Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > North East

Old 18-08-2011

Default 10 Years out, Thinking of making a comeback

Hello to all... im new to the site.

I packed in racing 10years ago after racing for 7years between the age of 9-17. I started racing at Peterlee Buggy club when it was in its prime in the early 90's and raced at Durham City Model Car Club in its hay day at Belmont School and Nissan. I loved racing but got to the age where drinking and going round mates houses was more appealing. I am now, however, of the age (27) where im married housed and fathered and im starting to get "twitchy thumbs". With being out of the Sport as long as i have i feel im very much out of touch with whats going on in the wonerful world of RC Racing these days. I know after speaking to Bill Alison on facebook that you guys race up at seaham every other sunday, what times is this on? and are there any other venues localy that hold regular meetings? Also what cars are most popular these days? my last car was a Predator XK98 and i absolutely loved that car. They're not around anymore though are they? Im completely out of touch with what radio gear is being used now... im 27 and like a dinosaur.
Old 18-08-2011
Mad Member

Hi,

Welcome back.

The predator has been updated and Is a good car in some peoples hands, although it's not for me. The most popular cars at the minute are the tamiya 511, associated b44.1, Durango dex 410, kyosho fs2, and cat sx3.

If your starting out again and you have a budget then I alwas recommend a second hand associated b44 you can pick a good one up for around £100-120 mark.

Radio gear - 2.4 ghz is the thing to have. Crystals are a thing of the past. Spektrum are popular as are the other older brands futaba, ko, Sanwa.

Cells, you will need one or two lipo packs only, I use smc 5200 mah 60's. No longer is power a problem. You good go for well I've the 10 minute mark..

Motor/speedo - brushless. Speed passion, orca, the new Orion, are a few that are popular. Get the best esc you can afford. I use speed passions gt pro, and lpf. Motor wise for a 4wd a 5.5t or 6.5t. You need one motor, my current motor has been in the car a year. I've not touched it since putting it in.

Servo's the savox range is popular, get a fast metal geared servo.

Charger and imax b6 style charger load of peole have rebranded this charger.

Thanks

Matt
Old 18-08-2011
Mad Member

Ko esprit 3 universe with a spectrum 2.4 module pack with 3500 micro receiver ;0)
Old 18-08-2011
Super Moderator

Welcome back Dave
I would say go to your local track & see what the guys there are racing, try asking the guys there if you could do a few slow laps with their cars to get a feel of them, also check out your local model shop & see what they stock, although not essential what with the amount of online shops these days it's still good to support your local model shop
Apart from that i think Matt has covered most things
Good luck
Old 18-08-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Forster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDunn View Post
Hello to all... im new to the site.

I packed in racing 10years ago after racing for 7years between the age of 9-17. I started racing at Peterlee Buggy club when it was in its prime in the early 90's and raced at Durham City Model Car Club in its hay day at Belmont School and Nissan. I loved racing but got to the age where drinking and going round mates houses was more appealing. I am now, however, of the age (27) where im married housed and fathered and im starting to get "twitchy thumbs". With being out of the Sport as long as i have i feel im very much out of touch with whats going on in the wonerful world of RC Racing these days. I know after speaking to Bill Alison on facebook that you guys race up at seaham every other sunday, what times is this on? and are there any other venues localy that hold regular meetings? Also what cars are most popular these days? my last car was a Predator XK98 and i absolutely loved that car. They're not around anymore though are they? Im completely out of touch with what radio gear is being used now... im 27 and like a dinosaur.

Have you got a brother called richard ???

Ive seen some of the racing at st bedes school indoor and outdoor and the model shop that used to be next to caterpillar

Should get yourself along to seaham youth centre, think it will be on next sunday from 6-10pm as there having building work done.............

heres a link for the website

http://www.neamotorsport.co.uk/

Old 18-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter24 View Post
Have you got a brother called richard ???

I certainly do. We both used to race at peterlee and durham. Do you know him? Did you race at peterlee or durham at all? Im going to come along next week, i was asking bill alison about local racing these days and was surprised to hear racing is at seaham now.

Thanks for all the feedback lads. (matt especially.. immense help). Gunna have a good look around. Are 2nd hand Preds easy to come by or are they quite rare, theyre team xtreme now aren't they? My Pred was always good to me and it would be nice to have one again. It might take me a couple of months to get eveything i need and want but fingers crossed ill be back on that rostrum before long.
Old 19-08-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Forster

Quote:
I certainly do. We both used to race at peterlee and durham. Do you know him? Did you race at peterlee or durham at all? Im going to come along next week, i was asking bill alison about local racing these days and was surprised to hear racing is at seaham now.

Thanks for all the feedback lads. (matt especially.. immense help). Gunna have a good look around. Are 2nd hand Preds easy to come by or are they quite rare, theyre team xtreme now aren't they? My Pred was always good to me and it would be nice to have one again. It might take me a couple of months to get eveything i need and want but fingers crossed ill be back on that rostrum before long.

I used to live in acre rigg road years ago, and went to college with richard and even been to your house once (dog called rusty) thats how i saw the racing inddors at st bedes with your richard other than that i always saw the racing on the field during the summer but never started racing until april this year................seaham is on this weekend so get yourself there and if i get back home from camping early enough then i will be there racing aswell
Old 19-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:

They come up now and again. I would go to your local club and see what everyone else is running. You don't want to be the only person running a Pred as if you break it and you've not got a spare part then it's night/day over.

Any more question, I'm happy to help.

Matt
Old 19-08-2011
Mad Member

I will be at Seaham this Sunday, come and find me and I will tell you everything you need to know about 10th off road racing!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 19-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68nufc View Post
I will be at Seaham this Sunday, come and find me and I will tell you everything you need to know about 10th off road racing!
You gonna ring me like?
Old 19-08-2011

2o+ years out and now started again, so many changes : lipos : WOW. LISTEN/LOOK and check your local club,good luck.
Old 19-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7ELA View Post
You gonna ring me like?
Ha, right, you don't need club racing now cos you are a national Contender!

Would rather go to work wouldn't you!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 19-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:

Might call past the Euro's and TQ a couple of legs first.
Old 19-08-2011

Quote:

Getting some indoor practice for his Worksop 'A' finals!

Hope to make it Sunday Chris !

Back on topic , as already said best come to the club and see what people are running .
Old 19-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyp View Post
Getting some indoor practice for his Worksop 'A' finals!

Hope to make it Sunday Chris !

Back on topic , as already said best come to the club and see what people are running .
Some people have 15 - 20 cars to choose from...!
Old 19-08-2011

Come and see the Much More champ if you want info, I'll bring the trophy and let everyone hold it if they want?
Old 19-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpackster1980 View Post
Come and see the Much More champ if you want info, I'll bring the trophy and let everyone hold it if they want?
Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ, Champ!

Old 19-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter24 View Post
I used to live in acre rigg road years ago, and went to college with richard and even been to your house once (dog called rusty) thats how i saw the racing inddors at st bedes with your richard other than that i always saw the racing on the field during the summer but never started racing until april this year................seaham is on this weekend so get yourself there and if i get back home from camping early enough then i will be there racing aswell
Well well, small world. lol. whats ya name? ya talkin about 11/12 year ago there. peterlee buggy club at st bedes was great back then. im gunna see if rick wants to come up when i get to seaham... is it on both this sunday and next? im living in buckingham road now by the way.