, just looking at the steering tunnel mod and the aim of it, i'll have to double check the height of the steering link that passes through the hole, but i was thinking would it be possible just to cut a few mm out of each of the short sides of the tunnel, then glueing it back together and ending up with a solid tunnel, that still sits in the bottom of the chassis but doesnt reach up to the top of the front gear cover, allowing the belt to pass over it but then u could put tape to cover the gap created, thus keeping out dirt, im thinking that since the tunnel isnt a structual component, there wouldnt be too much stress on the points where it was glued back together and those points could even be supported by something on the inner side
Old 06-01-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

The belt is very close to catching the insert, I’m not 100% sure though it would defo catch. Anyway what I have done on mine since the beginning (3 years?) is to cut it as per instructions and then tape up the ‘inside’ of the insert to seal it up, I then run my car cleaning brush over the exposed (up facing) sticky surface to take off the sticky. So it’s effectively sealed.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 06-01-2009

ahh im getting u, sounds like a good solution, thanks