Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 15-08-2009

Angry RE: Xray T2'009 Shattered Bearing XR941015

RE: Xray T2'009 Shattered Bearing XR941015

I finally got my Xray to the track on Friday the 14th, last night and ran in 4 races.

In no race did I exceed much more than 1/2 throttle, I had a couple of small dings with other cars but no bad crashes or hard bangs, in all, a very carefull few laps.

Upon cleaning my car this morning I saw that the blue plastic cover on the bearing XR941015 had come loose on the rear left hand ball diff bearing.
I removed the ball diff and upon taking the bearing out of it's cover part XR302078 the bearing fell apart, as shown in photo.

Now I'm not sure what it's made of, but I don't think it should just shatter in normal low speed conditions without a serious crash.

The model shop says they don't often see breaings break especicially in the Xray

I've emailed the distributor

Old 15-08-2009

Furthermore on investigation: I stripped the entire car of all it's bearings and all seem fine, except the opposite XR941015 Bearing supporting the Rear Ball Diff on the right is slightly rough compared to the front 2 on the spool, wonder if this is what caused the fault?

Rough damaged bearing shatters, maybe this one was next?

I stripped the car using the instructions in reverse making sure that everything was installed perfectly and it was, so this rules out incorrect installation.

Maybe a couple of dodgy bearings.......?
Old 15-08-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

did you lube thembefore u built the car?
ur 100% sure the belt tensioner/bearing holders were in the same way each side, thats got to be impact damage to me though
Old 15-08-2009

yes lubed and perfectly installed, Impact damage not possible as there was no impact.
Old 15-08-2009

WOW!!

Lucas, I think that is just sheer back luck. In all the years of racing, I've never known a ballrace from any manufacturer I've bought from to 'explode' like that.

I've thrashed cars to destruction, especially monster trucks years ago and never ever seen anything like this

Hope you can get it fixed for next Friday's meeting.

Regards

Scott.
Old 15-08-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas-b4-b44 View Post
yes lubed and perfectly installed, Impact damage not possible as there was no impact.
ccs failure
Old 15-08-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mole2k

It must of been a manufacturing fault, i've never noticed anything like that in any cars i've owned. Usually the bearings just get a bit rough after getting worn a bit then I just replace them. The xray bearings dont wear out particularily quickly though in my experience.

www.rcbearings.co.uk
Old 16-08-2009
Mad Member

If both bearings on the rear diff only are damaged, I would suspect either an assembly error (perhaps making the diff too wide and putting side loads on the bearings), excessively tight belt tension, or a heavy rear impact.

Diff bearings in general will last ages because they are under a tightly controlled load, especially compared to wheel bearings which suffer all kinds of impacts.
Old 16-08-2009

(1) No error in assembly I checked this.

(2) Belt tension loose & diff still loose as it was it's first run.... recommended in setup.

(3) No heavy rear impact.

(4) I think Coincidence that the other bearing is a bit rough, it could have just as easily been in the front.

(5) As others have said, even with an impact that I didn't have, a bearing shouldn't just disintegrate.
Old 16-08-2009

I,ve had two front wheel bearings go the same in my 009 , bearings dont seem as good as the older xray ones

try the auction site , als bearings full set for 009 £8.95 inc delivery acer bearings

xray nt1 - xray t3 011 - xray t3 - xray 009 - xray 008 x 2 - Hpi R40 Hara - 3 Racing F1-09
Old 19-08-2009

Thumbs up

Distributor has sorted me out, says I'm just having a bit of bad luck with my kit. He hasn't seen a bearing go like that either, under the circumstances. I must say the support for Xray is 2nd to none