Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 16-02-2010

Default TRF511 Universal Joint Pins

I am trying to find some spare pins for the TRF511 UJs. These are a different size from the 501s and most other tamiya shafts. They are 1.6x10.4mm. I have mangaed to damage mine .

I have searched the web for the number given in the manual (9440664) with the only reference found on the USA Tamiya website.

I can find pleanty of the 501 pins that are 2mm but none that are 1.6mm - HELP!!

If anyone knows where I can get some you would make my day.

Thanks

James
Old 17-02-2010

This spare part has not been released yet. You can tell cause TamiyaUSA is still showing "out of stock". If you get really desperate, you can always purchase the DB01 WO universal set front or rear. These are the same parts found on the 511 and include the shaft, axles, pins, etc. The fronts pair even include bearings and uprights. Leave it to Tamiya to reinvent the wheel (or axle ). I still think it's INSANE that Tamiya is running a 950 bearing in the front of their off-road car now. These bearings were the bane of everyones existence when they used them in their touring cars for all those years.

Detailed parts descriptions are shown on each product page:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?....x=0&image.y=0

Here's the best deal going:
http://stores.ebay.com/Rdvtg-Hobbies...&submit=Search
Old 17-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You can get the part, I got 2 bags from rc champ, I'd try them!

With the bearing, I don't know why they made it smaller, but I've been running them for not far off a year now and never had a problem so they seem to hold up just fine!
Old 17-02-2010

Thanks for the suggestion 94eg!

However I don't want to have to spend that much to buy complete UJs just for a few pins. Why can't they just offer the spares as they do for their other UJs. The 511 has been around long enough now.

Dave, when you say you got them from rc champ do you mean just the pins? Looking at their site you have to order parts via email for international orders and it is difficult to know if they have the parts or what their reference number is.

James
Old 17-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
With the bearing, I don't know why they made it smaller, but I've been running them for not far off a year now and never had a problem so they seem to hold up just fine!
I agree. Seems to work just fine with those 950 bearings.
Old 17-02-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

acer do a 511 bearing set if you facy them.
Old 17-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFF55 View Post
acer do a 511 bearing set if you facy them.
Don't need the bearings just the pins.

I did have a set of acer bearings for my 501. Paid the extra for the ceramic balls. Will never buy from them again and would recommend people to stay clear. The quality of steel was appalling as it rusted in only a few weeks and most of them ceased up.

The standard Tamiya bearings however have shown no sign of any issues having been used in the same conditions.

Back to the pins. I have ordered some Hot Bodies pins that are 1.7x11mm. With the tolerance on the holes these might just fit. It is worth a go a least.

James
Old 17-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi there,

Just seen your reply sorry. Champ do the pins on their own (well, its the pins plus the little cross joint piece as well, but not the whole uj). Just email them to ask if they have stock, but usually if they don't it only takes a week or so to get them.

All I'd be clear on with them in your first email is that it is NOT an order at that point, your just enquiring. hey can be a little keen at thinking your doing the actual order!!

Are you only after the 1? If so tbh I can just send you one of my spares, I'll probably be doing a champ order pretty soon so can replenish my own supplies then!
Old 18-02-2010

Thanks Dave

I need all 4 unfortunately. They are all slightly bent meaning that the joints bind and are stiff.

If the 1.7mm ones don’t fit then I will try RC Champ. Thank you for the tip.

James
Old 19-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piman View Post
Don't need the bearings just the pins.

I did have a set of acer bearings for my 501. Paid the extra for the ceramic balls. Will never buy from them again and would recommend people to stay clear. The quality of steel was appalling as it rusted in only a few weeks and most of them ceased up.

