Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 19-09-2008

Default getting away from belts

I am currently selling my xx4 to go towards shaft drive. Just getting your opinion,

which buggy would feel like the xx4 driving: Lazer or B44?

I do like stick packs but they don't usually handle like saddle type . I don't race at any tracks yet but i do like finding jumps etc... nearby

Last edited by rcracer1; 19-09-2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: error in text
Old 19-09-2008

Are you on crack?
Old 19-09-2008

1) Nothing handles like an XX-4. This is Gil Losi Jr.'s masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. The reason it handles so well is the suspension geometry, not the saddlepack chassis layout.

2) Stick pack lipos are light enough to where you can balance them with most electronics. If you have really small lightweight electronics, then a little ballast weight will even it out. Though you don't race, we always have to add ballast to get back to legal weight anyways. If you are using NiMH, then balance may become an issue.
Old 19-09-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf View Post
The reason it handles so well is the suspension geometry, not the saddlepack chassis layout.
I must disagree there, a XX4 and X5 with the same setup on feel very different. Both cars have the same geometry and nigh on identical weight distribution, yet feel different to drive.

Granted the X5 will have more roll inertia (wide cell spacing) and less polar/pitch inertia (due to the motor and cells being at opposite ends of the car in the XX4), but the main difference in handling IMO is mostly down to all the elastic bands connecting the front and rear wheels in the XX4
Old 19-09-2008
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
I must disagree there, a XX4 and X5 with the same ........blah.........blah.....................blah
Window masks?
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 19-09-2008

I'm not arguing that changing the position of your cells won't change the way a car feels. The X5 also uses a (asymmetric) saddlepack configuration, so it's not the saddlepack layout that makes it handle differently. I can't say that I've driven an X5, but as I understand the design philosophy, they greatly reduce the polar moment of inertia via mass centralization which results in a completely different feel while maintaining static weight distribution.

What I'm trying to say is that defining chassis handling by a category such as saddlepack and stick pack is pretty arbitrary, especially if you return the balance with ballast. I feel that there are larger factors at play such as the suspension geometry and the position of the battery - regardless of saddlepack or stick pack. Case in point are those of us running lipo stick packs in the XX-4.
Old 19-09-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Nothing handels like a xx4 Thats why im keeping mine its a beutiful car to drive on sunday at coventry It was good every where but seeing it go around some of the corners it made me smile so much it was not my best result but it was one of the happiest days racing ive had Because the car did exsactly what i wanted it to do and it was SSSOOO controlable.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 19-09-2008
Mad Member

Wooooow there young Ash. Look just right of the "m" key, you'll see two other very important keys.
Old 19-09-2008
Administrator

He spluttered that out without breathing!
Old 19-09-2008

Which ways right ?

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 19-09-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Then his head exploded.
Old 19-09-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyb4 View Post
Nothing handels like a xx4, Thats why im keeping mine its a beutiful car to drive. On sunday at coventry, It was good every where but seeing it go around some of the corners it made me smile so much. It was not my best result but it was one of the happiest days racing ive had Because the car did exsactly what i wanted it to do and it was SSSOOO controlable.

A
I can sort of do it if i try lol

Saturday was pretty good to, last night wasnt to good my cr turned into a red arrow with lots of smoke pouring out of it.

A

Old 19-09-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyb4 View Post
Which ways right ?
Theres a joke there somewhere, but maybe it's a little "old " for you.
Old 19-09-2008

oooo the < and > keys

Old 23-09-2008

great points. I guess I'm riding a pony because some of it went right over the lid!!

anyway, what then differentiates the xx4 with the B44 let's say? the motors are still up front. the batteries are in similar positions.