Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 26-03-2010

Default Tyres / wheels for RC18?

Hi, any of you RC18T owners out there got any recommendations for a reasonable value wheel / tyre combo for tarmac use?

Want to save the standard spikes / mini blocks for grass & loose stuff, and don't plan on getting the 12mm hex adaptors, so they've got to be able to fit the standard stub axles.

Had a look on MS and they didn't have any, any suggestions (with links if possible or at least where I should be looking? Thanks
Old 26-03-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

Std size tyres for the RC18 are pretty few and far between, although some Mini-T tyres may fit. The street meats are supposed to be for tarmac use, and you can get them in a hard compound...
I would recommend the hex adapters though, as you can get much more in slick and cut tyres for tourers that may be more suitable AND will last longer.
You can get Hex adapters that fit the RC18 from online retailers from the UK (and ebay in the US).

PM me for more info.
Thanks
Old 26-03-2010
oOple Advertiser

Proline "Road Rage" for the RC18 would be your best bet for that sort of use.

We have them in stock if you need some, they are part number PL1118 and currently on special offer reduced from £7.99 pr to just £4.95 per pair, then juts add the wheels of your choice (we do wheels from AE, Losi, RPM and Proline to fit)
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 26-03-2010

Thanks for the replies. This may be a daft question, but I guess the 1/10 wheel/tyre combos are quite a bit bigger diameter than the standard 1/18 ones? I like the look of 58-60mm diameter wheels on it, and don't want it to look like a Monster Truck - is this the case with 1/10 wheels or not?

I'm surprised at how few UK retailers seem to cater for the RC18 (both standard parts & hop-ups) - seems to have a really good following and support in the States... Even having trouble getting basic parts like the diff shim kit & RPM front bumper over here, oh well looks like I'll have to go with Tower or RC Mart, though think I'll order the wheels / tyres from DMS.

BTW, what would be a good 1100-1400 mah NiMh to get as a 2nd pack? Seen this on ebay, looks OK - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

cheers
BB
Old 26-03-2010
oOple Advertiser

The standard parts you mention (shims and RPM bumper) we carry in stock too (as well as ALL other standard parts as well as options from companies like Factory Team, Integy, Fastrax, RPM, Lunsford, MIP, RRP, Trinity and more) if you prefer to order from the one place and shop in the UK...

Just type "RC18" in our search and a HUGE list of stuff in stock comes up....
Old 26-03-2010

Oh, fair enough, I didn't realise you did all of that... Of course I'd prefer to get the bits from the UK...

Any thoughts on the difference in diameter if I did get the 1/10 adaptors?
Old 26-03-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

Hi again!

The RC18 is more popular as a bashing/toy rather than a car for racing IMO. The most popular car over here appears to be the FTX Blaze/LRP Shark car. It seems to be much more beefed up and heavy duty, and comes with 12mm hexes as std so fitting aftermarket wheels is dead easy. Not much help I know, but as Darren has said he is on of the best shops for 1/18 scale, as they were one of the first to stock the original Mini-T.

The 1/10th scale touring wheels look fine on the Blaze/Shark but as you rightly say may look a bit big on the RC18. However, you will have much more options with tyres, and they will probably last longer as well. People have run trued down foams using the hex adapters on the RC18 (52mm diameter). Gecko foams also seem popular as well (search online for adamsracing - he does them pretrued to 52mm as well!

HTH
Mark
Old 26-03-2010

Mark - I'll take another look at the 1/10 wheel options. A couple of other questions for you...

The truck came from ebay, and included a blue ali chassis which doesn't look like its had any use, as well as the original plastic one. Now I'm not a big bling fan - I just want it to work properly and have fun..., so after also reading that the DP Gear Cover which I want to get might not fit on an ali chassis, I'm thinking of stripping it and rebuilding everything on the original chassis. Is this a good idea or does the ali chassis add any real benefits to the way it drives (only thing I can think of is it would be more rigid)???