James
Agreed, acer bearings are over-rated, i found a lot of mine got dirtier and clogged up quicker than standard bearings, boca bearings seem better, i got the yellow seal ones, im just finding they dont spin quite as freely as the standard ones, ive been told theres a bit of a breaking in period, but after a couple of runs they are still very smooth
Old 19-02-2010

You might want to try checking your local hobby shops for spring steel rods, most hobby shops carry them for building projects. If you can find the diameter you need, (bring some calipers with you). You can get them in lengths of about a foot and a half! They are very cheap, a couple of bucks at most. If you can find the diameter you need you can cut the rod down into the lengths of pins you need. I have done this many times to make hard to find hinge pins, axle pins and even cvd pins! The only problem is if you can find the diameter that you need, if you can it is a very inexpensive and effective replacement!
Old 19-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Bearings wise the kit ones are absolutely fine, but Tamiya also do a whole pile of special Teflon sealed ones
Old 26-02-2010

Hi Piman,

I agree, this part is not easy to find. There is two ways of getting it though:

1) You can buy part 54118 (DB01 WO Assembly Universal Shaft - front). This part includes 9440664 (2 of them). The rear universal shaft includes the part as well I believe. This is a bit expensive though (about $30-$40).

2) Otherwise, you can do a special order from this website: http://www.goldstarstockists.com/menu.htm. The website is not the best, and you won't find the part on it, but send them an e-mail. They are very nice and helpful and they will get the part for you. They will get in touch with Tamiya Japan directly.

Hope that helps,
Peter
Old 26-02-2010

Try a search on fleabay for 1.6mm drill blanks. Granted you'd have to cut them to fit but a dremel should sort it nicely. About a £1 for plenty of pins.

HTH

Mark
Old 26-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Champ do the pins on their own (well, its the pins plus the little cross joint piece as well, but not the whole uj).
You got the part number for them Dave?
Old 26-02-2010

Well the 1.7mm pins for the HB car were too large. Worth a try for a couple of quid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves View Post
Try a search on fleabay for 1.6mm drill blanks. Granted you'd have to cut them to fit but a dremel should sort it nicely. About a £1 for plenty of pins.

HTH

Mark
Excellent Mark. Will give them a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete99 View Post
Hi Piman,

I agree, this part is not easy to find. There is two ways of getting it though:

1) You can buy part 54118 (DB01 WO Assembly Universal Shaft - front). This part includes 9440664 (2 of them). The rear universal shaft includes the part as well I believe. This is a bit expensive though (about $30-$40).

2) Otherwise, you can do a special order from this website: http://www.goldstarstockists.com/menu.htm. The website is not the best, and you won't find the part on it, but send them an e-mail. They are very nice and helpful and they will get the part for you. They will get in touch with Tamiya Japan directly.

Hope that helps,
Peter
Peter, thank you for the link will give them a go if the drill blanks are no good.

Thanks for all your help.

James
Old 26-02-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via Skype™ to simoncrabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves View Post
Well, £1 for maybe 3 or 4 pins... The blanks don't seem to be very long...
Old 26-02-2010

I have found these (6th & 9th items down) that should do the trick. Will get pleanty from these and as they are stainless steel mandrels they should be pleanty strong enough as well.

http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d27.html

James
Old 26-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Agreed, acer bearings are over-rated, i found a lot of mine got dirtier and clogged up quicker than standard bearings, boca bearings seem better, i got the yellow seal ones, im just finding they dont spin quite as freely as the standard ones, ive been told theres a bit of a breaking in period, but after a couple of runs they are still very smooth
Yup, I use the yellow seal BOCA bearings myself for racing -they are excellent-. Once the grease breaks in, they will spin quick and free.. Best part is you will -never- need to clean or lubricate them

I never knew the Acer bearings had so many problems, but I had a hunch that they might.. The company focuses on hot models to sell their bearings - I guess they are hoping this distracts you from trying to find actual "specs" for their products.. I avoided Acer simply because I could not find enough information about their bearings to make a confident purchase.

BOCA on the other hand offered tons of information about every bearing they make. That's why I went with them..
Old 26-09-2010

Is the part 9440664 available meanwhile? Since Lee won the Euros there must be plenty of damaged 511 pins...
Any help is much appreciated!