Also, while it looks like its had fairly light use, I do believe its quite an old model, as it didn't have the little brass sleeves over the diff outdrives (I've just bought some 8mm olives) and on the original box it says '280' motor, and I think the later trucks had a Super 370 can. However, there's no writing on the can to confirm either way (that I can see with it in-situ), so do you know if theres any other way to tell which motor it is? Like length or diameter?

Cheers
BB
Old 27-03-2010

Default rc18 parts

i av just ordered the wheel adapters and 1/10th wheels and tyres (tarmac).because of the lack of suppliers in the uk,i ad to get them from the states.thetoyz or toadztoyz av everything you need.many regards espana. p.s. the boys are rite,the rc18 is just a car park basher.
Old 27-03-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by espana View Post
i av just ordered the wheel adapters and 1/10th wheels and tyres (tarmac).because of the lack of suppliers in the uk,i ad to get them from the states.thetoyz or toadztoyz av everything you need.many regards espana. p.s. the boys are rite,the rc18 is just a car park basher.
It all depends how mucgh effort people are prepared to put in to shop in the UK, as I have said already, we are in the UK, I think safe to say fairly well known, and we have EVERYTHING that has been talked about in this thread already in stock and ready to send out (Including the 1/10th adaptors and wheels/tyres)..............

The RC18 in standard from is not up to the race levels of a Shark or Blaze, however with an Exotek TEK18 conversion fitted it is a slightly different story, it is VERY raceable.....
Old 27-03-2010

dms,hope u took no offence to my reply.just that bertberr seems new to the 1/18th scene,and the parts seemed easy to find on the sites mentioned,as the 1/10th wheel & tyres are listed in the rc18 section.glad to find ur site tho,saves ordering from over the pond.i am a rc18 die-hard,but even with the tek18 conversion+all the hop-ups.i am afraid that shark is a class ahead.
Old 27-03-2010
oOple Advertiser

No offence taken at all mate, just keen to point out that the US is not the only option to poeple like this and many UK stores (like our own) do have on offer the exaxt itesm poepl in this thread wanted.

As for the Shark, it is the most popular and best out there by far at the moment yes, however recent results and testing at variuos venues here and in the US suggest not to write off the TEK18T converted RC18's though just yet
Old 28-03-2010

DMS - OK, had a good look at your site, and yes you do have all bar one of the items I'm looking for (DP Gear Cover / Dirt Shield), so will be putting together a multiple order over the coming days once I've had a chance to put a few packs through and note any further problems / busted parts...

I have some product specific questions, but maybe a thread isn't the right place to ask? So PM sent, I'd be grateful if you could advise.

And, RC18 pro's / diehards out there, I have another question re chassis, so will start a fresh thread for that.

Cheers
BB
Old 06-04-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertberr View Post
Hi, any of you RC18T owners out there got any recommendations for a reasonable value wheel / tyre combo for tarmac use?

Want to save the standard spikes / mini blocks for grass & loose stuff, and don't plan on getting the 12mm hex adaptors, so they've got to be able to fit the standard stub axles.

Had a look on MS and they didn't have any, any suggestions (with links if possible or at least where I should be looking? Thanks

I "think" what you might be looking for is more of a general all-purpose tire option, as on-road specific tires don't seem to acclimate themselves to even dirty or dusty tarmac (and are really better on prepared/race surfaces) -- and from what I've seen the general runners/bashers out there prefer the Proline Dirt Hawgs Hawg Tires that mount straight up on the stock RC18T rims, as they are more of a general purpose/all-surfaces type tire that provide decent grip on all surfaces and are long lasting.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Proline-Dirt-H...item563b3842fa
Your local hobby shop, or the above supplier, should be able to get them for you -- and, otherwise, there is literally tons of bits and pieces you should be able to locate on eBay if nothing else.

Also, keep in mind that the RC18T like any vehicle out there (including the FTX Blaze/LRP Shark) has its positives and negatives - and all these cars/trucks need things to make them more raceable and bulletproof.

- good luck